Team Me: Foxing Around

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Reineke's log

Postby Ani » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 am

reineke wrote:
Ani wrote:Glad to see you back around :mrgreen:

Thanks Ani. You're always a welcome visitor here. I would love the see if you can revive your Italian. Regarding your trip, stay away from "friendship" bracelet peddlers if you're around Sacré-Cœur. Street crêpes are inferior to palacinke but you should try some anyway. The last time I was there, les Escaliers de Montmartre smelled like pee. Otherwise the place was very romantic. Have fun.

You know it doesn't feel much like reviving Italian as learning it from scratch. I don't know. There are just so many vowels. I remember next to nothing except that we dropped an awful lot of those vowels. I keep thinking I'll give it a proper shot soon because I'd like to be in good shape before next year's potential trip. I'm probably underestimating the task even still, thinking I can make a quick run of Assimil & watch a bunch of TV.
Given my poor performance with Russian, & flirting with Icelandic, what do you think I should do for Italian? I could just recklessly start now and try to juggle 3-4 languages.. or wait till after the Paris trip & start then?

I will definitely watch out for peddlers. The last time we were at Montmartre we took le funiculaire up and I have no recollection of the stairs but I will take your advertisement to heart. :) I am so excited to eat all kinds of stuff -- and then just hop back on the plane before any of it has time to make me too sick :)
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 902#p20145

Postby reineke » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:05 pm

I would only do French.

After that trip I would spend time listening to easy oral stuff. You shouldn't have much trouble with Italian.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:08 pm

I spent 15 mins on Japanese and I already heard...
denwa bango (Ataru is always trying to pick up dates)
kimi wa... I googled that a while back because I figured it's some kind of informal way of addressing someone
Someone explained it on Hi native:
"kimi きみ 君
male ~~> female normal a little formal
female ~~> male casual between young people
boss ==> his men normal
men under boss ==> boss never"
Mehehe
Tasukete kure - a cartoon classic
Shikata ga nai - good old Clavell taught me that one
kono, dono ichiban etc...

The problem with Japanese is that I spend maybe 20 minutes on it every month.

Today was mostly about Polish though.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Distractions.jpg
Distractions.jpg (30.48 KiB) Viewed 489 times
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Jan - Feb

ESP 74 hours (TV)
RU 18 hours
FRA 12 hrs
GER 10 hrs (TV)
PORT 10 hrs
ITA 8 hrs

March - April

Ru: finished Salem''s Lot (audiobook) and made it about half way into Dreamcatcher.
French: TV.
Polish: music, audiobooks - random chapters, a few hours.
Czech: Svejk audiobook (a few hours).
Italian: music
Spanish: some TV
German: audiobook tracks here and there

May
Sampled Polish, Dutch, Czech, Ukrainian, and Greek. Settled on Polish.

June - August
Polish: around 200 hours
Some Spanish, Russian and Portuguese (in that order)
4 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:53 pm

l.jpg
l.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Last edited by reineke on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:32 pm

It took me some time to dig this up. I am trying to collect my personal notes here.

Jan 13, 2016

My first, main input channel for any new language will always be its spoken version and the written one will come later. Speaking and writing will come last - provided that I have the patience or need for it.

"Input only" may suggest that the learner is being forced not to produce. While there are such methods, input-only is also a personal choice. If you look past the initial learning phase, production requires a considerable effort solely for the sake of getting ahead in the language. After one's second or third language, advanced speaking and writing skills may look like an artifice that's very difficult to justify or sustain. The more you insist on input as the sole approach to fully learn the language, the more it presupposes interest and a great luxury of time. No one will spontaneously burst into a fluency of speech and writing in a short period solely based on exposure. In the meantime such student will be mostly judged based on what he is able to produce. Input only also works best not only over longer stretches but also in intensive gobs of time that few people, especially adults, are able to afford. Assuming that the learner needs to communicate ASAP, common sense dictates a short silent period or a combined approach. A learner may also be unwilling to explore materials he cannot fully understand or have other special needs. I would not force a long silent stage on such learners.

A massive amount of exposure to speech and writing will increase their vocabulary immensely as well as their comprehension skills. It is by no means easy to start producing language even after a very long silent period. It would be very presumptuous however to say that input-only learners are totally unable to communicate, that they are comparable to beginners or that they are wasting their time.
Last edited by reineke on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 pm

1/17/2016

I believe it's time to learn some Spanish. As of today, 1/17/2016, there is still no such thing as "my Spanish". I have never studied this language and the little I know is from short bursts of casual listening. I don't know how to conjugate some very basic Spanish verbs. I don't think my C1 (Cervantes) placement rating was a fluke though since the test is passive and for all practical purposes I can follow the gist of fairly advanced stories, I can read newspapers and follow TV programs. I can recognize moods and tenses, habitual action and many other grammatical forms and patterns. However, this level of competence is that of an impostor, a spy and a thief. The degree of transparency is almost random. I don't know a fair number of basic words that don't have a readily recognizable equivalent in other languages.

Jan 24, 2016

In 2008 I announced on the old forum that I intended to learn Spanish through TV programs and other native materials.

A year or two later:

Español

Z Nation temporadas 1 y 2
Spartacus ep 1-6
El Chavo del Ocho 6 ep
Rome ep 1-4
DK Spanish picture dictionary cover to cover
Lum la chica invasora 1-15

One of my favorite cartoons when I was a young lad was Lamù, la ragazza dello spazio:

What I'm watching these days:

Lum la chica invasora

The Youtube links may disappear. While I think that cartoons are an awesome resource, I would like to make it clear that I am not watching this stuf for the sake of getting sufficient "input". Spanish is a convenient medium to rewatch these childhood favorites and maybe pick up something useful along the way.
Last edited by reineke on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm

1/25 Candy Candy (español) 1-14
1/26 Candy Candy (español) 15-24
1/27 read a number of online reviews
1/28 Rome ep. 5, Candy Candy ep 25-28
1/29 3 episodes (esp.)
1/30 3 episodes (esp.)
1/31 3 episodes (esp.)

2/1 a lot of cartoons; Rome 2 episodes
2/2 toons
2/3 toons (watching as I write)
El Mago de Oz (switched to this from Lum which felt too hard).

February 3, 2016

Ok, so this update is going to be real different. I watched "Rome" (in Spanish of course) in the wee hours and then I watched some cartoons...

I ordered the Spanish edition of Stephen King's "Duma Key" and some other novels. Duma Key arrived yesterday, in English. My shopping basket was full of Márquez last night. I ended up letting Amazon hold onto his books for a while. I will go over to the local library and see if I can get some children's books.
Last edited by reineke on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Feb 18, 2016

Today I clocked in 100 "sterling" hours of listening to Spanish. To celebrate, I decided to read my first book. I first grabbed Ficciones, but I settled on something more colorful:

"El lobo que quería ser una oveja"
by Mario Ramos

Book blurbs:

“–Quiero ser una oveja... –comenta Pequeño Lobo. Los otros lobos estallan de risa. Pequeño Lobo sueña con salir del bosque y volar por el cielo. Pero para volar hacen falta alas y los lobos no tienen. No obstante, Pequeño Lobo ha observado bien a las ovejas: ellas tampoco tienen alas, sin embargo, a veces vuelan.”

"Pequeño Lobo tiene un sueño descabellado; contrario a todos sus parientes no fantasea con cazar muchas ovejas sino en convertirse en una de ellas, con la secreta esperanza de realizar otro deseo aún más añorado: un paseo aéreo, planeando sobre la campiña como ha visto hacer a algunos corderos. De esta forma, disfrazado de oveja, se mezcla en el rebaño, pero lo que él aún no sabe es que este vuelo gratis lo realizan las lanudas en las garras de un enorme pajarraco.”

"Quiero ser oveja dice Pequeño Lobo ante el resto de los lobos que no le comprenden y se ríen de él. Pero él tiene muy claro que quiere ser una oveja porque quiere volar. Ya sabe que para volar se necesitan alas y que él no tiene, pero las ovejas tampoco y él ha visto cómo algunas vuelan. Así que decide disfrazarse de oveja descubriendo por qué vuelan cuando resulta ser presa de un águila real. Sin embargo, gracias a su astucia y a la suerte consigue salir ileso del nido en lo alto de una montaña donde había sido abandonado por el águila real…
Pequeño Lobo se levanta
y se sacude el polvo de su pelaje.
Se pone en camino tranquilamente y dice:
– Por supuesto que soy un lobo.
Pero no cualquier lobo!
Yo he tocado las nubes!"
Last edited by reineke on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”