Sentence reps investigation.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: GSR investigation.

Postby reineke » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Xmmm wrote:
sfuqua wrote:I based the 20000 minutes of watching on something Cavesa said about what it takes to get to C2.

I'm skeptical about this number. I've done more than 15000 minutes of TV watching in Italian and I'm something like a B 1.5 in listening.

Maybe if you are already C2 in a couple related languages ... or maybe if you front-load all your reading and vocab and do 20000 minutes of watching on the back end of your TL studies ... or maybe I have less than average linguistic skills (entirely possible).

Listening vs Comprehension (and the case against TV)

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 1&start=20
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:54 am

I'm also pretty sure that Cavesa is way, way smarter than me.

At least way, way younger :D

Not that age is any impediment (in defiance of multiple studies).

I'm sort of shocked at how well I do at 64 years old. I wonder if the "magic" of neuroplasticity hasn't made my brain a little different from the average 64 year old.

I really enjoy language learning, and I hope that I can keep doing it for a long time.
Success, in the usual measures, is less important to me, probably, than it is to some other folks on the forum.
I'm just trying to get my production up to "outstanding tourist" level. After I complete GSR, one way or another, I'm going to do a big blast of input.

I'm going to try to do as much input as I can in the mean time with reading, and movies if they're fun.

I wonder how far GSR will take me.

B1 would be nice, but of course there are no guarantees.
B2 would be wonderful, and cause me to fly to Taiwan to thank Glossika.
C1 would make me break dance in the quad at my middle school and then make me quit working and become an Internet language guru.
B1 would be nice.
5 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:34 am

I missed a couple of days of GSR, one because I got distracted reading Spanish and my reading ran right through my "GSR hour", and one because of some worrisome family health issues.
I played around with some of the sentences from Assimil that I already have in files for anki and was able to produce something very close to a GSR file using TTS voices.

I probably should have spent more time reading or doing GSR files than playing with a text editor, a spreadsheet, and a tts program, but it was sort of cool. I didn't produce anything that great. I even did a version of GSR files using sentences from some subtitle files...
And then I went and did some GSR files.

All is as well as it can be; I continue...
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:08 am

Sfuqua, just want to say that I love the term “outstanding tourist level”. That pretty much describes my language goals. At the moment I would say I am “adequate tourist level” in one language and “bumbling tourist level” in another.
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:24 am

I actually started Tagalog again; right now I think that the stress in my life is helped more by making myself tired with GSR files.
I'm not sure if I will continue Tagalog, but it seemed like a good idea today.

I'm going to stagger my lessons a little so that I don't have the day with the GMS files for all three languages at the same time. Hopefully I can keep up this pace until next summer.

It probably makes more sense for me to study Tagalog than to spend time with my texteditor, trying to make a playlist that turns Assimil files into a sort of GSR file...
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 am

0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:16 am

sfuqua wrote: I wonder how far GSR will take me.

B1 would be nice, but of course there are no guarantees.
B2 would be wonderful, and cause me to fly to Taiwan to thank Glossika.
C1 would make me break dance in the quad at my middle school and then make me quit working and become an Internet language guru.
B1 would be nice.

You'll be posting a video of this, right? I'm looking forward to seeing your moves.
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:35 am

18000 reps in Spanish and French and almost that much in Tagalog.

I looked at gradint and it seems to do more or less what I am trying to do, but I am pretty sure that whatever I come up with would not be as good as glossika GSR is. I see that a lot of people are having fun with the new approach glossika is using, but I'm still pretty happy with the original GSR files. I just can't imagine turning over control of my language learning to any sort of AI/website.

I really hope they publish some of the material they are gathering with their new system. By publishing it, I mean producing pdf and mp3 files.

But perhaps that's just me. I just really lust for those Irish and Cebuano courses...

I've been doing Tagalog lately, and I've discovered something that is sort of shocking. The GSR files I've been doing in French and Spanish has actually gotten me to a point where I can do GSR files better in Spanish, and maybe even French better than I can do Tagalog. I don't mean to say that my overall communicative ability in Spanish and French is ahead of my communicative ability in Tagalog, but in the particular activity of doing GSR, I'm getting up to speed again with the whole process.

I continue to feel that GSR files are working as advertised and that they may serve as a sort of "FSI lite". I'm sure that many of the effects of GSR could be produced with a thorough shadowing of Assimil, or better yet a real audiolingual FSI course.

If I had infinite time and energy, I might spend most of the day doing extensive reading and listening along with the GSR files, but right now, it's mostly GSR.

A potential problem I'm facing with doing three languages at once is the whole issue of interference. It's sort of weird which way that the interference runs. It seems to be much more from weaker language to stronger language. Right now, I'm in love with French. It seems cool in every way, and I just want to push my French up to C2, move to France, and then run for president. Spanish is a close friend; there is so much to read and watch that I haven't gotten to... Tagalog, well, is the friend I take for granted. Of course I can speak Tagalog and watch TV in it. Of course it is the language of my extended family. Of course it is the language of the country that was a second home for me for about a decade. But French is so sexy. And sweet. And nasty. And...

When I hear a prompt in English while doing a GSR French file, the French pops into my head.
When I hear a prompt in English while doing a GSR Spanish file, the French pops into my head first.
When I hear a prompt in English while doing a GSR Tagalog, usually the French and sometimes the Spanish pops into my head first.
I'm not sure if this means anything or if it is just what happens when an exhausted language learner pushes ahead with oral training in 3 languages.
5 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:23 pm

In looking at my last post, it seems that I am saying that developing fluency in an L2 requires a course with oral language.
If you have people that you regularly interact with in the L2, particularly if there are a variety of communicative tasks you need to carry out in the language, I imagine you can reach high levels without courses that demand oral production.
Friends and lovers are usually more fun than drills and practice.

Edited to fix a typo and to add another thought.
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:17 pm

19000 reps.
I dropped Tagalog; it's just too much along with French and Spanish.
I've also started adding in some reps from Assimil. With a playlist, a text editor, and a spreadsheet, you can produce a playlist that will give you reps in the target language. I'm reading through Assimil also, trying to be sure that I learn the grammar in Assimil. I feel like I need some grammar to complement the automaticity of GSR.

I'm continuing to work hard.
All is well.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Return to “Language logs”