aaleks's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Just a log (English, Italian)

Postby StringerBell » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 pm

aaleks wrote:but I'm not sure that now the text looks really better, and that I didn't mess it up even more.

You made it much better! :D

There's only two sentences I'd change, and to be honest, I don't know if either are technically wrong the way you wrote them, or if they are technically right but they just aren't the way a native speaker would say them. They are also both really minor things; all your verb tenses look spot on!

aaleks wrote:In the[/color] Last week or two I wasn't hadn't really been listening to something in Italian, just occasionally 5 min here 10 min there.

Instead of "something" I'd say "anything". I'd write it like this:
-In the last week or two I hadn't really been listening to anything in Italian, just 5-10 min here and there.

I suspect it's because the sentence is a negative, and "anything" tends to pop up in negative sentences, but I'm not positive that's the reason; it's just the way I'd expect to hear it, and it's the way I'd say it myself. Also, I would use either "occasionally" or 5-10 minutes here and there because they both mean the same thing.

aaleks wrote:I know more words now and the my overall level is better than it used to be back then.

In this sentence, I would use either "it used to be" or "back then" because they both sort of mean the same thing. If I were writing that sentence, I'd probably write:
-I know more words now and my overall level is better than it used to be.
-I know more words now and my overall level is better than it was back then.

The thing is, plenty of native English speakers probably would write it like this, it's not wrong, it just doesn't sound "optimal".
Last edited by StringerBell on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm

aaleks wrote:
I tried to find and fix the mistakes I made
In the beginning I was listending/watching a lot. There actually was a time when I was watching more in Italian more ratherthan in English. At some point I reduced that time partly because there was nothing interesting to watch, partly because I felt that my English started suffer suffering, and I didn't see any point in spending too much of my language-learning time on watching something that I barely understood. In the Last week or two I wasn't hadn't really been listening to something anything in Italian, just occasionally 5 min here 10 min there. Today I came across a series (a couple of episodes) which caught my attention and I was surprised to find out that my listening had worsened for during that month or so even though despite the fact that I know more words now and the my overall level is better than it used to be back then. That led me to the conclusion that listening is a skill in itself and early listening is not a waste of time.
At the same time when it comes to such things as Peppa Pig my listening comprehension has definitely improved

I'd probably also say "started to suffer" instead of suffering. It borders on a fixed expression that something "steered to suffer" but your way isn't wrong or weird.
Some of the changes you made are purely stylistic and on occasion I'd say equally right so that's probably why you were doubting your corrections. Still the second version looks better overall. I just made a few adjustment you missed.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 pm

In the beginning I was listening/watching a lot. There actually was a time when I was watching in Italian more than in English. At some point I reduced the time partly because there was nothing interesting to watch, partly because I felt that my English had started to suffer, and I didn't see any point in spending too much of my language learning time on watching something I barely understood. In the last week or two I hadn't really listened to anything in Italian, just the occasionally 5 - 10 minutes here or there. Today I came across a series (a couple of episodes) which caught my attention and was surprised to find my listening has worsened for that month or so despite the fact I know more words and my overall level is better than it used to be back then. That led me to the conclusion that listening is a skill in itself and early listening is not a waste of time. At the same time when it comes to such things as Peppa Pig my listening comprehension has definitely improved.

The above is the way I would have written it.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:32 pm

aaleks wrote:As been promised I deleted this half-personal post :)

Suffering succotash!
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:56 am

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:46 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:28 am

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:15 pm

del.
Last edited by aaleks on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 pm

'too', from the third time last sentence, should probably be 'either'. Otherwise it looks identical to a stream of consciousness/spoken rambling journal entry from a native speaker.
Stop being so hard on yourself.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”