Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:39 am

And what's the novel called?
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

I knew those two questions would come! Tage wie diese and Feuerjäger, respectively.

As I've been keeping up with the topics I subscribe to and the others that are interesting, I didn't realise I hadn't actually posted. In fact, I was almost convinced that I had!

Today has been fairly productive so far. I've worked through the first week of a course I'm doing on translation on FutureLearn - Working With Translation - and I have also finally almost completed the first week of the academic writing test that started three weeks ago :oops: I'll finish the week today and should hopefully make a start on week two, too. I think the course finishes this week, so I really should get a move on.

I've also made use of a targeted offer to get me back to storytel. I had been debating whether or not I should go back, as I don't currently have good headphones. But for only 9SEK I couldn't really say no. It's also perfect timing, as I finally got hold of Darm mit Charme. I will go for some kind of trilingual LR experience with the English and German texts and the Swedish audio.
2 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 pm

You should check out Ballast der Republik then, which is the album Tage wie diese is on. It's a bit different to some of their earlier stuff.

What kind of music do you generally like? There must be some more German music out there for you!
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Am I the only one who first thought of Tage wie diese by Juli??!! :o :shock: :?
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:14 am

Swedish
  • 3 pages of semi-intensive reading 0/3
  • One passage of translation 2/1
  • Extensive listening totaling at least an hour 0.05/1
  • 100 words writing 0/100
    German
  • One page intensive reading 0/1
    Finnish
  • One lesson of Assimil or From Start to Finnish 1/1
  • Two sentences of extensive reading 0/2

Pretty dismal, all told. The translation stuff I did do more of than expected, but that was on the fly translation rather than looking properly at words and meanings and all of that wonderful stuff. I'd intended to watch På Spåret with my boyfriend but didn't get round to it during the allotted time, so there went my extensive listening. I tried to write one hundred words of something but simply couldn't. I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was I wanted to read three pages of in Swedish and I was too lazy to pull out my books in German and Finnish.

However, I have been fairly regular with Finnish ANKI and Clozemaster for all languages, so there is that.

Same goals for next week, with one passage of extensive reading from Text i fokus for Swedish.
5 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Well, that went well. All things other than work ground to a halt a bit. I bought a book of short stories translated into Swedish, and have been reading my way through them, slowly. I've also copied out a couple into my excerpts notebook and will undoubtedly copy a few more. I'm really enjoying them. The book is by Lydia Davis and is called Jag har det rätt bekväm men skulle kunna ha det lite bekvämare - Can't and Won't in English. Other than that, no reading, writing, listening or speaking. So it goes, so it goes...

I'll be going on holiday from Friday, four days in France and then seven days in Sweden. I'll be taking along my French Ancillary Justice to get me back into the swing of things. I would have also liked to watch an episode or three of Les Revenants but I haven't had the time or energy.
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:01 am

I am very amused by how long the book title is in Swedish compared to English! Enjoy your holiday - relax!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:20 am

A post of mine in this log seems to have disappeared? I am fairly certain I did write it, but can't find it. Oh well.

---

I have been reading La Justice de l'ancillaire and have gotten about halfway through since Friday. I hope to have finished it before flying back home on Monday. The reading is much easier now. This is probably the longest thing I have read in French, aside from the Pratchett translation I read. It would be much better if I could find things to read in French that I actually enjoy, then I would maybe consider caring about the language and its upkeep. As it is - meh.

While in France, I spoke the smallest amount of French possible. I managed most commercial transactions okay. I also managed to get a piercing done and understand most of the care instructions. Finally, I managed to hold a bilingual conversation with someone where I was spoken to in French and responded in English. We both have the same issues so actually that worked really well :lol:

Here in Sweden things are going better, I feel. I am understanding pretty much all that is said to me and having no problem with commercial transactions at all. By contrast, I am not speak much Swedish, which is probably bad. I have bought a new book called Häxans Trädgård. It was between this book and Herbariet: Växter till mat, magi och medecin which I have wanted for ages, but this is prettier. They are both books about uses for different plants.

Finally, my boyfriend bought me a lovely little book in Swedish on Finnish folklore :mrgreen: it was published in 1967 and the pages have yet to be cut :!: I'm looking forward to it!
5 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:31 pm

So after this mornings post we met a friend and went on a small visit to Helsingborg - and on the train there met some Swiss francophones and a Swedish lady who spoke French. We joined in there conversation a little bit every now and again, and spoke in a mixture of French, Swedish and English, more or less in that order. It was very enjoyable, and I even got complimented a little bit on my accent!
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Elenia wrote:French*
Books
Currently Reading - La Justice de l'ancillaire, Terrienne

TV
Currently Watching - Les Revenants, Kaamelott

*A note - I have omitted 'Films' from this list not because I haven't watched any, but rather that I have watched more than I care to list. A course on French cinema can do that to a girl.

1. Had you read Ancillary Justice in English? If yes, how was the translation?
2. How do you like Les Revenants?
3. Do you think Kaamelott is as difficult as some (Cavesa?) say?
4. Can you give us at least a couple French films you watched and liked?
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language logs”