Koolawant's 素晴らしい Japanese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
koolawant
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Koolawant's Japanese Log

Postby koolawant » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:55 pm

I have been noticed and thus my week has been made. :D

Back to language related things. I had another iTalki lesson (I have 2 a week) and I can always communicate what I want and be understood almost perfectly, but the grammar mistakes are driving me bonkers! I hear them, I recognize them as soon as I make them, I do my best to correct them, but still. Although I have achieved spoken fluency (I can seriously carry a Japanese conversation for hoursss almost non stop, ask my host family :lol: ) my grammar is an absolute train wreck. My tutor and other people say it's mostly right, but for my comprehension to be so high my correct use of grammar is lagging far, far behind.

Trying to fix this by dedicated hours of study on grammar rules a day. Grammar that I learned a long time ago, usually get right, but will also mess up on because it was either implicitly of lazily learned. For a b2 level in comprehension, I'm started to expect a lot more out of my speaking. These careless mistakes have got to go. Hopefully this, combined with self talk, and my lessons will clean this up before I return to Japan.

If anyone has recommendations on sources (and how) to drill correct grammar into my head I will be very thankful for it! :)
0 x
: 6343 / 50000 50,000 pages read / Japanese

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 am

Funny to see my name mentioned back and forth like that :P

I don't love Chinese but I know some parts of it can be hard to grasp for English-speakers, so I try to help with people's questions or at least share my thoughts on them.

My stats and the kind of study activities that I do are probably similar to anyone else's, except I read and watch extensively less and do intensive and traditional study more. This post from Your Language Learning Strategy...In 50 Words or so is what I do in a nutshell. Point 6 is not too important. Points 3 and 4 are. Point 2 "Set ability-based goals" means I don't set time-based, resource-based or completion-based goals like "200 hours of TV", "5000 pages of novels", "I shall finish Assimil". My goal is to get as much ability as possible in as little time as possible, preferable in 0 hours after reading 0 books and completing 0 resources, so setting 200/5000/100% as short-term goals is at odds with my long-term goal. Also, for point 4, I decide what I want to achieve, then think of a way to achieve it, which may or may not involve a resource; rather than see resource, use resource (, complete resource). I think a lot of the efficiency comes from the constant decision-making (point 3), but I can't describe all the decisions I make every day; those 50 Words say it all.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:10 pm

smallwhite wrote:Funny to see my name mentioned back and forth like that :P

I don't love Chinese but I know some parts of it can be hard to grasp for English-speakers, so I try to help with people's questions or at least share my thoughts on them.

My stats and the kind of study activities that I do are probably similar to anyone else's, except I read and watch extensively less and do intensive and traditional study more. This post from Your Language Learning Strategy...In 50 Words or so is what I do in a nutshell. Point 6 is not too important. Points 3 and 4 are. Point 2 "Set ability-based goals" means I don't set time-based, resource-based or completion-based goals like "200 hours of TV", "5000 pages of novels", "I shall finish Assimil". My goal is to get as much ability as possible in as little time as possible, preferable in 0 hours after reading 0 books and completing 0 resources, so setting 200/5000/100% as short-term goals is at odds with my long-term goal. Also, for point 4, I decide what I want to achieve, then think of a way to achieve it, which may or may not involve a resource; rather than see resource, use resource (, complete resource). I think a lot of the efficiency comes from the constant decision-making (point 3), but I can't describe all the decisions I make every day; those 50 Words say it all.

Wow thank you so much for replying to my humble log! I'm always so impressed by how efficient your studying is so you posting this really motivates me to keep it going. Thanks smallwhite!
1 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:29 pm

I didn't study at all the past two days. Even though it pains me to miss a day(s) of studying, sometimes (especially because I'm leaving and have no idea if/when I'll be back) it's better to spend time with friends and family.

Not logging my numbers here until the end of this month but don't worry I'm keeping them nice and organized on a spreadsheet.

I've been mulling over the idea for a while but I've made the decision to sit the N2 JLPT in December. I'll need that certificate to start job hunting in Japan in March or so :) . I'm not too too worried about passing it as I suspect I'm already there in some areas like listening comprehension, but not so close in other areas like kanji recognition. I'll continue general study until about September, then switch to an intensive N2 prep study phase. I'm familiar with the test already because I took N4 (and passed) nearly 2 years ago so that really helps. I'll be sure to actually bring a watch this time :roll:

Goal: Pass N2
Stretch goal: Pass N2 with a perfect, or near perfect score
Stretchiest goal: Pass N1 in July

This makes me want to create a Japanese study group. I'm aware there's an east asian one but I'd like one for just Japanese studiers, especially ones like me who are gearing up to take the jlpt (our version of A-C exams). But I dont think there are enough active Japanese learners on the thread. Hopefully soon though.
1 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 pm

ロータス wrote:
Would check out: /r/LearnJapanese on reddit and their discord or maybe https://forum.koohii.com/index.php

Totally forgot about the reddit page, good call!
0 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Koolawant's 素晴らしい Japanese Log

Postby koolawant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Finally dragging myself back into studying after having a nice couple of days off. I had an excellent italki talk today! My speaking has been somewhat of a train wreck recently due to lack of use, and finally everything came back to me today. I was really testing myself and expanding my grammar usage (ie. actually using more advanced grammar) which makes me uber happy. My grammar study so far this month has been on par with my listening hours. Nice to see it paying off. Im glad I bought a package when I did though because my teacher's price went up to 15 dollars a lesson instead of 10. But I've never clicked with a tutor like this before so I'll continue to pay for it when my package runs out. I'm still at 2 talks a week, but this is be going to 3 very shortly.

I have only 33 days until I return to Japan (hopefully for good this time) and I am starting to panic. I know I've advanced since I left since I went from a B1 solid to about a decent B2, but does it reflect? Will people be able to tell? Did I improve enough? Will my experience be better this time because I understand more? Was deciding to move back to japan even the right choice????? I know most of these are silly, but I got the same cold feet last time. It's a big life move so naturally I'm anxious. I know I'll be alright as soon as my feet touch Japanese soil.

On an unrelated note, how to I change my log title? I want it to reflect my goals this year. Also I need to finally put a profile picture up. Undecided on if I should use my face or not. As a general rule, I don't like looking at it that much :lol:
Last edited by koolawant on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Koolawant's Leisure Stroll to N2

Postby koolawant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 pm

ロータス I have no idea where I would be without you. Many thanks
0 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 am

No language learning for a while. My cat passed away today. She was my best friend for over a decade. I've never dealt with grief like this before and need a little while to recover.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:43 am

Oh I'm so sorry :( I lost my kitty October last year and it really threw me off for a long time. I still miss her terribly.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Postby koolawant » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:48 am

Long time no see everyone. Just popping in very quickly to say that I am now officially in Japan!

To my utter surprise, I tested into the advanced (that is the highest level at the University here in japan) class and have already began getting my behind kicked. I remember as a kid first starting Japanese that I dreamed of getting to the "advanced" levels. It's a bit surreal now that I'm here. To be frank though, advanced is not nearly as good as I thought it would be. Compared to the super advanced students and natives I fumble like a hippo learning how to ride a unicycle. Oddly, the better I get at this learning the more I learn that I suck at it :lol: nothing a ton of practice and study can't fix.

With studying for the N2, living with my Japanese host family again, hanging out with my native friends, and attending language classes virtually everyday, it's safe to say that I will be spending most of my days interacting in Japanese.

I well intend to take my B2 level to a competent, confident C1 by the end of my exchange.

So strange though. I never imagained reaching a high level in a langugae before but now it's almost tangible.
11 x

Return to “Language logs”