Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Regarding streaming services. I had just finished the Norwegian series Monster (on SVTPlay), and continued reading about it on various pages, including NRK - which said I couldn't view it from my country (any more?). Just a few minutes ago, I heard that Skam was available everywhere at first, until they saw the (high) number of viewers from Sweden. They blocked it, and sold the show to SVT. By the way, you can turn on/off Norwegian subtitles.

And regarding Da/No/Sw, it's never a bad idea to watch TV in the other two languages even if you won't end up speaking either of them.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Elenia wrote:
@Peter - I'm already a glasses wearer, so no ball an extra pair. I figure I can make use of my time with no screens before bed as a wind down time, and get down on some reading that otherwise gets put off in favour of more aimless browsing, or write, or knit... basically do something a bit more productive then click about on the internet!

Just FYI, they do make them to fit over glasses, and they are usually super cheap. DH and I both wear them while reading in bed to block the blue light from the bedroom lamp. They really help.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 pm

I SAID A GERMAN SENTENCE WITH THE RIGHT WORD ORDER!!!! True, I got a verb tense/form wrong, and also didn't know a word, but the word order was solid. YEEEEEESSSSSSS :D
8 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:On the topic of Vitamin D, I have also read some decent information suggesting that being behind glass (windows, car windows, wearing glasses - sunglasses, reading glasses, contact lenses) blocks our body's ability to produce melatonin, important in immune function, mood regulation, circadian rhythm, sleep, healthy skin. Another conspiracy anyone? Sunglasses companies do not like the idea that you shouldn't wear sunglasses (or should reduce your use of them). The reason behind such advice is that sunglasses block melatonin production by not allowing UV light to interact with the retina and in turn the pituitary gland, which in normal synergy would create melatonin and even helps the skin protect itself against the sun. Yet another piece of evidence imo that shows that we are living at odds with nature. https://philmaffetone.com/sun-and-brain/. Marketing focuses on the negatives of the sun, but there are plenty of positives.

No conspiration here. Basic biology and physics. I've heard of a girl, who told her biophysics professor that she could get a suntan through glass at the exam, of course she failed immediately.

There is no conspiracy. UV simply doesn't pass through normal glass to a large extent (but that still doesn't mean sunglasses are a fraud). And the seasonal changes in mood of populations and individuals, including depression, are well known too. Yes, sun is good for you, to some extent. But melanomas are a common problem.

It all about the balance between protection, and getting enough sunshine. You definitely cannot generalise. For example: melanomas became much more common among scandinavians during the last twenty or thirty years. Why? Those phototype 1 and 2 people are richer than they used to be, and spend a lot more time on holidays in the south. The opposite: immigrants of african origin in the scandinavian countries are much more likely to suffer from lack of vitamine D. Two sides of the same coin. A nice epidemiology example :-D

Please, use the sunglasses as you find comfortable. And use a protective cream based on your phototype. The Melanoma is not something invented by big pharma. And go outside a lot, to not suffer from lack of vitamine D, that is also true. If you think you have the symptoms of such a lack, which are very non specific and it is true doctors often won't identify (not because of a bad intention, but they are the symptomes of absolutely everything), consider a few short visits to a tanning booth during the winter, it works well for some people, or vitamine D supplements.

I have never heard of such importance of UV for your retina, even though that doesn't mean it is not so, ophtalomogy is boring for me, so I am not that knowledgeable. But eye melanomas are a hell. UV filter in the glasses, however, can definitely have some affects. It was worsening my depression, but it could have been either relative lack of UV, or simply seing everything in darker colours literally (and btw no, those glasses changing colours don't clear up indoors as fast as advertised :-D )

The key is the same as usual: No extremes, use various sources of information, your experience, and your brain to decide. Try what works for you. Truth be told, living in the north may be challenging in this aspect. Perhaps you'd like to consult your doctor about similar issues, as you are moving there :-) Should you suffer from lack of daylight in Sweden, there are also lamps imitating day light. Their positive effect is proved and used in psychiatry, but I think they are recommendable to almost everyone. I've got one too :-)

Perhaps you might like to get glasses with a "screen" filter. It filters out the blue wavelengths or something, which are overrepresented in the light from computer displays, smartphones, tablets, television, and so on. I find it really more comfortable. I agree with Peter here, that such a filter is a nice thing to have. But of course your solution, limiting time spent with these things, is a better one :-)

And of course we are living at odds with nature. We've been that way since we had abandoned caves.
4 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 pm

f.lux and redshift are programs that will automatically change the colour temperature of your device's screen relative to the Sun's position at your location.

I always have mine slightly lower than the automatic setting, as blue light from screens can exacerbate some eye conditions. My laptop is set to 2500 K at night, and when watching a video on it I get tired/fall asleep easily. Watching on a TV will keep me alert till 3-4 am.
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 am

I guess this should be a wrap up of last weeks laughable goals, so...

Clozemaster: Complete! I did way more than that, although I don't know how much.
FSI: Less so! I didn't do anything more, although I'd gotten halfway through Unit 8 of the Swedish Basic Course. I never quite managed to make the time for it.

In addition to this, I wrote about 170 words for this week's Islandhoppers challenge, but I haven't posted them yet. I really ought to get on that...

Goals for next week:
  • At least 50 points on Clozemaster for each language pair
  • Go through one newspaper article
  • Start attempt at Goldlisting
  • Read one page of a Swedish book

Other things that have happened this week:
I got a place on a class from a masters course this semester. I had been a reserve, but hadn't really expected a place. However, I got one (yay!) and so started that on Wednesday. It is about an hour and a half worth of class each week. The class is taught in English, but I have at least one of the necessary texts in Swedish (a translation from French!) so I will be reading that. One of the assignments is to write about a book not on the course list, and my boyfriend also has one that might fit the criteria in Swedish, so I'll be giving it a go, too.

One of the ladies at work remembered that I was studying Finnish. Good thing she remembered, because I almost forgot! I have two Clozemaster language pairs that include Finnish, so I should be getting a bit of work done on that this week. I'm also wondering if I should change resource. I like the book I have been lacklustrely using, but I don't think it's very easy for me to learn from. Perhaps I should place more emphasis on Assimil. If anything, I can then use the other book (Leila White's From Start to Finnish) as a review.

The bedtime is going well, although some days I have been up later. When I get to bed on time, I wake up early. The problem now is that when I wake up it's still dark outside and I don't want to get out of bed for at least two more hours :lol: a natural light alarm might be the trick here, but I will have to get my boyfriend's agreement first, as it will also affect him.

I've been using my phone's 'night shift' option, but I think the best thing is still for me to have at least a screen free hour. Otherwise I lose that whole hour playing games on my phone instead of doing something sensible :? At least a screen free half hour should do?
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am

Elenia wrote:I've been using my phone's 'night shift' option, but I think the best thing is still for me to have at least a screen free hour. Otherwise I lose that whole hour playing games on my phone instead of doing something sensible :? At least a screen free half hour should do?

I know I'm much older than you, and so you might not have heard of this thing I'm going to suggest, so I put a picture of it below. It is called a book. They invented them a long time ago, but they still make them! They are made from dead trees and they have writing in them. They are really good for the eyes, and they often can put you to sleep all by themselves.

:)

I find these dead tree things are very useful when you need to relax the eyes.

10 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 pm

rdearman wrote:
Elenia wrote:I've been using my phone's 'night shift' option, but I think the best thing is still for me to have at least a screen free hour. Otherwise I lose that whole hour playing games on my phone instead of doing something sensible :? At least a screen free half hour should do?

I know I'm much older than you, and so you might not have heard of this thing I'm going to suggest, so I put a picture of it below. It is called a book. They invented them a long time ago, but they still make them! They are made from dead trees and they have writing in them. They are really good for the eyes, and they often can put you to sleep all by themselves.

:)

I find these dead tree things are very useful when you need to relax the eyes.

Try to put thousands on them on a USB key, if you dare!
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Tristano wrote:Try to put thousands on them on a USB key, if you dare!

Well, I could, but the weight would probably crush the USB. :lol:
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:24 pm

rdearman wrote:
Tristano wrote:Try to put thousands on them on a USB key, if you dare!

Well, I could, but the weight would probably crush the USB. :lol:

That's why my English still sucks :x My USB key is broken and I don't dare to buy another one. :oops:
3 x

Return to “Language logs”