Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 pm

rdearman wrote:
Elenia wrote:I've been using my phone's 'night shift' option, but I think the best thing is still for me to have at least a screen free hour. Otherwise I lose that whole hour playing games on my phone instead of doing something sensible :? At least a screen free half hour should do?

I know I'm much older than you, and so you might not have heard of this thing I'm going to suggest, so I put a picture of it below. It is called a book. They invented them a long time ago, but they still make them! They are made from dead trees and they have writing in them. They are really good for the eyes, and they often can put you to sleep all by themselves.

:)

I find these dead tree things are very useful when you need to relax the eyes.

I bought one once, but it was broken. Couldn't even get it to turn on :?
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Elenia wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Elenia wrote:I've been using my phone's 'night shift' option, but I think the best thing is still for me to have at least a screen free hour. Otherwise I lose that whole hour playing games on my phone instead of doing something sensible :? At least a screen free half hour should do?

I know I'm much older than you, and so you might not have heard of this thing I'm going to suggest, so I put a picture of it below. It is called a book. They invented them a long time ago, but they still make them! They are made from dead trees and they have writing in them. They are really good for the eyes, and they often can put you to sleep all by themselves.

Did you check the batteries?
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:
rdearman wrote:

Did you check the batteries?

You mean I can check them myself? I don't have to take it back to the shop?
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:50 am

It turns out that the class I've been accepted into includes around 2,250 pages of reading, not including the 'further material' that will be handed out in class :shock: How will I manage this? And what about the other students?! Bearing in mind that I am taking this as a standalone class, whereas many of the other students are doing it as part of a full masters degree.

In other news, on Saturday we played Dialect with a few friends. It's a really cool game, based around discussion with a few role-playing elements. YKYALNW-points for our playing a game about language change and death in our spare time, double points to me for playing almost entirely in Swedish :mrgreen: We were two non-native speakers and three natives, and at the start they asked us if we would rather play in Swedish or in English. We said Swenglish was fine, but that we would play as much in Swedish as we could. We certainly did well (and my boyfriend took things a step further by even translating a band name into Swedish. Thoughts on Dödstaxi för sötnos, anyone?). It took about six hours (with pizza pause) but was really fun. I'm looking forward to playing again!

Otherwise, I have played probably about (at least) seventy points for one language combination on Clozemaster. Just three more to go, now.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 am

Glad you like games. You'll be able to participate in our D&D (in French) sessions in Bratislava. :ugeek:
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

rdearman wrote:Glad you like games. You'll be able to participate in our D&D (in French) sessions in Bratislava. :ugeek:

Wait, we're playing French D&D in Bratislava? Count me in! :D
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Yuurei wrote:
rdearman wrote:Glad you like games. You'll be able to participate in our D&D (in French) sessions in Bratislava. :ugeek:

Well... Not really confirmed, but zenmonkey was willing to DM in French, and he did say he could probably manage a bit of Spanish thrown in. So assuming he is still up for it. Yeah. Not official D&D rules, but rather Basic Fantasy rules, which are available in English, French, German and Italian.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm

rdearman wrote:
Yuurei wrote:

Well... Not really confirmed, but zenmonkey was willing to DM in French, and he did say he could probably manage a bit of Spanish thrown in. So assuming he is still up for it. Yeah. Not official D&D rules, but rather Basic Fantasy rules, which are available in English, French, German and Italian.

I'm in - but I haven't DMed in 30+ years. We'll have to do a bit of prep! Do we have a world or is world building something I need to think about?
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:20 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Yuurei wrote:

I'm in - but I haven't DMed in 30+ years. We'll have to do a bit of prep! Do we have a world or is world building something I need to think about?

They have modules you can download on the website. So world building shouldn't be required. :)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm

It sucks I can't come :-(
0 x

Return to “Language logs”