Zenman Log: Korean and German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Zenman
White Belt
Languages: I speak: English (N) and Spanish (B1)
I'm studying Japanese
I plan to study: French, German, and Italian

Zenman Log: Korean and German

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I am making this log to stay accountable to learn both Korean and German.

Some background I have been learning Korean for four to five months and German for about two weeks or so.

The plan I have Assimil books for both Korean and German thus I will be using this since other resources don't really interest me as much as this resource. I also have Glossika Mass sentence program for more practice once I'm done with these books. However as many of you may or may not know there is only one Korean book from Assimil and I don't speak French or am I able to read it so this has been my only road block with using this format. I have been going through many TTMIK Lessons I am currently on Level 2 Ep 26 and working my way through. I really don't sit down and get a deep dive into the grammar because I will be taking a course in University of Korean so hopefully that class will help with the grammar I only want to be exposed to the grammar rules and make sample sentences uses what I learned not much less. Then be able to move to the next lesson. On the other hand I have three different Assimil course for German and I try to go through a new lesson I day I tried to do two a day or more but it takes me a long time because I want to really know what the lesson is about and what it is trying to teach. So I could say I have plenty of material to go through before running out any time soon.

If anyone has any ideas how to improve my Korean in another manner please let me know I'm open to any suggestions. The current level that I'm at is that I can read Hangul to a high degree I struggle with changing that to spoken language quickly I'm still a beginner I believe I just need more exposure hopefully some of you more experienced language learners can chime in.
Last edited by Zenman on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Zenman Log: Korean and German

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Welcome to the site!

There is a thread on Korean Resources that you might find useful: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =19&t=5466
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Zenman
White Belt
I'm studying Japanese

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks zenmonkey for the assist. There seems to be a lot of resources out there.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Welcome! Just start following some of the Korean learner logs here, ask questions. There is at least a half dozen active Korean learners on the site.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm

I've also been learning korean for about five months now. I've experimented a lot in order to find the best method for me.

Maybe you could use this course to go through the TTMIK lessons using example sentences:
Every TTMIK Lesson (Levels 1-10).

Evita also has an Anki deck with the TTMIK sentences plus more grammar that is not part of the TTMIK lessons:

Korean Grammar Sentences by Evita

For now I'm using the Memrise course because I really like and enjoy the different test modes in the Android app. After I finish the course in Memrise I plan to start Evita's deck as a way to review the lessons from the Memrise's course and in order to learn more grammar sentences with topics not covered by the TTMIK lessons.

Good luck with your learning journey! ;)
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Zenman
White Belt
I'm studying Japanese

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:02 pm

AndyMeg wrote:
For now I'm using the Memrise course because I really like and enjoy the different test modes in the Android app. After I finish the course in Memrise I plan to start Evita's deck as a way to review the lessons from the Memrise's course and in order to learn more grammar sentences with topics not covered by the TTMIK lessons.

Good luck with your learning journey! ;)

I actually am using Memrise TTMIK and I'm 780 words in. I totally forgot to mention that. Thanks for your words of encouragement I hope the best for yourself too.
1 x

Zenman
White Belt
I'm studying Japanese

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:26 pm

In this first log I want to go through what I did today.

First off I did 1 Lesson for German and Korean from Assimil.
In this lesson I first off couldn't shadow because I was in a place that you couldn't speak a library so I just shadowed lightly. Also I used scriptorium after I lightly repeated the lesson several times. It went like this listen to Lesson try to shadow as best as I could then listen and read in L1 and then repeated it again but this time in L2 and was shadowing as best as I could. From here I wrote down the lesson scriptorium style in the way Professor Arguelles recommends. With the scriptorium in the first round I like to use an echoing technique to solidify what I am saying therefore not having mistakes early on. This would be like playing part of the sentence that is difficult then repeating it till I get it. For each sentence from there I have another two blank lines that I can go back to another day and do it from memory so that I can now from that point forward read and speak what I have written. It isn't exactly like Dr. Arguelles says but I do use it in the same manner just tweaked it a little to better suit me.

For Assimil review I go back to read and shadow past Lessons for example I'm currently on Lesson 8 I went back all the way to Lesson 1-6 and did what I just said to keep it fresh I noticed that each time I do this I get better each and every time. I think I'll keep the reviews to only 10 lessons. I still haven't done a comparative analysis I think I'll do that once I'm on lesson 11 and go back to lesson 1 to do the comparative analysis between L1/L2.

After the Lessons I used Anki to do some vocabulary work only working on 15-20 words a day and building it up over time. The reason why I do vocabulary is that I believe that having more exposure will allow me to understand more and will allow me to move to native content quicker I wouldn't know however this is my first attempt at this.

What I also do during restroom breaks is to pop out the phone and use Memrise for both Korean and German just twenty minutes or any dead time in the day.

If anyone has any pointer I'm open to suggestions.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Zenman wrote:Thanks for your words of encouragement I hope the best for yourself too.

Thanks! :)

Zenman wrote:The reason why I do vocabulary is that I believe that having more exposure will allow me to understand more and will allow me to move to native content quicker I wouldn't know however this is my first attempt at this.

I started using native content almost from the very beginning. You just have to graduate the activities you do with the material according to your current level.

One way I'm using native material is going through k-dramas using Viki's Learn Mode. It comes with double subs (korean-english), a pop-up dictionary (which is far from perfect but still very useful. And it also includes audio for each word), and a replay button so you can listen to the same sentence as many times as you want to. I watch a 20 minutes segment three times: 1) first with double subs (korean-english); 2) then, again with the double subs, but this time going slowly and trying to read (in my mind) each dialogue sentence while listening to it (and replaying it as many times as I need or want to). If I get curious about the meaning of a word I use the pop-up dictionary (but I'm careful because sometimes the meanings don't make sense, so I always compare the pop-up dictionary's meanings with the actual english subs). 3) I re-watch the segment, this time without any kind of subs.
[I work on this semi-intensive method everyday, but I don't necessarily go through all the three steps each day or one immediately after the other.]

I'm also using k-song lyrics to improve my reading speed and vocabulary.
0 x

Zenman
White Belt
I'm studying Japanese

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 pm

AndyMeg wrote:I started using native content almost from the very beginning. You just have to graduate the activities you do with the material according to your current level.

One way I'm using native material is going through k-dramas using Viki's Learn Mode. It comes with double subs (korean-english), a pop-up dictionary (which is far from perfect but still very useful. And it also includes audio for each word), and a replay button so you can listen to the same sentence as many times as you want to. I watch a 20 minutes segment three times: 1) first with double subs (korean-english); 2) then going slowly and trying to read (in my mind) each dialogue sentence while listening to it (and replaying it as many times as I need or want to). If I get curious about the meaning of a word I use the pop-up dictionary (but I'm careful because sometimes the meanings don't make sense, so I always compare the pop-up dictionary's meanings with the actual english subs). 3) I re-watch the segment, this time without any kind of subs. [I work on this semi-intensive method everyday, but I don't necessarily go through all the three steps each day or one immediately after the other.]

I'm also using k-song lyrics to improve my reading speed and vocabulary.

I understand what you meant however I guess I was specific I meant like Korean Native only podcasts, books, etc.

I also watch some K-dramas right now I'm watching "Oh my venus" on Viki like you mentioned it is very good content and its great to hear the Korean words spoken even though it isn't really how people speak. It does however aid in adding some vocabulary.

K-song lyrics haven't done that much been listening to BTS and MONSTA X for now. If I do look up the lyrics its only on https://colorcodedlyrics.com/ which I really like it has L1 to L2 and romanization.

What k-dramas and k-songs do you like?
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Zenman wrote:I understand what you meant however I guess I was specific I meant like Korean Native only podcasts, books, etc.

Oh, so you meant more extensive activities, right? Mainly without any kind of english help.

Zenman wrote:I also watch some K-dramas right now I'm watching "Oh my venus" on Viki like you mentioned it is very good content and its great to hear the Korean words spoken even though it isn't really how people speak. It does however aid in adding some vocabulary.

Are you using Viki's Learn Mode too, or just watching it normally with english subs?

One of my first objectives with korean is to be able to understand k-dramas without subs, so I'm using k-dramas as my main learning material for now.

Zenman wrote:K-song lyrics haven't done that much been listening to BTS and MONSTA X for now. If I do look up the lyrics its only on https://colorcodedlyrics.com/ which I really like it has L1 to L2 and romanization.

I like BTS too, but (for the time being) for my study I prefer slower songs (usually OSTs from k-dramas).
Yeah, that site is really good. I like it too! What I do is to open a word document and intercalate the hangul lyrics with the english translation. I know the translations are not exact, but they are a good enough approximation for now.

Zenman wrote:What k-dramas and k-songs do you like?

I'm currently watching Circle, Duel, The Best Hit and Father is Strange (and studying with "Rooftop prince" using Viki's Learn Mode and with "Kill Me, Heal Me").

Some of my all time favorites are "Kill Me, Heal Me", "I Can Hear Your Voice", "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince", "Blood", "Rooftop Prince", "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu", "W, Two Worlds", "Gu Family Book", , "Iljimae", "Legend: The Story of the First King's Four Gods", "Good Doctor", "Shopping King Louie", "Time between Dog and Wolf", "Can you hear my heart", "Lie to me" and "Dream High".

And for k-songs, I like BTS a lot, also BigBang, Monsta X, TVXQ/DBSK, Jung Joon Young, and Jung Seung-hwan among others. I also like k-drama OSTs a lot. For my study I'm using these songs:

- (Chanyeol & Punch) – Stay With Me - Goblin OST
- Jung Joon Young – Where Are U (W - OST)
- That Woman (Secret Garden OST)
- 운명 같은 너 (Destiny Sonata) Fated To Love You OST
- 정승환 (Jung Seung Hwan) – 바람 (Wind) Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart Ryeo OST
- 첫눈처럼 너에게 가겠다 I Will Go to You Like the First Snow (Goblin OST by Ailee)
- Eyes-Nose-Lips (Taeyang)
- 부나비 (The Tiger Moth) by Monsta X [Shopping King Louie OST]
0 x

Return to “Language logs”