aaleks's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: Just a log (English, Italian)

Postby aaleks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:22 pm

AnkiDroid is the right app for Android phones. You can sync across devices if you desire if you have a web based Anki account. (Also free.. only the iOS app is paid)

That's definitely too few words. No need to up the # of cards. The benefits of Anki are in long term rétention, not first learning or short term cramming (although it's possible to use it that way if so desired). The real way to decide if you like Anki is to continue to add words daily that you've already looked up and "learned" at least minimally (or in large chunks weekly or a few times a week) and then just continue to use the default settings every day for a month or two.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 pm

aaleks wrote:I know that I would memorize those words a lot faster by using my usual lookup approach. But it's just me, and who knows maybe one day I would use the app for learning low frequency words. So I'm not saying that the app is not effective but just that its effectiveness depends on other factors.

I'm also not a big SRS fan for language learning, but I occasionally return to it to see if I can find a new way to use it and not hate it. I've come to realize that it seems to work best if I use it with words/phrases/sentences that I know receptively but not actively; so when I come across them while reading and understand what they mean but then when I want to speak I can't think of them.

I've found that it doesn't work at all for me if I use it as a way to learn the meaning of the word, it just works to help me remember a word/phrase that I'm familiar with.

Maybe at some point you could try to use it like this to see if it makes any difference for you.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:04 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:49 pm

aaleks wrote:I don't know if I should ask it here but I'm really curious - is the phrase "Any more questions?" rude? :roll:

It's well well well again... sorry :oops:

You should definitely ask questions like that here :)

It can definitely be used in a rude, condescending way. If it's a personal conversion, I'd make that assumption unless you had previously asked for an explanation.

It is also the standard phrase to use at the end of a lecture or Q/A session to actually see if anyone has more questions.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm

aaleks wrote:Ani, I forgot to say that it was my question to her :roll: . But I think she overreacted. Or not? :roll:

I'll give a link because it's just funny (then I always can delete it ;) )

https://efl-forum.ru/boards/viewtopic.p ... 080#p43080

Haha I like your post. It was a fitting use of the phrase because of her "regardless of effort" made it sort of an obvious stupid question. Truly it wasn't very rude and I think she over reacts because of weak English, love of drama or both :)
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”