Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:21 pm

@Yuurei - I've actually been trying to study Dutch for a good few years! I have the opposite of Wanderlust with Dutch: I try and try to fit it in, but it never quite sticks! And I adore Finnish. I really do. The more I learn (not much), the more I like it (a lot)! I'm nowhere near my goal of being able to produce one grammatically correct Finnish sentence, however.

---

Not much doing. I got more personal points in På Spåret this week - 6! Our team got 40 points. My partner is asking if I am disclaimering this, so: we were a team of six people, plus a dog. We paused and discussed things. We argued hotly about the names of birds, among other things. I was great fun, and I am looking forward to the next week. I have read more books in English, and one manga in French translation: L'Enfant et le maudit. I'm going back to London for Christmas and my birthday, while there I will try to bring back one more of my many German books.
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Elenia wrote:I have read more books in English, and one manga in French translation: L'Enfant et le maudit.
I almost bought an english book yesterday, and had to steel myself to walk to the library instead and get a french one. It ain't easy!

(The french book was not bad, it had an upbeat ending which is always a plus with me, but the english book would have been the new Lee Child!! Grrrrr.)
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Elenia wrote:I got more personal points in På Spåret this week - 6! Our team got 40 points.

Damn, your team beat me by 2 points! :cry: (I got 38)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Elenia wrote:I got more personal points in På Spåret this week - 6! Our team got 40 points.

Damn, your team beat me by 2 points! :cry: (I got 38)

Ah, but really you beat us. We were six people and playing with the above rules after all, pausing for each clue and discussing, and using subtitles. My partner and I are both incredibly impressed!

DaveBee wrote:I almost bought an english book yesterday, and had to steel myself to walk to the library instead and get a french one. It ain't easy!

(The french book was not bad, it had an upbeat ending which is always a plus with me, but the english book would have been the new Lee Child!! Grrrrr.)

I try not to forbid myself from reading English books (as I own so many that I haven't read, have even more that I want to own and read and both these lists keep on growing!) but I instead try to add in TL books that I think will actually interest me. I have quite a number of Swedish books on the go, including 'Carry On, Jeeves!' in (excellent) translation. The rules I have tend actually to making sure I don't start too many books at one go, regardless of language. At one point I had 30 books on my Goodreads 'Currently Reading' shelf, which was no where near the amount of books I had actually started and intended to finish 'one day'!

All that being said, I've read three books in French this year - all translations - and one original book in Swedish. I've read more books this year than I have in the past five years at the least, so I'm counting it as a win, even though I read less TL books than I did the year before. Besides, there's still time!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Well, it's a new year. I have language goals! Unfortunately I wrote them down in a notebook which didn't make it back to Sweden with me, so I'm gonna have to improvise. They're basically all 'get better at them' though anyway, so...

Swedish tops the list with the main goal being improving grammar, vocabulary and accuracy.
German comes second, with learning grammar and vocabulary.
Finnish comes third. Here I want to understand more. (The yearly rewatch of Rare Exports was excellent and I feel like I understood more than the year before although, of course, I would be entirely lost without subtitles). I need to understand better how Finnish sounds. I seriously have no clue. I want to be able to have a basic conversation by May, even if I don't make it to the Gathering.
Korean comes fourth, and here I just want to learn how it sounds and maybe pick up a few words.

About the gathering: I really do want to go, but don't know if I'll be able to afford it. I have a temporary job now but as I'll be GETTING MARRIED in July I'll probably have to put most money towards that.

And yeah. I'm getting married.

Happy New Year, all!

EDIT: Typo (thanks Spoon!)
Last edited by Elenia on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Congratulations!!!!

This is probably the best New Year's News I've got this year!!!
I am so happy for you!
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Congratulations!!!
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Congratulations Elenia! Oh and if you really don't want to go to the gathering and can't afford it, don't go :lol: (I think you may have left a typo in there). :P
3 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Congratulations. :-)
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Wooo Hoooo!!!!! Ayibobo! Parabéns!!!! ¡Enhorabuena! Felisitasiones!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”