aaleks's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Re: Just a log (English)

Postby Oscard587 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 pm

I found more examples and usages about that in my book, 'Practical English Usage' by Michael Swan.
I didn't write explanations from that book. it's too late to write all in here.

1. results
'We'll go home now if you get the car.' (conditions)
'We'll go home now if it'll make you feel better.' (results)

2. 'if it is true now that...'
'If prices will really come down in a few months, I'm not going to buy one now.'

3. indirect questions: I don't know if
'I don't know if I'll be ready in time.'

4. polite requests : in this case, will is not a future auxiliary. it means 'are willing to'. would can be used to make it even more polite.
'If you will come in this way, I'll show you your room.'

5. insistence
'If you WILL eat so much, it's not surprising you feel ill.'
2 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:55 am

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 am

Oh yes, my ability to use commas in any language has gone completely haywire since learning Russian. :lol:

I like what you're saying about letting go of the crutches. I'm the complete opposite, so I'll be intrigued to see how it goes for you!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:09 pm

aaleks wrote:Speaking of reading as reading, i.e. reading books, with it things aren't going well. For the first three months of the year I haven't even finished the third book yet. The reason is I don't read much. Usually it's only a couple of pages a day. When I started to read books in English I did it for vocabulary in the first place. Now it seems my brain kind of think that the job is done, and I read just for pleasure. Well, it's true. But it's true as well that I need to read more to improve my writing.

Hi! You said you do not read much, only a couple of pages a day, but you vocabulary seems very large and your grammar skills quite good. When you have time, share with us a bit of your technics to learn vocab. That may be very interesting. ;)
Congrats on your results! :)
1 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:57 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 pm

aaleks wrote:
rfnsoares wrote:
aaleks wrote:Speaking of reading as reading, i.e. reading books, with it things aren't going well. For the first three months of the year I haven't even finished the third book yet. The reason is I don't read much. Usually it's only a couple of pages a day. When I started to read books in English I did it for vocabulary in the first place. Now it seems my brain kind of think that the job is done, and I read just for pleasure. Well, it's true. But it's true as well that I need to read more to improve my writing.

Hi! You said you do not read much, only a couple of pages a day, but you vocabulary seems very large and your grammar skills quite good. When you have time, share with us a bit of your technics to learn vocab. That may be very interesting. ;)
Congrats on your results! :)

Thank you :)

I don't read much now but I did read more in my first 1-2 years of English learning. I'm a slow reader, so I didn't read really a lot, like 100 page a day. My goal at first was 5, then 10 page a day. Up till the last year (since 2012) I tried to stick to that. But then I don't know - maybe I switched my attention to writing + grammar, or maybe I just couldn't find something I would really like to read.

I don't have any technic. I've learned all my vocabulary from the books and other stuff I've read (and watched). I just read and looked up words in a dictionary*. That's all. I didn't write words down, or use Anki, or anything like that.
(I hate any kind of wordlists since school... so usually I just cheated on the vocabulary tests back then :mrgreen: ).
I don't think that my vocabulary is large, really :) There are people with vocabulary 1.5 times bigger than mine, but they use wordlists and other techniques like that, of course :( :) .

*of course I did not just look up and move on, I tried to memorize them. But I didn't make any notes, I usually I had to look up the same word more than once.

edit: my writing really needs to be improved :|

I am a slow reader too, I guess. Even in my mother tongue, I read a page every two minutes. So in one hour I read about 30-35 pages. :o .... Like you, I never used wordlists for English and/or took notes. I started increasing my vocabulary in 2011, but unfortunately I do not remember exactly how long it took me to start to read fluently :(
Anyways, our methods for learning English were similar, but I believe you were much more diligent than me along the way, because your writing skills seem fine to me. :)
2 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:46 am

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”