Overscore's log: srpski

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Re: Overscore's log: srpski

Postby overscore » Sat May 02, 2020 11:57 pm

RU doesn't make use of the "biti" verb in the present, da li je?:

"Россия – Гиперборея"

Anyway I'm guessing this is the Russian counterpart to "Atlantida se nalazi ispod Srbije!" jokes
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun May 03, 2020 9:46 am

overscore wrote:RU doesn't make use of the "biti" verb in the present, da li je?:

Pretty much. The (historically) third person singular form есть is sometimes used for emphasis, and it generally goes with any person and number. The third person plural суть is used as a copula very rarely (I think the first time I've heard it used that way was in a class on formal logic, in the form of an argument that went something like "Саша есть пингвин. Пингвины суть птицы. Следовательно Саша есть птица"); it's much more commonly used as a noun meaning "essence". All the other present tense forms are essentially obsolete, although you'll occasionally hear the first person singular есмь in direct quotes of Church Slavonic phrases or in deliberately archaized statements (Аз есмь царь!), and most Russians will likely recognize the second person singular еси from the Church Slavonic version of The Lord's Prayer (Отче наш, иже еси на небесех). Although I'm not sure most people are even consciously aware that it's a second person form: the band Leningrad has a song whose chorus goes "Сила Руси в правде еси", and I think the еси is just used there for the rhyme and/or to achieve a tongue-in-cheek archaic effect, without deep thought put into what grammatical person it represents. As for the plural first and second person forms, as far as I'm concerned they are so dead and gone I can't even recall what they would sound like in Russian pronunciation off the top of my head :D
2 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Sun May 03, 2020 2:26 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:
overscore wrote:RU doesn't make use of the "biti" verb in the present, da li je?:

Pretty much. The (historically) third person singular form есть is sometimes used for emphasis, and it generally goes with any person and number. The third person plural суть is used as a copula very rarely (I think the first time I've heard it used that way was in a class on formal logic, in the form of an argument that went something like "Саша есть пингвин. Пингвины суть птицы. Следовательно Саша есть птица"); it's much more commonly used as a noun meaning "essence". All the other present tense forms are essentially obsolete, although you'll occasionally hear the first person singular есмь in direct quotes of Church Slavonic phrases or in deliberately archaized statements (Аз есмь царь!), and most Russians will likely recognize the second person singular еси from the Church Slavonic version of The Lord's Prayer (Отче наш, иже еси на небесех). Although I'm not sure most people are even consciously aware that it's a second person form: the band Leningrad has a song whose chorus goes "Сила Руси в правде еси", and I think the еси is just used there for the rhyme and/or to achieve a tongue-in-cheek archaic effect, without deep thought put into what grammatical person it represents. As for the plural first and second person forms, as far as I'm concerned they are so dead and gone I can't even recall what they would sound like in Russian pronunciation off the top of my head :D

ah interesting. these are all in common usage in serbian. for the plural 1st and 2nd it would be "jesmo" and "jeste" or something similar to that.

Oče naš, koji si na nebesima,

the OCS form looks pretty similar to the RU one:
Ѻтче нашъ, иже єси на небесѣхъ,
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Mon May 04, 2020 12:39 am

Screenshot_20200504_023126.png

A bit of Yoda speech there. I am not fully sure what is going on.

Pomeni - mention. maybe A dédicace? Gospode is the vocative form.

potrudiše is that fancy past form, but I don't understand what's the point of using it as opposed to the normal past tense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Wed May 06, 2020 1:31 am

2000 karte! Neka još 2000.

⚛️ Fizika elementarnih čestica
▏▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▕ 129 / 184
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Wed May 13, 2020 5:46 am

srpski

▏▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▕ 132 / 184

neki reči

* ispunjavajući : filling
* zapremina : geom. deo prostora koji zauzima neko telo
* proizvoditi ... ali svrš -> proizvesti : proizvedene čestice
* isključivo : samo
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm

▏▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▕ 150 / 184

* There are three generations of particles that make up all of matter.
* the top quark is enormous at a mass of 173 GeV, it does not hadronize because of its short lifespan 5×10−25 s.
* the top quark undergoes a chain of decay until it ends up as a stable proton.
* uopšte išta : inverse of "ništa"
* There's an enigma as to why matter won over antimatter in the universe.
* On that last question a parity violation was found in the Kaons K0 & !K0

The last few chapters were a pleasure to read, easily understood the text.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 pm

▏▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░▕ 174 / 184

* Super-symmetry could be an answer to the enigma (zagonetka) of dark matter.
* As the super-particles are mirrors of the standard model, but too massive to be stable, they would not be able to form proper galaxies and therefore lead to the "dark matter" phenomenon we see today.
* Nothing much concrete has been discovered to definitely prove super-symmetry.
* The standard joke, and not very funny, is that super-symmetry must be true: half the particles have already been discovered.
* Neutrinos have mass. There are 3 known masses, and neutrinos oscillate between these values in flight.

2100 Anki cards.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Wed May 27, 2020 9:10 pm

⚛️ Fizika elementarnih čestica ✅
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 184 / 184

Završio sam čitanje knjige.
⚙️ Sledeća će biti o Nikoli Tesli. ⚙️
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 pm

srpski
anki @ 2140 cards.

Mining vocabulary from a brochure about some museum dedicated to a mining town. I got it randomly in the street, but I'd like to go to the museum one day. I spend a lot of time in the mining region of Serbia to the east, so that's interesting.
Some of my questions now are about more abstract things .. I can't figure out what "izvozno okno" is supposed to mean.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”