aaleks's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: Just a log (English)

Postby aaleks » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

aaleks wrote:Grammar...

Does everyone drill grammar? doing all those grammar exercises unit after unit? Is it possible to reach high level of language proficiency without that? The truth is I haven't spent much time on that part of language learning. A couple weekends, I guess, maybe a little more. I have read about grammar, tried to understand how all that works but... I often read here and on other sites how people work with textbooks, spending hours on grammar exercises, and I feel that I myself do nothing compared with. And then I start to wonder that maybe I do something wrong? I'm not going to change my approach (if I may call it so :mrgreen: ) because it's easy and I'm lazy :D But there are two questions I have: 1. How did that happen that I learned something at all. 2. will I ever reach a high level of language proficiency or I am doomed to stay somewhere in the B-section. The questions are a bit rhetorical, as I already said I'm not going to change anything anyway :) . This is just an idle musing... (and writing practice too ;) )

Hi! Speaking for myself, I do not think that it is much productive doing grammar excercises. I prefer to practice verb conjugations, adjective and noun declensions. I like practicing my handwriting and that helps me to remember better words, conjugations and verbs. But I always have a simplified grammar book at hand or also I can google the subject I would like to learn or not understand. I believe is more productive if you do tons of reading and see in practice how grammar works. It is a good idea and much more productive spending some time analysing the sentence structure, especially those which you did not understand. Besides, to achieve a high level of proficiency you need to practice your four language skills. ;)
I do not know if I answred your questions or made myself understood. :)
1 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:40 pm

I think deliberate exercises can make acquisition faster, serve as a self test, and teach *about* the language. Knowing *about* the language and knowing the language can be totally different things. In schools we are often taught about the langue instead of the language. You seem to have taken the route to learn the language directly without so much care in learning about it, which is what most people want but don't get or don't achieve without the other half.

I'll say that 10 year old native speakers speak their language pretty well but they neither write not speak perfectly. At this point education takes over and we make them do lots of grammar and writing practice over many years to get them up to college level output. If native kids need it, non natives probably need something like it too. IMO of course :)

All of that said, I doubt you are stuck on the B levels. I obviously can't judge your other skills but there is nothing about your writing that says B level to me (again IMO).
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Postby LinguaPony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:09 pm

You don't need any drills. Not anymore. Personally, I find extensive reading a lot more helpful than any drills, and if you decide to follow my lead, then at some point - when your inner voice tells you that the time has come - you might want to start writing essays or articles. If they are not your cup of tea, forum posts are good enough too, and you already do a lot of it.

No one is doomed to stay at B2. You've made a lot of progress since the day I read your first post here, and that's not long, as I'm still a newbie here. Just keep going and believe in yourself :)
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:37 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:57 am

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Postby LinguaPony » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 pm

That's a funny one. I've never tried it for Russian yet though.

They also have good tests for grammar.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”