DoomedDinosaur’s originally titled log [FR, PT, DE]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DoomedDinosaur
Languages: English (N), French (B2.5), Portuguese (A0.5)

DoomedDinosaur’s originally titled log [FR, PT, DE]

Postby DoomedDinosaur » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Bonjour,

This is just my language learning log.
    Learning
      German ----> with the goal of passing a B2 test sometime next year
      French ----> goal of passing a C1 test sometime next year
      Portuguese ----> meeting cute brazilians speaking this competently. I don't think there's a test I can do here?

My current learning process is direly conventional, but I want to change it up and eventually experiment.

(post edited because this was a year old and not really relevant.)
Last edited by DoomedDinosaur on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Read 2000 French pages: 40 / 1000
Learn 1000 new French words: 0 / 1000

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: DoomedDinosaur’s (Hopefully-not-Doomed) Log

Postby Iversen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 pm

DoomedDinosaur wrote:Hello all from the past..

Did you always call yourself DoomedDinosaur?
1 x

DoomedDinosaur

Postby DoomedDinosaur » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:59 am

No, I was simply making a bad joke about my username :D
1 x

DoomedDinosaur

Postby DoomedDinosaur » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 am

How time vanishes. Life ruthlessly eliminates my attempts at etching in a reliable schedule, and forum posting tracks to the bottom of an otherwise calm language learning sea. :?

Study progresses, slowly, with Portuguese and German now both clamoring for my attention. German is me engaging in fruitful self-deception, reanimating the decayed-but-still-extant remnants of my high-school language classes for the satisfaction of accelerated progress (read: relearning). That's not to say it doesn't charm me with an incredibly sexy allure or promises of high-speed central European adventures.

As for French, sitting the C1 exam is probably within my grasp. If it isn't, time, native material, and an unhealthily dependent relationship with SRS will guarantee that it is. An ever widening net of increasingly obscure words is making me increasingly happy, the farther I get from learning daily/mundane vocabulary the more excited I am by actually opening Anki. Anyway, my forum flair will remain B2.5 for now, since in my experience self-estimates tend to overshoot.

By virtue of posting this [ahem, again] to such a great community, I hope to motivate myself to study more; learn more; get frustrated, quit a language, then come back to it with love in my eyes more; and generally work towards a more coherent language learning approach. Yeah, I likely said something to such effect in the first post, but this time it's *different*, alright? ;)

More to be soon be written..!
3 x

DoomedDinosaur

Postby DoomedDinosaur » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:06 am

Life continues to demand other things, but in the past day I managed to:

German:
    Complete one of the DLI GLOSS exercises for German (revision and some new medical terms that hopefully I'll never have to use.)
    Add about 20 German<>French pairs to my precious Anki database, and study them,
    Attempt to find exciting German music, leading me to rediscover Lyricstraining. I played around with that for a while. It's loads of fun although the method can be frustratingly dependent on typing speed. That's possibly good since it enforces learning to the point of rapid recall. I'd be interested in knowing what level of demanding a 'speed recall' is optimal for this type of learning.

French:
    Listen to the (internet) radio. It helps that I can mostly follow anything not too colloquial/non-standard. A frustrating (power laws be damned!) minority of words still escape me entirely in some conversations though. Luckily I'm past the point in French where it's impossible to even look up a lot of words due to difficulties in parsing the audio stream for words. (Which is nice, and satisfying, and a milestone French learners should universally celebrate with copious casks of champagne).

Portuguese languishes, abjectly despondent, at the back. I have no good excuses. Hopefully tomorrow!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”