Koolawant's 素晴らしい Japanese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
koolawant
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Koolawant's Japanese Log

Postby koolawant » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 am

A little more productive today. Also chapter 2's grammar points are all things I use regularly so I'm going to breeze through this one. Taking a bit more time wrapping up 1 because a few things are sticking as well as I would like them to.

I feel like I want to up the input a bit more. Been doing well with listening but I need to get back into dramas. More importantly I need to be reading so no more dragging my feet there.

I've also spent a ridiculous amount of money today buying things to prepare for my move back to Japan. Sheesh my bank account is not a happy camper with me.

Wednesday I did;
Tobira Textbook/grammar book; ~2hrs (currently on chapter 1&2)
Listening; ~1.5hrs
Reading; ~ textbook reading
Today study time; 3.5hrs

Total study time: 22hrs
0 x
: 6343 / 50000 50,000 pages read / Japanese

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:43 am

Finally finished a drama I started months ago! It was really boring so it was hard to finish but I finally did it :) I always think I understand a lot of what's going on but sometimes I really doubt my skill level. I turned on some Japanese subtitles to read along as I listened and I am very pleasantly surprised to find out I was right! Some unknown words muddled up my understanding but for the most part I would say I average 85-90% comprehension in slice of life, everyday language type of dramas/cartoons/etc. Now when the topics change to lesser known things that number plummets and that's where I discover new gaps in my vocabulary.

Also I was called into work today and that killed any plans of long study today, but I still did ok. Tomorrow I'd like to get a bit more done since today was a bit of a wash.

Thursday I did;
Tobira Textbook/grammar book; ~.5hrs (currently on chapter 1&2)
Listening; ~1.5hrs
Reading; ~ 20 pages (.75 hrs)
Today study time; 2.75hrs

Total Study Time; 24.75hrs
0 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 am

Super sleepy so this post will be brief.

I spent the last couple of days on a vacation with my family in Ontario (Niagara falls to be exact). I was there to sightsee and spend time with my family so I decided beforehand that I was not going to do any studying. Today was my first full day back so I'm having to get back into the swing of things. Started a very promising drama today. With 50something episodes at 45 mins each I think I'll be occupied for a little while on this. (I always complete drama's I start no matter how bad they are, and I never start a new drama while I'm watching one. Weird, I know, but I enjoy to just shotgun it and have it be finished.)

I feel like I should be doing so much more studying with the time that I have. To many people, the times I achieve on "good days" like today may seem like a lot, but I just feel as though I should be pushing myself to do more. Or maybe I'm too hard on myself :? . Ideally I'd like to increase the amount of reading I do to 100 pages a day but that will take some time as my current reading rate is slow; about 2min/page.

Also I noticed I've never felt the need to include the titles of most of what I read/watch. I think it's due to the wealth of Japanese sources available; I don't feel the need to share what I've been using because I know that people use many other things. (That sentence doesn't read well but my tired, Japanese bogged brain can't be bothered to correct it.) If anyone is interested in the native materials I'm utilizing I can share the detailed list of all the drama's I've watched, shows I enjoy, and names of books I've read/am reading.

June 8th (Friday) I did:
Tobira Textbook/grammar book; ~1hr (currently on chapter 2)
Listening; ~none
Reading; ~ none
Today study time; 1hr

June 9th-11th I did:
nada

June 12th I did (half day as I returned home in the evening)
Tobira Textbook/grammar book; ~none
Listening; ~1hr
Reading; ~ none
Today study time; 1hr

Today (June 13th) I did;
Tobira Textbook/grammar book; ~1.5hrs (currently on chapter 2&3)
Listening; ~2.25hrs
Reading; ~ 21 pages (.75 hrs)
Today study time; 4.5hrs

Total Study Time; 31.25hrs

Edit; dates were wrong
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 am

koolawant wrote:Also I noticed I've never felt the need to include the titles of most of what I read/watch. I think it's due to the wealth of Japanese sources available; I don't feel the need to share what I've been using because I know that people use many other things. (That sentence doesn't read well but my tired, Japanese bogged brain can't be bothered to correct it.) If anyone is interested in the native materials I'm utilizing I can share the detailed list of all the drama's I've watched, shows I enjoy, and names of books I've read/am reading.
I'm interested! :) Mostly because I'm always looking for new things to watch. I tend to stick to short drama series for example (because I get bored easily), but that means I need to look for new ones often. It's good to hear what others enjoyed.
0 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:22 am

brilliantyears wrote:
koolawant wrote:Also I noticed I've never felt the need to include the titles of most of what I read/watch. I think it's due to the wealth of Japanese sources available; I don't feel the need to share what I've been using because I know that people use many other things. (That sentence doesn't read well but my tired, Japanese bogged brain can't be bothered to correct it.) If anyone is interested in the native materials I'm utilizing I can share the detailed list of all the drama's I've watched, shows I enjoy, and names of books I've read/am reading.
I'm interested! :) Mostly because I'm always looking for new things to watch. I tend to stick to short drama series for example (because I get bored easily), but that means I need to look for new ones often. It's good to hear what others enjoyed.

Ok I'll start adding them!

not much studying done in the last couple of days due to sheer laziness.

June 14th I did;
Listening; 3hrs
Total time; 3hrs

June 18th (today) I did;
Tobira Textbook/grammar book; 1hr
Reading; 40pgs (~1.5hrs)
Today's Study time; 2.5hrs

Total Study Time; 36.75hrs

...and that's it unfortinately. Combination of work and feeling like eh. I'm thinking about scaling textbook back to a maximum of .5hrs a day simply because my goal was more input. Textbook study time is vaulable but I'm going to try to be more effecient and only spend 30 minutes on that task. I want to instead spend that time reading.

I went ahead today and put 150 dollars in italki. I did this so that I would be forced to book sessions until that money is used up. I hate wasting money and dislike making (what is for me anyway) a rather large payment at once. Great motivators if I do say so myself. I'll start at a leisure rate of 2 lessons per week. In the final stretch (last month/3 weeks) I intend on upping that to 3/4 times a week.

For those interested, my main source of listening right now is coming from the drama おひさま, I watch chibi maruko or shin-chan when I'm feeling something more jovial. Currently reading ChibiMaruko Children's Novel volume 2.
2 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 am

Hi it's been a little while! I wrapped up June and just wanted to give some information about what I've been up to. Since my last post I;

Listening; 10.25hrs
Vocab/Grammar/Textbook/Witing; 6.5hrs
Speaking; 2.5hrs
Reading; 2.5hrs

Total; 21.75hrs

Toal June Time; 58.5 Hours

......not proud of that. I've had a fair amount of free time this month so that number should be nearly twice as large. No use in crying over spilled milk though, I just need to work harder in july.

I've watched nearly 100 episodes of chibi Maruko since the beginning of this year! By far one of my favorite things to watch. Highly reccomend to all learners of Japanese, this show is a goldmine.

Not related to my log, but in watching the form lately I always think it's interesting how some logs get more attention than others. Some people will start a log and not a single soul will comment on it until its 6 pages deep. Others will start one and get a ton of support off the first post alone. I wondered if it had anything to do with the language or how people organized it but nope. Seems to be completely at random. Not that it really matters because I find logs to be personal and while they're ultimately fun to share we should be writing them mainly for oursleves. Just a small observation of mine.

As always excuse any errors in here as I'm always writing these things late.

Upward and onward! Aiming for 5hrs a day minimum M-F this month!
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:27 am

Doesn't this just mean we need a little (East) Asia solidarity and comment more regularly on each other's logs? :lol:
2 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pm

ロータス wrote:
koolawant wrote:
Not related to my log, but in watching the form lately I always think it's interesting how some logs get more attention than others. Some people will start a log and not a single soul will comment on it until its 6 pages deep. Others will start one and get a ton of support off the first post alone. I wondered if it had anything to do with the language or how people organized it but nope. Seems to be completely at random. Not that it really matters because I find logs to be personal and while they're ultimately fun to share we should be writing them mainly for oursleves. Just a small observation of mine.

I have noticed this as well and it definitely has to do with language. Spanish/French(European languages) the most popular on the first page (more fellow active learners on here) while for Asian languages, the first post will get a few likes but not really get a comment (besides eido's xP). Im guilty of seeing a new log for KR/JP/CN and not posting/liking the first post because from what I've seen, because Asian languages are so difficult, those logs are rarely going to make it to the 2nd page because people either forget about this site or quit.

My log is mostly dead besides my posts and I don't care. My log is so future me can look back and say "hey, I was really enjoying myself just doing my own thing" (though a part of me was happy that I was able to summon smallwhite without quoting them lol)

I am guilty of this too! Ah you do bring a good point about a lot of the Asian languages being abandoned shortly after they start. It's a dream of mine to get smallwhite to notice me :lol: joking of course but a large part of me wishes she would start a log so I can see how she manages to be so darn efficient.
2 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:15 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Doesn't this just mean we need a little (East) Asia solidarity and comment more regularly on each other's logs? :lol:

That's exactly what this means! :lol:
1 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 pm

ロータス wrote:
koolawant wrote:
I am guilty of this too! Ah you do bring a good point about a lot of the Asian languages being abandoned shortly after they start. It's a dream of mine to get smallwhite to notice me :lol: joking of course but a large part of me wishes she would start a log so I can see how she manages to be so darn efficient.

You got to stalk their 6 Week Challenge stats. I think in the last challenge someone got smallwhite to explain what they do.

I stalked it a little bit, and saw some of the techniques and whatnot. As well as following the Turisk progress bars in the signature. But alas all the methods are spread through multiple forms and while I have a pretty good idea of what they are (I have spent an embarassingly long time reading through most threads here and a fair amount on the old site).
0 x

Return to “Language logs”