cutepoison's 2017 log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cutepoison
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (Advanced), French (Beginner)

cutepoison's 2017 log

Postby cutepoison » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi, everyone!

This is my first log here in the new forum! (actually I wasn't active at all in the old one, anyways...)
My language studies so far haven't been consistent, and even though I had set goals for myself in January, I kind of forgot about my languages :? :? :?
So, here's the thing, I want to 1) reach a solid A2 level in French, that is, be able to read short stories/newspaper articles without rage quit. My native native language is Portuguese, so it isn't that hard for me, it's just that I need to keep forcing myself to read things and acquire new vocab. 2) Prepare for the Cambridge CAE test. I've got all set here, just need to sit and study, although the speaking part scares me the most. 3) Finish Allaric Hall's Icelandic Course. I wanted to do that last year but I was also finishing university, so it was put aside when I was about block 10 (I went too far not to complete the course, and it was also very fun).

French

Short summary of last year's activities: I was taking a regular course at uni, and had started Saison 2. At home, I used to read articles at TV5 Monde and watch Youtube videos on any topic I chose.

Now:
I plan to complete Assimil (I'm still on lesson 10 :? )
GPdF Intermédiaire (I've been doing sporadic lessons over the past months, now I intend to finish it)

I'll also keep track of articles read, videos watched and try to write a little bit every week.

Icelandic

The goal is to finish Allaric Hall's audiocourse, which I really enjoy. I've thinking about taking Icelandic to a high level and actually work with it (I majored in Translation) but that's just a possibility.
I also have academic interest in Old Norse, so maybe I can add it to the mix, too.

English

During my time in university I could finally reach a decent level in English, and now it's time to face CAE, mainly for professional reasons.

Ancient Greek

Not so sure about it but my goal here would be to review all the content seen in the year I took Greek I and II using the Brazilian version of Reading Greek (which would be until lesson 7-D, if I recall). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take Greek III and IV because the teacher had a breakdown, left us alone to self-teach the course, and in the end of the semester she canceled the course without previous warning because there was just me and another guy handing the activities. :evil: I rage quit Greek, then, for two reasons: 1) I would have to repeat Greek II with that irresponsible teacher and 2) the end of the course was getting too heavy for me, and all the effort was already taking its toll on my health.

That's it for now, I may edit this later with update info on my goals, languages or methods.
3 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Re: cutepoison's 2017 log

Postby lavengro » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Good luck with your studies, particularly Icelandic! I followed Alaric Hall's audio Icelandic course (the improved second version) in the past and thought it was super helpful. You may already be aware, or may be uninterested, but there is a Memrise course which mirrors the Hall audio course:
https://www.memrise.com/course/556537/icelandic-for-beginners-2nd-edn-practice-phrases/
2 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: cutepoison's 2017 log

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Bem-vindo/a ao fórum, cutepoison! Looking forward to seeing more from you here. Boa sorte!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”