A few months of Portuguese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: A few months of Portuguese

Postby tastyonions » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Today marks three successful weeks of my routine with Assimil's Le Portuguais.

Lessons seen three times: 1-7
Lessons seen twice: 8-14
Lessons seen once: 15-21

Tomorrow I will start with some activation.
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:39 pm

http://desciclopedia.org/wiki/Sotaque_de_Portugal
O sotaque de Portugal é um sotaque comprovadamente mineiro de Belrizont devido ao hábito de não falarem a maioria das vogais as quais curiosamente não se esquecem de escrever em textos de prosa. Como exemplo a frase em prosa "se cá nevasse fazia-se cá ski", pronuncia-se "scá nváss fazia scá ski"; a frase "Setembro chove" pronuncia-se "stembrchov"; e a frase "A vida é uma sucessiva sucessão de sucessões que se sucedem sucessivamente, sem suceder o sucesso" pronuncia-se "â vid'é umâ súçssivâ suçssão d'suçssões qsscédãe suçssivamente, sãe suçder o sucesso". Facto comprovado faz com que o português de Portugal esteja em risco de expulsão como membro das línguas românicas o que não aconteceu até à data por escreverem ainda com sotaque romance. No entanto, o próximo acordo ortográfico que tem na agenda propor a eliminação das vogais obsoletas, poderá fazer com que o português de Portugal mude de ramo linguístico.
:lol:

That's exactly one of the things I like about Portuguese from Portugal, the way so many vowels disappear and it turns into a delicious consonant soup.

Learned a few color words that were different than expected today:
preto (black)
cinza (gray) (like ES "ceniza")
vermelho (red) (like EN "vermilion")
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:38 am

Four successful weeks of Le Portugais!

Lessons seen four times: 1-7
Lessons seen three times: 8-14
Lessons seen twice: 15-21
Lessons seen once: 22-28

I was a bit disappointed to discover that there was no Portuguese meetup near me. Maybe once I finish up with Assimil I can start one myself?

:D
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 pm

I missed a lesson yesterday, but I made up for it by doing two today, one in the morning and one this afternoon. Still on track! Today marks my thirty-fifth day of Le Portugais.

Lessons seen four times: 1-14
Lessons seen three times: 15-21
Lessons seen twice: 22-28
Lessons seen once: 29-35

Assimil is my only consistent exposure to the language, but I do tune into Portuguese radio or look at news sites from time to time. My understanding of those is increasing.

I am going to Italy on the 15th and coming back on the 24th, so I plan to transfer the Assimil MP3s to my phone before then. This will probably be my last "regularly scheduled Saturday Portuguese update" before the 30th.
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm

So I have missed maybe five or six days of lessons so far, but I am still continuing fairly steadily. Right now I am on lesson 61.

Oh, and I started a Portuguese meetup! Nine people are signed up to go to the first one, which takes place tomorrow.

I had an italki lesson this morning, which was my first time ever speaking the language to anyone. I figured that I should at least speak it once before trying to run a meetup in it.

:lol:
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

tastyonions wrote:Oh, and I started a Portuguese meetup! Nine people are signed up to go to the first one, which takes place tomorrow.

The first meetup went great! We had ten people total: one native from Portugal, two experienced heritage speakers, and the rest with widely varying levels.
3 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 am

tastyonions wrote:
tastyonions wrote:Oh, and I started a Portuguese meetup! Nine people are signed up to go to the first one, which takes place tomorrow.

The first meetup went great! We had ten people total: one native from Portugal, two experienced heritage speakers, and the rest with widely varying levels.
How was your portuguese?
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm

DaveBee wrote:How was your portuguese?

I was somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of ability. Definitely some interference from Spanish and I had to rephrase things to make my point clearer a number of times, but that's to be expected for my second time speaking the language.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”