aaleks's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: Just a log (English, Italian)

Postby aaleks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:37 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Hmm.. that poor student. I think it would be very hard to reach B2 with a non native tutor who doesn't understand the idioms he/she is using and is probably only B2 him/herself. No wonder that tutor is planning about 18,000 hours to B2.

I think it would be great for you to continue to write longer arguments on the actual topic of the thread. Or maybe start an identically named thread and specify that you're actually going to discuss that topic and not attempt to control the thread to a discussion about one personal situation. :-p
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 am

aaleks wrote:
Ani wrote:I think it would be great for you to continue to write longer arguments on the actual topic of the thread. Or maybe start an identically named thread and specify that you're actually going to discuss that topic and not attempt to control the thread to a discussion about one personal situation. :-p

Well... this is an interesting (and tempting) thought ;) I guess the worst thing that might happen is -- me getting banned :D

You would get banned for stating and defending an opinion? That seems ridiculous. Arguments don't have to be rude or personal, but they are excellent language practice.

Edit: whenever you post these threads I get tempted to go get involved myself lol. I think when well well well asked you to speak in general terms you might have reminded him/her that that us excellent advice to consider before repeatedly insulting a student for being lazy.

Can you explain why you use )) frequently? I see other people using it to.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 am

I'm a bit confused - what was the problem with 'more power to you'? I thought their English was weird in other ways (not who I would want teaching me English) but that sounds fine to me.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:25 am

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Both the links you posted about "more power to you" are correct in their differing senses, except for the example of climbing Mt Everest which really doesn't work. It's not usually an earnest encouragent.. Itsually means you have some distance from the person's choice but you're not going to get in their way either because you would appreciate the outcome (like they resolve something you weren't willing to tackle), or because you're respecting everyone's right to live their life as they choose (you'd never ever do that, but you know we're not all the same). It's a very hard expression to use properly imo because it easily comes off as dismissive and rude without the right context and pre-existing relationship.

Haha I really didn't assume Russian forums were similar to stereotypes of Russian mobsters :) There are lots of forums though, moderated in all sorts of ways. I've been on plenty of forums that ban people for nonsense and personal disagreements.

I don't want to start picking on someone I never met, but your English is much easier to understand than well well well. She may not make many technical errors, but she misuses expressions and changes voice so often that the overall meaning is hard to make out.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 pm

Both the links you posted about "more power to you" are correct in their differing senses, except for the example of climbing Mt Everest which really doesn't work. It's not usually an earnest encouragent.. Itsually means you have some distance from the person's choice but you're not going to get in their way either because you would appreciate the outcome (like they resolve something you weren't willing to tackle), or because you're respecting everyone's right to live their life as they choose (you'd never ever do that, but you know we're not all the same). It's a very hard expression to use properly imo because it easily comes off as dismissive and rude without the right context and pre-existing relationship.

Haha I really didn't assume Russian forums were similar to stereotypes of Russian mobsters :) There are lots of forums though, moderated in all sorts of ways. I've been on plenty of forums that ban people for nonsense and personal disagreements.

I don't want to start picking on someone I never met, but your English is much easier to understand than well well well. She may not make many technical errors, but she misuses expressions and changes voice so often that the overall meaning is hard to make out.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 pm

1 x

Return to “Language logs”