aaleks's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Just a log (English)

Postby smallwhite » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:09 pm

aaleks wrote:Seems I'm not a C2 even in my native tongue :P

Can't say. Natives aren't automatically C2. C2 is a high level that some but not all natives have. You can always try the Russian Dialang tests to find out. Myself I'm rather mediocre in my L1.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:37 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 pm

aaleks wrote:Tried to do the Dialang test. This time the reading part... It gave me B2.
Well, usually I would say that my real level should be lower and blah, blah, blah..., but in case with my passive skills I do believe that they are at least C1/C2. For the last 5 years I have read about fifty books or so, so I kind of can read :roll: . There, in the test, I had 6 wrong answers. The thing is that two out of four suggested answers to those questions can be correct. They're more about your opinion that makes them arbitrary, IMO. I could've made the same "mistakes" had I took a similar test for my native tongue. The funniest (or "funniest"?) one was about horoscopes :roll: Well not exactly about them, there was a text that, as I later found out, was a horoscope text. But I don't read those things even in my native tongue, I don't beleive in them, and even if I hear one accidentally I don't pay attention. When I saw that one among the answers it looked like a joke to me. I just couldn't take it seriously so I dismissed it. Ok maybe it's a prejudice but how my knowledge about horoscopes' text can reflect my reading ability in general? It's preposterous.

Saint Seya used to be popular in Western Europe in the late 80s. Most native speakers are familiar with the signs of the Zodiac but I doubt that this knowledge goes any further than that.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Postby Oscard587 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Oh, I guess it’s fine. I read forum rules when I registered here and It was fine to use other languages in language log board and some others. I think it’s intended to encourage users to use their TL in here. But sometimes.. It feels like that I should say I don’t have any native language in here, when I think of it :roll: I need a comfortable space to breathe with my own language and it was the language log board! :lol:

Is it EFL.ru? Is that website down now? Oh, I thought it was the good opportunity for me to look how russian language learners write about this...
1 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Postby Oscard587 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm

aaleks wrote:
Oscard587 wrote:Is it EFL.ru? Is that website down now? Oh, I thought it was the good opportunity for me to look how russian language learners write about this...

Yes, it's EFL.ru.
When I wrote about breaking the forum rules I meant not writing in Russian :) but that I was writing about another site. On the other hand it was one of languge learning sites that was closed like that - in one night, so I hope it's ok to write here about that.

Oh, I couldn’t think in that way. I read some discussions in the past and rarely other websites written during discussion. Anyway for that, I’m also not certain so maybe I should read rules once again. I hope new website will be opened soon. That could be helpful to me..
0 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm

The Language Programs and Resources
area is full of links and we regularly discuss Duolingo etc. Some members have specifically asked for links to language learning forums in other languages. They're mostly dead or dying.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ums#p82271
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:18 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:42 am

"Изменились люди, изменились настолько, что и форум изменился, изменился окончательно и бесповоротно, и лучше было его усыпить, как безнадежно больную собаку..."

I wish this happened to HTLAL and some other language forums. I'm finding myself overinvested in a dog of an idea.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”