Overscore's log: srpski

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Re: Overscore's log: srpski

Postby overscore » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:47 am

⚛️ Fizika elementarnih čestica
▏▓▓▓▓░░░░░░▕ 70 / 184

I'm debating switching my focus to Russian. It's kind of a though decision because on one side I'm finally getting somewhere with this language, and with another year or two I could really perfect it. On the other side, Serbian is pretty useless, and Russian is spoken by hundreds of millions and I'm quite interested. I find Russian phonology a bit daunting ... ы doesn't make a ton of sense to me, and movable stress is also pretty though. Overall the rest of the language is pretty intuitive: its the same grammar with tiny differences in the details and overall moderately different vocabulary.
Maybe I can juggle both somehow?
1 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:22 pm

overscore wrote:⚛️ Fizika elementarnih čestica
▏▓▓▓▓░░░░░░▕ 70 / 184

I'm debating switching my focus to Russian. It's kind of a though decision because on one side I'm finally getting somewhere with this language, and with another year or two I could really perfect it. On the other side, Serbian is pretty useless, and Russian is spoken by hundreds of millions and I'm quite interested. I find Russian phonology a bit daunting ... ы doesn't make a ton of sense to me, and movable stress is also pretty though. Overall the rest of the language is pretty intuitive: its the same grammar with tiny differences in the details and overall moderately different vocabulary.

Doesn't Serbian also have movable stress though? And pitch accent change as well.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Vedun wrote:
▏▓▓▓▓░░░░░░▕ 70 / 184

Doesn't Serbian also have movable stress though? And pitch accent change as well.

Yes it does, depending on the dialect the details vary, but unlike Russian, the vowels don't reduce to a schwa, rather the stress indicates which vowel is long in the word. It works very differently.

so the other day i mixed up:

[ˈzdorəvə] здо́рово
and
[zdɐˈrovə] здоро́во

that kind of mistake can't happen in serbo-croatian.. at most you mix up 'sam' (i am) and 'sam' (self) in terms of length ....

I don't know, I struggle with the concept. In English even though I've been immersing for years on end I still get it wrong.
Other day I said :

kanaduh

but the right way is

kanuhduh
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:11 pm

▏▓▓▓▓░░░░░░▕ 78 / 184
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:04 pm

▏▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░▕ 92 / 184

To give an idea of my level at this moment. I found the following sentence particularly challenging.
Ono što nastaje razleće se u svim pravcima, a energija se preraspodeljuje s tim – ništa od energije ne biva "protraćeno" na pokretanje statičnih komada.

I find the book interesting, and not too difficult to follow. Everything is explained in laymans terms. The machine that is being explained in the last few chapters accelerates particles (charged ions: a proton) using an alternating current that induces torque, making the particle beam spin in a circle and out the door at speeds close to that of light.
The disadvantage of that method is that particles eventually only hit static targets. In the current chapter they introduce contemporary improvements on this crude accelerator technique.

cyclobasic.gif

cyclotarget.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:35 am

So I did some work with verbs * and have formed a better understanding of some details. When following a palatal, -ovati, or -ovina, becomes -evina, -evati: ušteđevina.
I'm not entirely sure what that -ovati or -ivati is, or why there are two forms. For instance the pair napisati and pisati do not have that -ovati pattern in them. Prati, oprati. There is another way to form the pair, by infixing: stati → stajati.

Secondly, I had never paid much attention to the conditional form, but now I am more aware of it.
An example of it is the show "lose to win", this is expressed as the pun "izgubi da bi dobio" → "if you lose, then you gain/win".
On an unrelated note – I am not sure why they are drinking juice. That's the worst way to spike your insulin and fill glucose stores.

izgubi da bi dobio.gif

* https://sh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramatika_srpskohrvatskog_jezika
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 am

srpski

▏▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▕ 121 / 184

Done with chapter 6. Chapter 6 was a nightmare, the most difficult thus far, but I eventually got through it by handling sentence by sentence.
The chapter went into various types of particle detectors, from old techniques like the bubble chamber, to slightly better methods like the spark chamber. There's various vocabulary about lightning/sparks that I'm not too likely to remember, but it doesn't matter.

The chapter concludes very nicely with the introduction of ATLAS @ CERN, a state of the art system of detectors involving up to 30 countries, culminating in 2012 with the discovery of the Higgs boson. Detecting the Higgs Boson is an exceedingly rare event (≠ traženje iglu u plastu sena, baš gore).

ATLAS.jpeg

ATLAS, the apparatus described at the end of chapter 6.
Last edited by overscore on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ice Blue
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English
Learning : Russian
On hold : Croatian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9916

Postby Ice Blue » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:06 am

▏▓▓▓▓░░░░░░▕ 70 / 184

Going to talk about myself here. I chose not to juggle Croatian and Russian because I was too afraid to somehow mix them up. I have no idea just how founded that apprehension is but I plan on going back to Croatian in something like a year and then I'll put side to side lists of Croatian and Russian vocabulary and see by how much they overlap. I hate the idea of somehow ending up knowing a sort of mishmash of the two languages.

Serbian might not have as much speakers as Russian or be as useful but if you manage to get to a high level in it it will be a great accomplishment and useful enough :D

You're reading about some complex topics!
1 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 am

Ice Blue wrote:
▏▓▓▓▓░░░░░░▕ 70 / 184

Going to talk about myself here. I chose not to juggle Croatian and Russian because I was too afraid to somehow mix them up. I have no idea just how founded that apprehension is but I plan on going back to Croatian in something like a year and then I'll put side to side lists of Croatian and Russian vocabulary and see by how much they overlap. I hate the idea of somehow ending up knowing a sort of mishmash of the two languages.

Serbian might not have as much speakers as Russian or be as useful but if you manage to get to a high level in it it will be a great accomplishment and useful enough :D

You're reading about some complex topics!

I will say that much, you have some good tastes in languages :lol: :D .
My dream is to be able to follow and hold my own in long intellectual conversations in serbocroatian. The coffee culture is strong here, you typically sit down and it can last for an hour or two, speaking about whatever topics, so it's a very demanding experience for a foreigner.
But I totally agree with what you're saying, it is such a difficult language that I want to keep the focus on it. Get the water boiling is way harder if you apply the heat only every other minute. Taken as a whole, there are some 20 million speakers, it is not that small of a language.

–––

In the past few days people took to their balconies with pots and ladles to protest the recent loss of freedom, and it has worked. Next week the policijski čas (curfew hours) is due to end. :P :D :mrgreen: .
The last time this happened, I am told, was only just near the end of Milošević's regime. That says how much people in Serbia are fed up with this.

2020 – prvi balkonski rat.
3 x

overscore
Orange Belt

Postby overscore » Sat May 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Found something a bit amusing in Russian: Lenin is a mushroom.

Ленин - гриб
http://www.skeptik.net/prikol/lenin_gr.htm

Et le vidéo en Français:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7cUKDpk1do

Énorme; ça fait du bien de rire de temps en temps.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”