Five Golden Trees

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: Five Golden Trees

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

Ser wrote:I know this is quite off topic but hopefully not too unwarranted, but every time you make a new post in this thread I get this feeling of needing to shout FIIIIIIIVE GOOOOLDEN TREEEEES with the same notes of the line "fiiiiive goooolden riiiings!" from the Twelve Days of Christmas song.

I hope all that shouting is being sent to you as good vibes, or whatever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
2 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:29 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:
Ser wrote:I know this is quite off topic but hopefully not too unwarranted, but every time you make a new post in this thread I get this feeling of needing to shout FIIIIIIIVE GOOOOLDEN TREEEEES with the same notes of the line "fiiiiive goooolden riiiings!" from the Twelve Days of Christmas song.

I hope all that shouting is being sent to you as good vibes, or whatever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I just came to post this!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:11 am

lavengro wrote:.... back in four months.

I am somewhat behind on my targets (including on my promise to sulk in a very public manner - which is still on deck but postponed for the time being).

I am currently multi-tracking like a crazed man at Italian, though Turkish has fallen off the plate entirely: accordingly, I am all in for Italian until year's end.

Much like the crew of the Enterprise, whose exploits I have started following in Italian (TNG, not TOS), over the next six months la mia missione è quella di esplorare strani, nuovi mondi, alla ricerca di nuove forme di vita e di nuove civiltà, per arrivare là dove nessuno è mai giunto prima.
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:20 pm

lavengro wrote:per arrivare là dove nessuno è mai giunto prima.

Hmm, I'm no translator, but if we can manage 'abandon hope all ye who enter here', surely they could have done a more sonorous-sounding job with this one. :)

lavengro wrote:I am still taking a teaspoon of Turkish each morning. I am loving this very interesting language.

At the risk of derailing you from your Italian groove, I'd be very interested to know what you find attractive about Turkish? It's a language I would really like to like, and would make a sensible next step after this year's Greek project.
0 x
Corrections welcome here

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Neurotip wrote:
lavengro wrote:I am still taking a teaspoon of Turkish each morning. I am loving this very interesting language.

At the risk of derailing you from your Italian groove, I'd be very interested to know what you find attractive about Turkish? It's a language I would really like to like, and would make a sensible next step after this year's Greek project.

Hi Neurotip,

For me, it is the agglutinative nature of the language, as well as the separate vowel and consonant harmony rules - made the language seem like a math challenge or logic puzzle! I only used Duolingo in my introduction to Turkish - Turkish seems to be one of Duolingo's better courses in my view (at least for the first half that I worked through), provided one uses the Tips section and works through the comments sections (good involvement of course moderators and native Turkish speakers), not sure if those are available on the app as opposed to the web version).
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:47 am

Parolles: "...And I shall lose my life for want of language;
If there be here German, or Dane, low Dutch,
Italian, or French, let him speak to me
."

First Soldier: "Boskos vauvado: I understand thee, and can speak
thy tongue
."

Even though I am experimenting with language monogamy at present, I experienced a modest amount of (I believe) both Punjabi and Hindi dialogue, and some protest signs in (I think) both Shahmukhi and Devanagari, in of all places a Shakespeare play this evening: Vancouver's Bard on the Beach production of All's Well that Ends Well, set in India in 1947. I'm not hugely against staging Shakespeare in creative contexts, but I usually just find that to be nothing more than a novelty. This staging of this play in the background of India's independence from Britain and the partition of Pakistan became of substantive significance and got political in a serious way (spitting was involved). Really interesting production, still pretty pumped about having seen it. If you find yourself in Vancouver this summer, you may find the festival of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVqqCFQm-1E

ETA: still not sure if the limited dialogue is Punajbi, Hindi or both - reviews are inconsistent between the three possibilities. Using both would have made sense given what I believe they were trying to say with the production.

Further ETA: I have now read a reference to there being both Hindi and Urdu. All added on top of this being Shakespeare's "conlang" play (the translator scene). One of Bard on the Beach's best productions in my view in recent years, even though very far from his best play.
1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 am

Vorrei parlarle del tempo ....

I am working through Netflix's "Dark" in Italian presently. It is well above my level of understanding at present, but I am so motivated to understand what is going on in this interesting series that I am really working hard at trying to make sense of the Italian audio. Frankly, I get the sense that understanding what is going on even directly in English might be challenging.

Also, I'm giving the pigs a visit, against my better judgment.
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 am

Tree choice is now settled and locked in: FIGS plus Turkish, so FIGST. Russian is going to have to get on without me.
4 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm

International Sloth Day today (October 20, 2019): https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/fun/international-sloth-day

In entirely related news, I am still working at Italian through various sources including an Intermediate Italian evening night course - unlike the previous Beginner level courses, there are only three of us students, so less opportunity to hide.

I have also been working at German but solely for the moment through Duolingo, in a manner not dissimilar to that promoted in the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLl9UyNn3XI
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:15 pm

I have recklessly signed on to IronMike’s challenge of a four week stomp through Old English, which begins today. I assumed this would be pretty simple, based on the mistaken impression that Old English is exactly identical to Modern English except with a bunch of "forsooths" and "egads" thrown in for dramatic effect. But I am now getting the sense that this impression was not entirely accurate.....

Accordingly, I will be temporarily adjusting the study routine I have been faithfully following since mid-November of a hard minimum of two hours of daily language study, currently apportioned into the following minimum daily blocks:

Italian 75 minutes (molti-tracking)
German 15 minutes (only Duolingo to this point)
Japanese 15 minutes (working through Heisig’s Remembering the Kanji plus related Memrise course) and
ASL 15 minutes (Lifeprint, Memrise and Start ASL)

I am hoping to shift 60 minutes from the current schedule to OE, once my Italian evening classes ends this week.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”