Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 am

Brun Ugle wrote:That’s how I speak German too. I’m not really sure what the tenses are either, and when there’s one of those big verb-pile-ups at the end of a sentence, I never know what order to put the verbs in.

Sure, I can dialect with you sometime. You could probably find a better model though, like a real Norwegian maybe. But we can chat if you want. I should probably learn some Swedish myself, but I have so many more exciting languages to learn.

Oh, the verb pile-ups :cry:

I know a real Norwegian and one day I will ask her to dialect with me too. But I like you!

---

German month took a step sideways yesterday and maybe the day before. I've been really lazy. I need to write about three pages of Swedish to hand in by the end of this week (officially the deadline is today but the teacher said she needed them latest before she leaves work on Friday). I need to start on another essay to hand in next week. I need to do reading and German. I need to finish knitting my sock.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 am

Elenia wrote: I know a real Norwegian and one day I will ask her to dialect with me too. But I like you!

I like you too. :D

Sometimes it’s easier and more comfortable to talk to a non-native too. And it’s often easier to talk to friends than to find someone specifically for a language exchange. Once I got used to talking to Zenmonkey in German and Spanish instead of English, our language exchanges turned out to be really helpful and lots of fun.

I accidentally forgot to hide my profile on Italki and now I have a language exchange with a German lady. She’s nice, but we don’t really know each other, so it still feels really awkward. And I have to come up with a topic for next time. Having to come up with a topic makes my mind go completely blank.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:16 pm

German month didn't go quite as planned. Does anyone have a link to a table for German sentence structure? Because I could really use one. Or is that just a Swedish (Scandinavian?) thing?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:38 pm

5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Elenia wrote:German month didn't go quite as planned. Does anyone have a link to a table for German sentence structure? Because I could really use one. Or is that just a Swedish (Scandinavian?) thing?
Projetbabel.org has something like that.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Well, it's been a while.
16 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 am

Elenia wrote:Well, it's been a while.

Great to see you again here. :)

I had been wondering already, where you had gone.
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:25 am

Welcome back :D .

Hope you had a good time in... was it Sweden? That's the last thing I heard from you before I went away from here for a long while.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks everyone, in particular tiia and Dagane. I guess I just fell away entirely, I'm not sure why?

Still in Sweden, and I hope to be here for a while yet. Immigration woes, however. I'm currently (desperately) writing a Bachelor's thesis and languidly (of course) getting back into Finnish. Duolingo and sometimes Clozemaster are the current order of the day. When I don't feel like all my brain power has to be used on the essay, I'll return to one of my textbooks, but those two are doing for now, just about. Enough to keep me wanting more, certainly.
9 x

Return to “Language logs”