My road to CPE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: English: All skills. How to reach C2.

Postby Stefan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Edit: I realise in hindsight that it might have been a rhetorical question.

rfnsoares wrote:I consider myself at an advanced level at [listening and reading], but when it comes to speaking and writing my level is much much lower. Now, what should I be doing?

Like many others, you've gained a lot of passive knowledge but you need to activate it. There's a long forum thread titled Activating Passive Knowledge but the main conclusion is that you need to use the language - i.e. write a lot and write often. You could write a daily journal, short stories or even a book. Make sure to actually write though and don't spend your time fantasizing about the perfect story.

The same goes for speaking. Meet up with local people, join a community online or just speak when doing daily routines. Tabletop role-playing games could be a great excuse to speak with strangers online for free but I guess the topic can be a bit limiting. Another option would be to use Ventrilo or similar to meet people and speak about whatever comes to mind. Speaking of which; maybe this forum would benefit from a Ventrilo/Mumble server?

Try to get feedback if possible to avoid bad habits and improve even more.
4 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:45 pm

rfnsoares wrote:Well, this is a difficult question. i'm also trying to achieve a higher level in English. I usually read a lot. I read everything especially novels and newspapers. I listen a lot from youtube videos to podcasts. I consider myself at an advanced level at these two skills, but when it comes to speaking and writing my level is much much lower. When I'm reading I rarely have to search for a word in the dictionary and when I'm listening I virtually understand every single word.
What am I doing to improving my writing and speaking? Almost nothing :oops: :oops:
I occasionally book an italki session, once a month or so. Also I sometimes chat on Italki when someone writes me a message.
Now, what should I be doing? I should start a log here, but I've been postponing it. :oops:

Same here :) (or :( ?) . I can understand most of native materials (books, TV) but with speaking and writing things aren't so good. I guess that one of the reasons is that I have no practical need to speak or write in the language often enough and at a high level of proficiency. And if you do almost nothing I probably do literally nothing to improve those skills :) . I just write on this forum from time to time and it's almost all I do. I've thought about starting a log too, but I don't know what I would've written there so...
As for textbooks, well, if I want, for example, to revise grammar I rather use a reference grammar book.
3 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi there, guys!
I have registered for TOEFL ibt.
I am going to take the test on the 15 of October.
I'm going to study hard, learn the scientific American vocabulary by heart, read the magazine Scientific American every day, do practical tests from TOEFL official materials, speak with my partners a lot, retell the podcasts (Scientific American) close to the texts.
I am inspired and full of motivation.
Besides, recently I bought 9 good second-hand paper books in English and I am happy that I can read-read-read all day long.
6 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Good luck! Break a leg!
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:21 pm

ни пуха ни пера
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Ольга
Green Belt

Postby Ольга » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Thank you, guys ;)
I'll do my best.
1 x
Output Challenge 2018

Ольга
Green Belt

Postby Ольга » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 am

I have passed the TOEFL ibt. I don't know the grades yet.
I am going to take BEC Higher in May.
2 x
Output Challenge 2018

Ольга
Green Belt

Postby Ольга » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello there, guys.
I am glad to share with you my plans.
I would like to dedicate my free time to Creative Writing.
I have received score "24" for Writing Part (the TOEFL ibt) which is equal an Advanced level.
I am going to write an essay every week and send it to my friend, a native, from the UK, and share with you, guys. I want to polish my writing, to make that perfect. Probably, with enough effort and time input, I can become a good copywriter. What do you think?
I believe it is a nice idea, especially if my Speaking and Listening skills let me down.
I think it would be cool to use this resource https://www.dailypage.co to get some ideas.
I want to warn you, guys, that I don't force everybody to check my essays. If you are in a good mood, you have some free time and you are eager to help, it would be wonderful if you gave me a helping hand. If it is not, it is ok, anyway. I don't impose on anybody my opinion, my ideas, my obligations. I don't ask you to check my every piece of writing and scrupulously look for mistakes and errors. But it would be superb, if you found one or two. Thank you, anyway! ;) ;) ;)
0 x
Output Challenge 2018

LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Postby LinguaPony » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 pm

At your service.
1 x

Ольга
Green Belt

Postby Ольга » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:23 pm

My oral speech in the written form for one of my seminars at the university.
If you have some free time, point out an error or two.
Thank you in advance!!! :D

«In a nuclear war no country will come unharmed/unscathed»
Tonight I would like to present my monologue to your attention.
I am strongly convinced that no country can avoid mass destruction in a nuclear war.
It is important to remember because of several reasons. I am going to explain, why.
First of all, it is unsafe because of ecological causes. Our planet is our home in figurative and literal meanings. It is an alive organism. As for a human being, it is impossible to cut an arm/a leg and leave the person to live healthy and happy, the same is for the Earth. If any part of our planet were harmed and shredded to pieces, the other part would suffer, as if it were its sibling. People would suffer from cancer, tumors, heart attacks, hemorrhage attacks, etc. The crops would be poisoned. People would not be able to do farming, to plant vegetables and fruit, to grow livestock because earth would be poisoned by nucleus chemicals. The oceans, seas, rivers, and lakes would be poisoned as well. All the ecological system, all biological circle would be damaged and, probably, ruined.
The second reason is the following: “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”  It is a famous expression of one Chinese philosopher which illustrates my ideas best of all. I strongly believe that any war can be avoided or prevented by some wise politics and policy from the side of countries’ governments.
In this case, the high and mighty of the world would have to hire some experienced diplomats-peacemakers, who could manage any complicated, difficult situation. Some people, even some movers and shakers of the world believe that aggression is the best policy. I completely don’t agree with that. A smart politician should try several tactics, like ignoring the aggressor, or organizing peace-talks, but never carry out an attack. If political leaders would behave as selfish, sensitive children, it would lead to the end of the world.
And the third, and the last reason is that: every day, when we think of using of nuclear weapons, we come closer to the point of no return. Some actions cannot be forgiven. It is impossible to glue pieces of broken glass together. Somebody famous once said: “Trust is like glass. Once broken, it will never be the same”. I am utterly convinced, that people should think twice before saying, and think thrice before doing.
0 x
Output Challenge 2018

Return to “Language logs”