Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 pm

I 'read' a page of my Finnish Agatha Christie novel. Really it was just the character introductions, but I surprised myself by sometimes being able to understand whole sentence fragments at a time! At other times, a sentence didn't make sense even after I'd google translated each individual word and then the sentence.

I also found an Agatha Christie novel in Romanian, sitting on a book crossing table at a tube station. So there's that, now, too...

EDIT: The problem isn't my book buying - although I probably buy books beyond my means. It's the fact that I read so much less than I buy. I have bought probably four times more books than I have read this year, and the number of unread books on my shelves [and my floor!] only ever seems to go up.
9 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:11 pm

It's been a busy and exhausting week and a half. I spent seven days in Cyprus, where I spoke absolutely no Greek, because I couldn't remember anything useful and everyone spoke impeccable English. My mum pulled out a few Greek phrases (prompting one taxi driver to ask if she was Greek - she does have a very light complexion). Apparently her neighbours when she was growing up were Greek and taught her these phrases, and they've stuck with her ever since. The interesting thing is that the few words I learnt from using Language Transfer were all that stuck with me. I still don't know whether it'd be good for kids, but I can definitely see what all the fuss is about!

On the same day I returned from Cyprus, I travelled to Paris to visit a friend. I didn't speak as much French as I perhaps could or should have, but I did chat in French a little bit in a club, and we also watched the film 'Les Exs' in the cinema. It was my first proper visit to Paris, and I've decided that I really like it! I still think that the London Underground is easier to understand than the Métro, although my friend thinks otherwise!

Moving day fast approaches, and all I've done to prepare is get rid of a few clothes and lend out a few books. Oops! :oops:
13 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 pm

Moving day update:
Today I wrote a list of books I really want to bring with me. They number 29. And I know I didn't get all of them (everything on my currently reading list, for example, has been excluded. That's a further twenty-something books). I only have 30kg of luggage.

Other stuff - languages? Yeah. Languages.

A friend from the gathering asked if I'd be interested in interrailing round the Benelux region at some point this year, to which the natural answer was OF COURSE ifIhavefunds. So then I started Duolingo Nederlands. I also spent some time transcribing a bit of 'Tältet', which is my absolute favourite story from Sommarboken. I have been listening to the whole book on tenterhooks for this, but I was caught of guard when the story started! When it is all transcribed I will check it - I had my boyfriend write out the story for me in a letter.

And finally I got back to Clozemaster. It had been a while. As well as my usual languages, I added Dutch from I think two different sources. I will also look for more language combinations, although I know that's silly. I'm debating adding Danish. I have it as a base language for French for some bizarre reason.

That's about all. I have a load of books I should try to read before I go. I've started one from a friend that I was never particularly keen on reading, and I'm wondering if I should just confess to her that I'm not interested.
5 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Elenia wrote:I've started one from a friend that I was never particularly keen on reading, and I'm wondering if I should just confess to her that I'm not interested.
No!

Avoid the subject. Change the subject. Never say 'meh' of a gift.

PS
Best of luck with the move!

EDIT
Elenia wrote:everything on my currently reading list, for example, has been excluded. That's a further twenty-something books
I was telling myself off the other day about having four books in play. You make me feel suddenly virtuous and disciplined. :-)
Last edited by DaveBee on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:18 am

Elenia wrote:Moving day update:
Today I wrote a list of books I really want to bring with me. They number 29. And I know I didn't get all of them (everything on my currently reading list, for example, has been excluded. That's a further twenty-something books). I only have 30kg of luggage.

:lol: I now have a pretty funny mental image of you weighing a huge pile of books. Good luck! Ship them to yourself? Apparently there are cheap options? (Although probably not to Sweden!)
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 am

MamaPata wrote:
Elenia wrote:Moving day update:

:lol: I now have a pretty funny mental image of you weighing a huge pile of books. Good luck! Ship them to yourself? Apparently there are cheap options? (Although probably not to Sweden!)

Another good reason to go digital ;) . A Kindle Paperwhite weighs 200 grams and you could bring 100 times the number of books you've listed.

Elenia wrote:The problem isn't my book buying - although I probably buy books beyond my means. It's the fact that I read so much less than I buy. I have bought probably four times more books than I have read this year, and the number of unread books on my shelves [and my floor!] only ever seems to go up.

Tell me about it! Only I almost exclusively buy e-books, which means I've probably bought ten times more books than I have read. :shock: And there's the danger with e-readers. It just takes a click or a touch of your finger to add another book to your collection. I once bought five Russian books in two minutes at 10 past midnight...
7 x
Ich grolle nicht

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for the good luck wishes! I'll definitely need it!

DaveBee wrote:No!

Avoid the subject. Change the subject. Never say 'meh' of a gift.

PS
Best of luck with the move!

EDIT
Elenia wrote:everything on my currently reading list, for example, has been excluded. That's a further twenty-something books
I was telling myself off the other day about having four books in play. You make me feel suddenly virtuous and disciplined. :-)

Ah, but it's not a gift. She very definitely wants it back - although I don't particularly want the book I lent her in return. And I'm glad my ridiculous reading habits help justify your really quite sensible habits! I should really move some of those over to my 'hold' list (and I should probably move some on the 'on hold' list to 'abandoned', but I'm not yet ready to admit defeat!)

MamaPata wrote: :lol: I now have a pretty funny mental image of you weighing a huge pile of books. Good luck! Ship them to yourself? Apparently there are cheap options? (Although probably not to Sweden!)

I know from work that it was cheaper to use DHL than royal mail for heavier packages, whether they were going to the continent or otherwise. A former volunteer also mentioned a handy company whose name I have now completely forgotten. D'oh!

Ogrim wrote:[...]

Another good reason to go digital ;) . A Kindle Paperwhite weighs 200 grams and you could bring 100 times the number of books you've listed.

[...]

Tell me about it! Only I almost exclusively buy e-books, which means I've probably bought ten times more books than I have read. :shock: And there's the danger with e-readers. It just takes a click or a touch of your finger to add another book to your collection. I once bought five Russian books in two minutes at 10 past midnight...

I guess I'm quite lucky in that I find it very difficult to finish standard ebooks. I don't know why. The only one I've ever managed has been a Pratchett in French. I now just use my kindle apps for samples. No temptation to buy even more books (I don't even need that temptation!) Thankfully I've only ever bought one Russian book at a more reasonable time - the Russian bookshop in Waterstones Piccadilly is only open until 10pm! Of course, I don't read any Russian, so I don't know if I should really be mentioning this...!

Morgana wrote:I have this same problem with other media, but not with books yet as I haven't started reading. I am sure I will have to exert wicked self-control once I start down that road. I love the convenience of everything being digital, but sometimes it is too convenient...

Elenia - good luck with the move!

This counts books in all languages for me. I read most (and best) in Swedish and English, yet I have a ridiculously large collection of German books (quite a few of which are doorstep-sized fantasy), a good few books in French which I don't think I've ever even opened, a few books in Norwegian, some strange self-pubbed Dutch/English hybrid, two Finnish books, a couple of Korean picture books, a Japanese book which includes the illustration of a happy poo, a Romanian book and the aforementioned Russian book. And of course, the 100+ English books which I have bought or been given and have yet to read.

Oh, dear.

---

More Duo, more clozemaster. I spent almost all of yesterday lying down uselessly, achieving nothing. Today I'm going to visit my grandmothers so I doubt I'll get much done. I should listen to a podcast, but the only podcast I want to listen to right now is Nightvale. I'm not much in the mood for either Grönsakslandet or Stickkontakt. I might try later to transcribe some more of 'Tältet' so that I'm through that section of the current audiobook. I could also switch to another - Charmen med tarmen is certainly worth a relisten. I previously tried listening to it while reading the German, but that was too hard. My German may or may not be better now, but I might try again anyway.

Jeff and Morgana have both sent me liferafts in the form of helpful articles on Biffregeln and bisatser in general, and I was refilled with the desire to create a grammar info sheet for my neglected folder. And then I wondered how on earth I was going to bring that with me. And then I remembered about the two boxes full of notebooks and papers under my bed. I best get digitising!
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am

I had mountains of books and other stuff in my parents' house for years after moving to Norway. If you have relatives with a bit of spare room, maybe you can stash some stuff there. And anytime anyone comes to visit you, they have to fill any extra space in their suitcase with books for you. ;)
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 am

Elenia wrote:Ah, but it's not a gift. She very definitely wants it back - although I don't particularly want the book I lent her in return.
OK, so use your move as excuse, and just give it back. Have to concentrate on your swedish language reading, won't have time. Don't have luggage space (for your book too?). Thanks ever so. etc.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:40 am

Ogrim wrote:Tell me about it! Only I almost exclusively buy e-books, which means I've probably bought ten times more books than I have read. :shock: And there's the danger with e-readers. It just takes a click or a touch of your finger to add another book to your collection. I once bought five Russian books in two minutes at 10 past midnight...

Book purchases always seem so justifiable in the wee hours don't they? That seems to be when I accumulate must of my surplus.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”