French, Japanese and Who Knows What Else

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Re: French, Japanese and Who Knows What Else

Postby Sarafina » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 pm

20/03/18
Listening
Many thanks to Cavesa for the advice of not jumping around from random French YouTube videos. On the bus, I now use it to watch more episodes of Steven Universe. It's much more enjoyable and I find myself concentrating more and avoiding the temptation to sneak in non-French videos and then getting distracted.

I've watched three episodes of Steven Universe and two episodes of Juliette je t'aime on the bus today. I'm really impressed with this series. Early in the morning, I listened to https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/ ... ma-radio-0 which I found to be really interesting.
My French song of the week is Mosaïque solitaire by Damso.

Reading
I've been reading some pages there and there of the books I've borrowed. Next week Monday, I am going to return one of them.

I have a massive French grammar book. My goal is to finish chapter 12-32 in a little over two weeks (pg 197- 465)
(to briefly look at chapter 10 and 11). I need to look at least 15-20 pages a day which is manageable which I can do at break time although the book is so heavy. :lol:

I want to experiment with Jun's method where you write out the French sentence (with the relevant grammar point that you're learning/relearning) with the English translation then write more sentences with the same grammar point (which provided in abundance in my grammar book) then step away and ask someone to ask you/or you could do it yourself to say 'How to I say _______ in x target language' and try to verbally respond smoothly and if you can't deconstruct the structure again and practice saying out loud over and over again which helps it automatic. This video discusses it better although it's aimed at Japanese people learning English, the advice can applied to other languages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZFe7-NJwE

My priority is getting a 7 in HL French. I've been doing some random past papers before but I don't have a set number that I should be doing every week. I have most of the past papers from 2017 to 1999.

French HL Attack Plan
* 3- 5 past papers a week
*To do 15-20 pages per a week for 'Complete French All-in-One
*To write 250-400 words of Section A French HL Paper 2 tasks each day and to be doing at least 4 Section B tasks per week
* To increase the words I add to Anki to 60 (I add on average 50 words a day anyways and I usually spend around 30 minutes reviewing it)
* To read 3 articles a day (which I already do)
* To read 60 pages a day (which I sometimes do)

Not directly relevant to two papers I am doing in May but during my breaks/journey and from school I'll continue watch Steven Universe, ATLA and Juliette je t'aime. I planned on doing shadowing to 7jours and GoldenMoustache but they're too long instead I'm going to shadow to 'dialogues en français' although it's more basic but the phrases/situations will be more helpful in preparing for my trip to France and it's under a minute.

I am still a little lost on how to approach intensive listening.

It's weird that I really enjoy doing intensive reading but intensive listening leaves me so drained.
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Sarafina wrote:I want to experiment with Jun's method where you write out the French sentence (with the relevant grammar point that you're learning/relearning) with the English translation then write more sentences with the same grammar point (which provided in abundance in my grammar book) then step away and ask someone to ask you/or you could do it yourself to say 'How to I say _______ in x target language' and try to verbally respond smoothly and if you can't deconstruct the structure again and practice saying out loud over and over again which helps it automatic. This video discusses it better although it's aimed at Japanese people learning English, the advice can applied to other languages.
I'm intermittently working through the Mauger Langue et Civilisation Francaises vol 1.(ISBN: 9782010080548)

One of the exercises that keeps coming up in that is writing conjugations of verbs from one example sentence. e.g.
Leçon 28, page 79

I. conjuguez au présent, au futur et au passé composé: prendre les bagages - voir ses amis - venir à Paris - sortir de la gare - aller à l'hôtel.

II. Conjuguez les expressions de l'exercice I : a) à la forme négative ; b) à la forme interrogative.

etc
1 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:26 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Sarafina wrote:I want to experiment with Jun's method where you write out the French sentence (with the relevant grammar point that you're learning/relearning) with the English translation then write more sentences with the same grammar point (which provided in abundance in my grammar book) then step away and ask someone to ask you/or you could do it yourself to say 'How to I say _______ in x target language' and try to verbally respond smoothly and if you can't deconstruct the structure again and practice saying out loud over and over again which helps it automatic. This video discusses it better although it's aimed at Japanese people learning English, the advice can applied to other languages.
I'm intermittently working through the Mauger Langue et Civilisation Francaises vol 1.(ISBN: 9782010080548)

One of the exercises that keeps coming up in that is writing conjugations of verbs from one example sentence. e.g.
Leçon 28, page 79

I. conjuguez au présent, au futur et au passé composé: prendre les bagages - voir ses amis - venir à Paris - sortir de la gare - aller à l'hôtel.

II. Conjuguez les expressions de l'exercice I : a) à la forme négative ; b) à la forme interrogative.

etc

My grammar book also contains exercises that are similar to those ones.
0 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm

21/03/18
I did 9 pages of 'Complete French All in One' early this afternoon . It made me realise how much of the basics I've been neglecting.

With my grammar book, I have decided to have three waves :lol: First wave I read relevant grammar point and do the appropriate grammar exercises then the second waves is that I practice read out all the sentences and using Forvo to see the correct pronunciation and the third wave is that I record myself attempting Jun's method.

By midnight of the 21st March 2018

I plan on doing 11 more pages later this evening. I plan on doing one (250-400) words Section A HL French Paper 2 tasks.
And to do the November 2017 paper 1
Spend 50 minutes reviewing my Anki deck (which I will do in two 25 minutes chunks)
To add 60 words from the three articles I've read and my books I've borrowed.
To read 50 pages of La guerre d'Algérie.
To record about 2 minutes worth
0 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm

I forgot to mention that I watched two episodes of Steven Universe and 3-4 episodes of Juliette je t'aime. At first I was happy with how much I've improved but now I'm aware of how much I still don't understand. Although it's not anything major- it's just some words there and there that I keep missing.

I decided to watch randomly Plus belle la vie. Like the first 30 seconds I was a little lost but after that I understand what they were saying. But there's this scene where these two teenagers are arguing about something and I just didn't get it but when I slowed it down to 0.75 it was so much clear but I don't want to get into the habit of listening to slowed-down audio. This is last and only time I've tried it.

Is it normal that when you switch from one TV series to an unknown one, your listening comprehension just plummets until you get used to it?

How many series is it going to take my listening comprehension to be 95%+ for French native material?
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Sarafina wrote:... At first I was happy with how much I've improved but now I'm aware of how much I still don't understand. ... Is it normal that when you switch from one TV series to an unknown one, your listening comprehension just plummets until you get used to it? How many series is it going to take my listening comprehension to be 95%+ for French native material?

At your level, yes, it is normal that it will take time to get used to new voices when switching to a new series. I can't tell you how many series it will take you to get to where you want to be with French. I can tell you that it takes a lot more time to train listening than most people like or expect. Daily listening for at least a half an hour a day is important. With doing this, it could take months. It takes what it takes. French is probably more difficult to train listening than with my languages because of liaison. Good luck. There are many ways to train listening. There are some links in my signature link.
3 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Sarafina wrote:21/03/18
I did 9 pages of 'Complete French All in One' early this afternoon . It made me realise how much of the basics I've been neglecting.

With my grammar book, I have decided to have three waves :lol: First wave I read relevant grammar point and do the appropriate grammar exercises then the second waves is that I practice read out all the sentences and using Forvo to see the correct pronunciation and the third wave is that I record myself attempting Jun's method.

By midnight of the 21st March 2018

I plan on doing 11 more pages later this evening. I plan on doing one (250-400) words Section A HL French Paper 2 tasks.
And to do the November 2017 paper 1
Spend 50 minutes reviewing my Anki deck (which I will do in two 25 minutes chunks)
To add 60 words from the three articles I've read and my books I've borrowed.
To read 50 pages of La guerre d'Algérie.
To record about 2 minutes worth

I took a power nap only I didn't wake up. :lol: :roll:
I did some more pages of my French Grammar book and I practised Jun's method only I forgot to record myself. I don't have the November 2017 exam. I have the November 2016 which I started already finishing the questions on Text A and marked it. And I'm halfway through Text B. I have Text C left to do. The November 2016 past paper didn't show the Text D and E- something is to with copyright/rights of the author. I am going to finish Text B and C today. The texts are straightforward to read. I need to do pick one of the Section A tasks of the November 2016 to give to my teacher to mark tomorrow. I can't keep avoiding doing assessed writing papers.

I printed May 2015 and November 2015 which I aim to complete by tomorrow.

I can't recommend Steven Universe enough. It's so captivating although the main character can be infuriating sometimes. I watched about three episodes. I am at this weird slump where I don't feel like my listening comprehension is improving that much more. I guess it's about my listening comprehension was so low therefore it was much more noticeable and dramatic improvement. Unlike now even though I'm improving, it's not as noticeable. I don't know if that makes much sense. During Maths lessons, I listen to Juliette je t'aime as backgroud listening while revising.

Similar goals to yesterday
-Except it's just 10 pages for my French Grammar Book. I need to record myself doing the three wave of the adapted Jun's method. I don't know if I should put it on this blog.
-Add the words that I wrote down in my notebook for the unknown vocabulary in La guerre d'Algérie to Anki
-To spend 45 minutes reviewing Anki (35 minutes left- I spent about 10 minutes reviewing it at some point today)
-Finish November 2016 paper/write at least 250 words on 'Lors d’un salon technologique, vous avez découvert un nouveau robot capable d’interagir avec les humains. Rédigez une page de votre journal intime dans lequel vous exprimez les sentiments que ces progrès technologiques vous inspirent' and at least 150 words for Exprimez et justifiez votre opinion personnelle sur la réflexion ci-dessous « Dans les réseaux sociaux, c’est la superficialité qui domine, pas l’information. »
-I need to start memorising some key general phrases from 'Mot à Mot'.
2 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Similar goals to yesterday

Except it's just 10 pages for my French Grammar Book. I need to record myself doing the three wave of the adapted Jun's method. I don't know if I should put it on this blog.
-Add the words that I wrote down in my notebook for the unknown vocabulary in La guerre d'Algérie to Anki
-To spend 45 minutes reviewing Anki (35 minutes left- I spent about 10 minutes reviewing it at some point today)
-Finish November 2016 paper write at least 250 words on 'Lors d’un salon technologique, vous avez découvert un nouveau robot capable d’interagir avec les humains. Rédigez une page de votre journal intime dans lequel vous exprimez les sentiments que ces progrès technologiques vous inspirent' and at least 150 words for Exprimez et justifiez votre opinion personnelle sur la réflexion ci-dessous « Dans les réseaux sociaux, c’est la superficialité qui domine, pas l’information. »
-I need to start memorising some key general phrases from 'Mot à Mot'.

Red signifies the ones I haven't done. Green means I've achieved that goal. The murky yellow means it was partially done.
I keep avoiding doing writing practice. I had the time yesterday to do it and to finish it. Instead I spent finishing reviewing all the cards in my Anki deck. I've been consistently listening to French for at least 45 minutes. Although it's below my 90 minutes goal. But I don't have a listening exam yet I make time to practice my listening. On average I watch 2-3 episodes of Steven Universe, 1-2 episode of Juliette je t'aime and when getting ready for school I play 20 minutes of FranceCulture. I haven't been watching ATLA much because it's hard to watch on my phone.

Which is weird because I used to avoid extended periods of listening to French. But because what I'm watching is so fun and engaging it doesn't feel like work. I don't think that ugh I have to spend x about time listening to French instead I watch an episode and I enjoy so much that I have to watch another. Same with the FranceCulture podcasts where I pick ones about topics that I'm genuinely curious about.

Same with the reading papers- I might be the only one in the world who actually enjoys doing the reading paper- they can be interesting and dare I say it funny at times. When I did the November 2016 paper one of the texts was an extract of a book and I just burst at laughing at one of his observations about his school.
But because of the low marks I got in my mocks, I get ridiculously anxious when doing a writing paper and I'll say I'm do it after I finishing reviewing my Biology flashcards, after I finish my English essay and after I...and before you know it, it's 11pm at night so I'll say it's too late to do one now and I'll definitely do it tomorrow after I've finished.... and the cycle repeats itself. :roll: I can't keep avoiding it.

Today

-I am going to write at least 250 words on 'Lors d’un salon technologique, vous avez découvert un nouveau robot capable d’interagir avec les humains. Rédigez une page de votre journal intime dans lequel vous exprimez les sentiments que ces progrès technologiques vous inspirent'
-To write least 150 words for Exprimez et justifiez votre opinion personnelle sur la réflexion ci-dessous « Dans les réseaux sociaux, c’est la superficialité qui domine, pas l’information. »
-To do 20 pages of my French grammar book
-To do the May 2015 reading paper
-To do November 2015 reading paper.

(So far I've done the November 2016, May 2016 and May 2017 reading paper and bits and bobs of a random text from one of the 2014 or is it 2013 papers that I've been given as homework). After doing the May 2015 and November 2015, I'll have 33 past papers left to do.
0 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 pm

This is going to be a long post. The French B Oxford textbook although it's not that great for the reading paper tends to have articles that roughly correspond to a writing task which I can use to mine useful expressions. There's another French B IB textbook which has a whole section dedicated to paper 2 which might be worth looking at.

I want to get through all of this by the 8th May.
(Section A= only between 250-400 words)

Diversité culturelle
Votre école organise une journée spéciale sur la diversité des langues. A cette occasion, vous allez prononcer un discours intitulé : Une langue unique serait une catastrophe mondiale. Rédigez le texte de ce discours.

Cette année, le Prix international de la Diversité culturelle a été attribué à un de vos professeurs pour son travail sur l’évolution des attitudes à ce sujet. On vous a demandé de présenter ce professeur lors de la cérémonie de remise de ce prix. Rédigez le discours dans lequel vous indiquez pourquoi le prix attribué à votre professeur est tout à fait mérité.

Une Maison des jeunes vient d’ouvrir dans votre ville. Elle a pour but d’aider les adolescents issus de l’immigration à mieux s’intégrer. Très intéressé(e) par cette initiative, vous avez interviewé l’un(e) d’entre eux au sujet de son expérience à la Maison des jeunes. Rédigez le texte de cette interview qui sera publié dans le journal local.

Par manque de clients, le dernier restaurant de votre ville servant des spécialités régionales risque de disparaître. Pour éviter la fermeture de ce restaurant, vous rédigez un tract expliquant l’importance de protéger le patrimoine culinaire et encourageant la population à aller y manger.

Vous avez visité un pays dont vous ne parlez absolument pas la langue. Pourtant vous avez dû communiquer. Dans votre blog consacré à ce séjour, vous racontez cette expérience et donnez des conseils à d’autres jeunes qui voyageront à l’étranger et pourraient se retrouver dans la même situation. Rédigez cette page de blog.

Coutumes et traditions
Vos études de langues vous ont montré que l’apprentissage de la communication non-verbale est souvent négligé. Pourtant, apprendre le langage du corps pourrait éviter des malentendus. Si on fait tel geste ici, sera-t-il compris de la même manière ailleurs ? Rédigez vos réflexions à ce sujet sur votre blog.

La direction de votre école vient d’accepter une grosse donation d’un sponsor commercial et a décidé de remplacer le nom de votre école par celui de ce sponsor. Attaché(e) aux traditions, écrivez un article de protestation pour le journal local.

Vous séjournez pour la première fois dans un pays francophone et certaines coutumes et traditions y sont tout à fait nouvelles pour vous. Hier, vous avez été invité(e) dans une famille locale et, involontairement, vous n’avez pas toujours respecté la culture du pays. Racontez cette expérience de manière humoristique sur votre blog de voyage.

Votre école organise un débat intitulé : « Faut-il chanter l’hymne national tous les matins à l’école ? » Choisissez le point de vue pour ou contre et rédigez le texte de votre discours.

Vous constatez qu’une fête traditionnelle locale est en train de disparaître car elle attire de moins en moins de personnes. Très attaché(e) à celle-ci, vous souhaitez qu’elle retrouve sa popularité. Rédigez un tract montrant l’importance de cette fête et incitant les gens à y participer.

Santé
Vous avez lu un article dans un journal national qui expose une proposition du gouvernement pour rendre le système de santé gratuit pour tous, sauf pour ceux qui fument. Écrivez une lettre au rédacteur du journal pour donner votre avis sur cette proposition.

À la demande de votre coordinateur de CAS, rédigez une brochure à l’intention des nouveaux élèves de votre école soulignant les bienfaits de ce programme pour leur bien-être physique et/ou psychologique.

Pour remédier au faible nombre d’organes donnés, le gouvernement de votre pays vient de passer une nouvelle loi : toute personne donnera automatiquement ses organes, sauf si elle s’y oppose par écrit. Vous réagissez à cette décision dans une lettre au courrier des lecteurs de votre journal préféré. Rédigez cette lettre.

Vous êtes allé(e) dans un hôpital spécialisé dans les soins aux enfants. Vous avez trouvé que l’ambiance y était triste et avez des idées pour le rendre plus gai. Écrivez une lettre à la direction de l’hôpital pour proposer des mesures pour rendre cet hôpital plus joyeux.

Pour la rubrique « Carrières » du journal de l’école, vous avez interviewé un médecin passionné par son métier. Rédigez le texte de cette interview.

Loisirs
Pourquoi voyager à l’étranger si on ne connait même pas son propre pays ? Vous êtes étonné(e) du nombre de personnes qui choisissent d’aller jusqu’à l’autre bout du monde, mais qui ne connaissent pas leur pays. Pour le journal de votre école, vous rédigez un article dans lequel vous exprimez votre étonnement et expliquez pourquoi rester dans son propre pays peut être enrichissant.

Lors d’une rencontre sportive récente, vous avez eu l’impression que votre entraîneur/euse était obsédé(e) par la victoire de votre équipe, au détriment de l’esprit sportif. Rédigez un courriel à la direction de votre club de sport pour dénoncer cette situation.

Ces derniers temps, vous avez remarqué que vos loisirs, loin d’être une occasion de vous détendre, sont plutôt devenus une source de stress. Vous songez même à tous les laisser tomber. Rédigez un passage de votre journal intime dans lequel vous réfléchissez à cette situation.

Vous avez vu récemment un film basé sur un événement historique. Pour la rubrique Sorties du journal de votre école, vous rédigez la critique de ce film.

Vous êtes allé(e) au cirque et avez assisté à un spectacle dans lequel les animaux vous ont semblé maltraités. Vous décidez d’écrire une lettre à la direction du cirque afin de faire part de votre mécontentement. Rédigez cette lettre.

Sciences et technologie
Avec Internet, la téléphonie mobile, les applications pour les tablettes et les réseaux sociaux en ligne, avons-nous encore une vie privée ? Pour le journal local, vous interviewez un spécialiste de ces nouvelles technologies et vous cherchez à savoir s’il faut s’inquiéter. Rédigez cette interview.

Lors d’un salon technologique, vous avez découvert un nouveau robot capable d’interagir avec les humains. Rédigez une page de votre journal intime dans lequel vous exprimez les sentiments que ces progrès technologiques vous inspirent.

Le ministère de l’Éducation a décidé d’acheter une tablette numérique pour chaque élève. Votre école organise un débat sur le thème : « La tablette numérique pour tous : un investissement justifié ? » Choisissez le point de vue pour ou contre et rédigez le texte du discours que vous prononcerez dans le cadre de ce débat.

Une personne âgée de votre famille hésite à utiliser l’Internet pour faire des achats en ligne. Voulant l’aider, vous décidez de lui envoyer un courriel pour lui en expliquer tous les avantages. Rédigez ce courriel.

Votre école organise un débat sur la question : « Les progrès technologiques menacent-ils la vie privée ? » Pour ce débat, vous allez exposer votre point de vue pour ou contre. Rédigez le texte du discours que vous prononcerez devant vos camarades.

Exprimez et justifiez votre opinion personnelle sur la réflexion ci-dessous. Choisissez un des types de texte étudiés en classe. Écrivez entre 150 et 250 mots.
« On reconnaît le degré de civilisation d’un peuple à la manière dont il traite ses animaux. »

« Dans les réseaux sociaux, c’est la superficialité qui domine, pas l’information. »

La publicité nous transmet un message que l’on pourrait résumer ainsi : « Consomme, et tu seras heureux ».

« Le téléphone mobile ne nous a pas apporté plus de liberté. Au contraire, il a fait de nous ses esclaves. »

En accordant trop d’importance aux mauvaises nouvelles, les médias d’information contribuent à développer une vision pessimiste du monde.
1 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:32 pm

After doing writing something for a Paper 2 in class in silence and close to exam conditions. I feel less nervous about the writing paper- I've improved considerably. I'm in the process of making a Quizlet study deck for useful phrases. I have 45 terms so far. I want to have 90 in total. I've started writing something for one of the writing tasks I've mentioned in the previous post. I'll email it to my teacher by the end of today. I am in this weird state of numbness- my first instinct to bury my head in the sand but I have to push myself and remember my goals and do something.

I'm not expecting to memorise all of it but it can provide a useful starter for my topic sentences. I can't wait for the IB to be over.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”