Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Elenia wrote:Finally, a question I have been meaning to ask for quite a while: Have any of you seen any of these series/films?
- Ze inconnus story
- Parents: mode d'emploi
-Va, Vis et deviens
?

I have them sitting on my desk at work. They'll only be £1 each, but it's no use buying them if I won't want to watch them - especially as I currently have nothing to watch them on.
I think I've seen the mode d'emploi one on youtube. It's one of the short form french sitcoms-sketch shows. Worth-a-quid.

I've started watching a french dub, of a german production, of a columbian TV show: Le destin de Lisa. Finally I get to see what all this 3,000 episode telenovela malarky is about!

I don't think I could deal with 3,000,000 episodes in French :shock: 3 is about my limit!
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue May 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Elenia wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
Elenia wrote:Finally, a question I have been meaning to ask for quite a while: Have any of you seen any of these series/films?
- Ze inconnus story
-Va, Vis et deviens
?

I have them sitting on my desk at work. They'll only be £1 each, but it's no use buying them if I won't want to watch them - especially as I currently have nothing to watch them on.
I think I've seen the mode d'emploi one on youtube. It's one of the short form french sitcoms-sketch shows. Worth-a-quid.

I've started watching a french dub, of a german production, of a columbian TV show: Le destin de Lisa. Finally I get to see what all this 3,000 episode telenovela malarky is about!

I don't think I could deal with 3,000,000 episodes in French :shock: 3 is about my limit!
I'm having a bit of a problem with the good guy-bad guy storyline.

The bad guy is ok. He has brylcreamed hair, and wears lots of dark clothes, so he's clearly a bad lot. But the good guy is mean to the lead actress, a drunk, and cheats on his fiance. I'm not seeing the Bobby Ewing there!

Have you taken your french Jane Austen DVD for a test drive yet?
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue May 09, 2017 11:19 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Elenia wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
- Ze inconnus story
-Va, Vis et deviens
?

The bad guy is ok. He has brylcreamed hair, and wears lots of dark clothes, so he's clearly a bad lot. But the good guy is mean to the lead actress, a drunk, and cheats on his fiance. I'm not seeing the Bobby Ewing there!

Have you taken your french Jane Austen DVD for a test drive yet?

A 'tortured, so I torture' good guy - my favourite :roll:

I haven't yet! I need to look into whether or not we have something with a working disk drive in my house, and then find the time to watch it. I'm pretty sure I can convince my mum to watch with me, so hopefully no one will mind if I commandeer a TV...
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Elenia wrote:I don't think I could deal with 3,000,000 episodes in French :shock: 3 is about my limit!

Are we talking about the elections here? Thank god those are over, I was really getting lost in the plot and characters sometimes, and it felt endless! And the next season comes out pretty soon. :-D

(sorry, not trying to open any discussion about the results, I just found it a perfect analogy)

I've started watching a french dub, of a german production, of a columbian TV show

Something's missing here... I know! The Finnish subtitles!
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Clozemaster streak of five days for all active study languages, anki for Finnish relatively regularly, teeny bit of course listening in the morning if I have time. Also read about 70-80 pages of Nyckeln today, which was great. But such a long book! I'm almost at page three hundred and have about five hundred more to go. My 'currently reading' list has crept back up to twenty books again, so when I'm done with this I feel I should make a real effort on getting it back to something more reasonable. But then I also have an entire pile of books given to me my people at work which I really ought to read, not to mention several other piles of books that I have bought and not yet read...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I have a problem.
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 am

Elenia wrote:Clozemaster streak of five days for all active study languages, anki for Finnish relatively regularly, teeny bit of course listening in the morning if I have time. Also read about 70-80 pages of Nyckeln today, which was great. But such a long book! I'm almost at page three hundred and have about five hundred more to go. My 'currently reading' list has crept back up to twenty books again, so when I'm done with this I feel I should make a real effort on getting it back to something more reasonable. But then I also have an entire pile of books given to me my people at work which I really ought to read, not to mention several other piles of books that I have bought and not yet read...

Only 20?

I hide books from my goodreads because I can't stand seeing so many started. I'll just start new stuff and not put it on "reading" until I'm done. :oops:

(Help me over half our boxes to move are books. No really don't send help, send more books. And snacks.)
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 am

Systematiker wrote:I hide books from my goodreads because I can't stand seeing so many started. I'll just start new stuff and not put it on "reading" until I'm done. :oops:

(Help me over half our boxes to move are books. No really don't send help, send more books. And snacks.)

You are my people. :D

I made a new "got-distracted" GoodReads shelf to move books from "currently-reading" into. And yeah, book boxes in storage right now are quite a large percentage of the total boxes. :P
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat May 13, 2017 1:23 pm

arthaey wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I hide books from my goodreads because I can't stand seeing so many started. I'll just start new stuff and not put it on "reading" until I'm done. :oops:

You are my people. :D

I made a new "got-distracted" GoodReads shelf to move books from "currently-reading" into. And yeah, book boxes in storage right now are quite a large percentage of the total boxes. :P

Books in storage were easier - it was all SF and fantasy paperbacks, and anything I would have wanted I got digitally long ago. They'd been in storage for a decade by then, I figured I wouldn't miss them. I offered my friends the books, and one couple said they'd take them; I think I gave them 15 boxes or so. Made everyone happy, if a little overwhelmed.

I might do that in Goodreads - mine is hopeless anyway, though, I get motivated to add books and organize for a couple days and then give up and only add new stuff...I also didn't understand it correctly when I first started, I've got some stuff in there as the wrong version or with stupid reviews (I thought they were my notes, not public reviews). I was so excited when I found it, though - my mom used to keep a list of every book I read when I was a child, but she gave up before I entered high school.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sat May 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Systematiker wrote:
Elenia wrote:Clozemaster streak of five days for all active study languages, anki for Finnish relatively regularly, teeny bit of course listening in the morning if I have time. Also read about 70-80 pages of Nyckeln today, which was great. But such a long book! I'm almost at page three hundred and have about five hundred more to go. My 'currently reading' list has crept back up to twenty books again, so when I'm done with this I feel I should make a real effort on getting it back to something more reasonable. But then I also have an entire pile of books given to me my people at work which I really ought to read, not to mention several other piles of books that I have bought and not yet read...

Only 20?

I hide books from my goodreads because I can't stand seeing so many started. I'll just start new stuff and not put it on "reading" until I'm done. :oops:

You say 'only' because you don't know about my 'on-hold' shelf which currently numbers 50 books...
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Finally back from Bratislava! In fact, I'm on the train back to London now, so I best make this short!

I won't say anything more about the gathering than that I loved every second of it, and I'm rearing to get back into my languages. I've not done anything at all these past few weeks and as you can clearly see I was only just clearing Clozemaster before that.

I don't know if I've mentioned here, but last Tuesday was my last day at work. Of course I've spent the week since in Bratislava and - ironically enough - haven't studied a bit, but I'm hoping to change that. I have a month and a bit before I'll be moving to Sweden and although I have lots to do in the intervening time, including a trip to Cyprus and a trip to Paris, I'm hoping to dive back in.

I'm also, temporarily, going to take up tourist Greek. We'll be in the Greek speaking area of Cyprus and while I know that pretty much everyone I come across will speak English, I still want to make the effort. Being in Bratislava and not even having the words to say hello, please, yes, no, thank you and goodbye was frustrating and uncomfortable. I'm not yet sure how I will approach the language. I actually dabbled in biblical Greek when I was about 9 or 10, so I'm hoping that the alphabet comes back easily. I also know that my half-remembered Cyrillic will help me with this. Otherwise, I have absolutely no idea, but that's okay!

Okay, a bit more gathering stuff. I decided that by the next gathering (which I will obviously be attending!) I will be comfortable speaking French and German, and that I'll be able to get beyond the 'Hyvä päivää's in Finnish. I have also not decided whether I should learn Catalan... or Spanish.

:o

I know, the language I said I'd never felt any desire to learn! What a bombshell!

My train is approaching the station now so on that note, I shall leave you!

À plus!
12 x

Return to “Language logs”