Overscore's log: srpski

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Re: Overscore's log

Postby overscore » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Golden Kamuy 第1巻 page 178/191

Best word: 雷管
1 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Golden Kamuy 第1巻 complete 191/191

I finished reading the first novel, now I would like to buy the second one.
第一巻を読了したが、次の本を買いたい。

At this point I'm thinking Harry Potter first chapter is still a bit daunting, so I will pick another manga book and go through that.
So far I'm about 7-8 mangas in, no full length novel yet.

For those who are wondering, https://booklive.jp has become just about my favourite site. Unlike AmazonJP I didn't have any trouble signing up and they offer a wide selection of e-content readable on pretty much any device.
2 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 am

Read some manga this last few days. I estimate 50 pages.
My comprehension is still fairly low overall, but I'm happy with the material I have, it's really interesting and I wish I could follow the text better.
2 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:20 am

Tried doing some work today, but my mind and body felt tired and would not collaborate much, so I didn't fight it and rested.
I picked up 幸, and readings こう、さいわい.
1 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Doing more (literary) work today.

この作品は、デジタル配信用に再編集を行ったものです。

デジタルはいしんように・for use as digital distribution

I'm still lacking a lot of characters; I'm sniping the common ones using a word-based approach instead of drilling the individual characters. I think this will become a problem once I get to learn personal names, but for now there's no need to worry.

Vola dedja deus ans ki vosse pôve mame est moite, dijheut l' vî cinsî Matî Crayea a s' fi Pire, li djoû del Floreye Påke. Dji so nåjhi di m' siervi di totes ces meskenes la, ces trouwandes ki n' fijhèt ki d' fotrimasser tot mascåssant les ovraedjes et ki n' sont måy k' a tchenler dvins les coines avou les vårlets.

I'm having a bit of fun reading various articles on Wikipedia. Can you guess this language?
1 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 am

overscore wrote:
Vola dedja deus ans ki vosse pôve mame est moite, dijheut l' vî cinsî Matî Crayea a s' fi Pire, li djoû del Floreye Påke. Dji so nåjhi di m' siervi di totes ces meskenes la, ces trouwandes ki n' fijhèt ki d' fotrimasser tot mascåssant les ovraedjes et ki n' sont måy k' a tchenler dvins les coines avou les vårlets.

I'm having a bit of fun reading various articles on Wikipedia. Can you guess this language?
My guess is that this looks like it might be a Romanian dialect, but I have no clue which one.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

mick33 wrote:
overscore wrote:

My guess is that this looks like it might be a Romanian dialect, but I have no clue which one.

Nope! Better luck next time.

----

Japanese

I bought 寄生獣. Reading 寄生獣第1巻 page 31/224.
寄生獣こと.png

I've started looking at getting one of those pocket electronic dictionaries.
Looks like this.
電子辞書エクス.jpg

These are called Denshi Jisho, and come with various functionalities and dictionaries, either for learning or looking up technical vocabulary. Either way, there's so many models to choose from, and it's hard to know which are worthy of my interest.
I don't think I want one with a resistive touch-screen, it's gotta be relatively recent and good hardware if I'm going to spend half my waking time on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55 am

overscore wrote:

Bondjoû,

Walloon language, pitète?
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:59 am

lavengro wrote:Bondjoû,

Walloon language, pitète?

Ouep, c't'en plein ça, tu l'as eu. I had no idea Walloon is a Romance language. For a long time I had thought it's a dialect of Dutch.
Now I'm even more confused about the demographic and political situation in Belgium. I asked someone from Belgium once, but she proceeded to explain that her native tongue is German. I quit trying to understand Belgium.

----

German

Read an article on Heise.de about the precise definition of the second, and how it has a big impact on all sorts of things in life such as GPS functions. No big issues, understanding damn near 100%. I picked up a new word though: "Laie". It means pretty much what it sounds like, the average layperson.
2 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am

JP

Read a bunch from my manga, 寄生獣, first volume. 寄生獣第1巻 page 62/224. Brain is now チタタプ (chitatap, an ainu recipe consisting of various animal bits ground up in a soup).

The Japanese verbal system is actually pretty complex. Today I learned there's a verbal inflection for situations where you need to express "accidentally did so-and-so". So here's how it works. first you pick the verb, let's say 食う (to eat). then you put it in the "did do" tense thingy: 食って. then you add しまう conjugated in the correct tense: しまった. then you paste these two together and get the final logical product: 食ってしまった. fuse the sounds around a little bit and you get spoken japanese: 食っちまった (I accidentally ate it).
This could stand as a complete sentence in Japanese. The only requirement for a sentence in Japanese is the verb.

From that, I think I understand why Korean learners are having such a hellish time learning that language. Sometimes you just have no idea if sounds trailing the verb are a modification at the phonetic level (slurry speech or slang), or a proper inflection form you've not learned yet. Sometimes it's also both, and you're left missing a huge part of the sentence's meaning (remember the base requirement of the sentence is a verb).

-- Vocab
I'm getting a lot better at recognizing pure Japanese words from their Chinese counterparts. For an example: 数 can be [sy:] or [kazy]. Very ancient Japanese did not have vowel length distinction, from what I understand. When the Chinese words made their way into the language very frequently they kept long vowels and hissy sounds like suu juu chuu etc. These also tend to be monosyllabic. I dug around a little bit, and Chinese itself is probably related to Tibetan and Burmese languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibeto-Burman_languages
The bulk of the inventory in Japanese looks like Wu Chinese. I might read up some more into the SEA origins of Chinese, it's interesting enough for me.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”