Elsa Maria's Log: Danish +

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Blue Belt
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:30 am
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : on hiatus
Latin: beginner
x 2025

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Since you are learning Latin, I wanted to ask you if you have ever used the Cambridge Latin Course?

I didn't see you mention it in your log, but I thought maybe there was a chance you knew something about it. I have no idea why, but I ended up on the AMZ page by accident and after reading a few of the reviews almost decided to start learning Latin because the book sounded really intriguing. Then I came to my senses and realized that I had enough on my plate with Italian and Polish, but for some reason this book keeps beckoning to me.
1 x
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 2 / 10

User avatar
Elsa Maria
Green Belt
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:20 am
Location: USA
Languages: English (N), Danish (intermediate). Various stages of beginner: Dutch, Latin, Spanish, and Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009
x 612

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 pm

StringerBell wrote:Since you are learning Latin, I wanted to ask you if you have ever used the Cambridge Latin Course?

I didn't see you mention it in your log, but I thought maybe there was a chance you knew something about it. I have no idea why, but I ended up on the AMZ page by accident and after reading a few of the reviews almost decided to start learning Latin because the book sounded really intriguing. Then I came to my senses and realized that I had enough on my plate with Italian and Polish, but for some reason this book keeps beckoning to me.

StringerBell, funny you should ask about the Cambridge book - that is what my online class uses! When I signed up for the class, I thought it was ironic that the class was going to use one of the very few beginner Latin books that I didn't already own. I am what I think is called a false beginner in Latin. I have been through the very beginning of Latin multiple times. I signed up for this class because I was always dropping Latin for months at a time, and never really moving forward. My class has a gentle pace, but there is constant forward momentum and I am super happy that I am taking it. And the price was great - only $50 for the entire year.

Anyway, back to the Cambridge Book. What is it that appeals to you about this particular book? How do you like to learn grammar? I like the stories in the book well enough, but I do not care for the presentation of the grammar. But I like my grammar front-loaded to the extent that that is possible. Since you are learning Polish, you are well versed in how cases work. The first book of Cambridge Latin does not introduce all of the noun cases, and I don't like that. I also dislike the way the glossary is organized.

The stories are centered around life in Pompeii. I don't know if there is an answer key available, or if you care about that. If you want to know anything specific about the book, please ask and I will try to answer!

When I was only self-studying Latin, my favorite combination was Lingua Latina with Latin for the New Millennium (LNM). The LNM series is expensive - I already had it because two of my kids used it in high school.

You can probably find lots of posts about Lingua Latina. It is great for self-study, and very fun to work with. The whole book is in Latin, even the explanations. I am using it right now as a reading supplement to my class while I am preparing for the National Latin Exam.
Last edited by Elsa Maria on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

avalon
White Belt
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: United States
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)
x 81

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby avalon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Which level of the NLE are you signed up for?
0 x

User avatar
Elsa Maria
Green Belt
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:20 am
Location: USA
Languages: English (N), Danish (intermediate). Various stages of beginner: Dutch, Latin, Spanish, and Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009
x 612

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm

avalon wrote:Which level of the NLE are you signed up for?

The Intro Level. That is the one that correlates with my class.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:30 am
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : on hiatus
Latin: beginner
x 2025

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby StringerBell » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:How do you like to learn grammar?


Not at all!

I hate studying grammar and refuse to do it as much as possible. Yet another reason studying Latin doesn't make much sense for me!

Elsa Maria wrote:Anyway, back to the Cambridge Book. What is it that appeals to you about this particular book?


I ended up on the page for this Latin book unintentionally. For some reason, the reviews I was reading about this textbook made me really excited about it, maybe because it doesn't front load a lot of grammar (the exact reason you dislike it) and seems like it approaches Latin using engaging stories rather than boring declension tables, which I have no tolerance for (not even in Polish).

I studied Latin for only a year in high school and I remember liking it, but we somehow managed to avoid studying much of the grammar. I really liked memorizing the vocabulary, because much of it was already familiar since I'd studied French for many years. That was 20+ years ago, so I don't remember anything about the class except that the characters in the textbooks all had names based on numbers that reflected their birth order (like Octavius). Apparently, that really made an impression on me.

I think the main thing that appeals to me about Latin is that since it's a dead language, there's not much need for focusing on production (speaking/writing). I like the idea of being able to read lots of interesting texts written in Latin because I really like to read, in general.
2 x
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 2 / 10

User avatar
Elsa Maria
Green Belt
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:20 am
Location: USA
Languages: English (N), Danish (intermediate). Various stages of beginner: Dutch, Latin, Spanish, and Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009
x 612

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:44 pm

StringerBell wrote:I think the main thing that appeals to me about Latin is that since it's a dead language, there's not much need for focusing on production (speaking/writing). I like the idea of being able to read lots of interesting texts written in Latin because I really like to read, in general.
Same here. I love reading, and the desire to read in other languages gives me most of my motivation.

You might like the Cambridge book! But I suggest also taking a look at Lingua Latina. It is fabulous for reading without studying grammar.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

avalon
White Belt
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: United States
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)
x 81

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby avalon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:15 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:
avalon wrote:Which level of the NLE are you signed up for?

The Intro Level. That is the one that correlates with my class.


Which Stage are you on?

CLC doesn't correlate too well with the Intro level. Is your teacher supplementing the course with materials to help you prepare for the NLE?
1 x

User avatar
Elsa Maria
Green Belt
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:20 am
Location: USA
Languages: English (N), Danish (intermediate). Various stages of beginner: Dutch, Latin, Spanish, and Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009
x 612

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:36 pm

avalon wrote:
Elsa Maria wrote:
avalon wrote:Which level of the NLE are you signed up for?

The Intro Level. That is the one that correlates with my class.


Which Stage are you on?

CLC doesn't correlate too well with the Intro level. Is your teacher supplementing the course with materials to help you prepare for the NLE?

We just finished Stage 8. I plan to work through all of the previous exams. I have already done 1999 and 2000, and I think the syllabus must have changed. There are future tense questions on these exams, but the future tense is not on the current syllabus. And I am also lucky enough to have some solid supplemental materials on hand - again, this is because two of my children took high school Latin and the NLE. I kept all of their stuff :)

That being said, I am open to suggestions for NLE prep. I want a perfect paper!
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

indeclinable
Yellow Belt
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:57 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), German (C1), Latin (C1), French (B2), Ancient Greek (B1), Italian (A2).

Want to study: Japanese & Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8803
x 135

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby indeclinable » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Elsa Maria wrote:How do you like to learn grammar?


Not at all!

I hate studying grammar and refuse to do it as much as possible. Yet another reason studying Latin doesn't make much sense for me!




Might I suggest that you take a look at the Study Group? There's material that should be very interesting to you (aka LLPSI).
1 x
Omnis lingua usu potius discitur quam praeceptis, id est audiendo, legendo, relegendo, imitationem manu et lingua temptando quam creberrime. – Iohannes Amos Comenius

avalon
White Belt
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: United States
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)
x 81

Re: An Opsimath's Log: Danish, Dutch & Latin

Postby avalon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:
avalon wrote:
Elsa Maria wrote:
avalon wrote:Which level of the NLE are you signed up for?

The Intro Level. That is the one that correlates with my class.


Which Stage are you on?

CLC doesn't correlate too well with the Intro level. Is your teacher supplementing the course with materials to help you prepare for the NLE?

We just finished Stage 8. I plan to work through all of the previous exams. I have already done 1999 and 2000, and I think the syllabus must have changed. There are future tense questions on these exams, but the future tense is not on the current syllabus. And I am also lucky enough to have some solid supplemental materials on hand - again, this is because two of my children took high school Latin and the NLE. I kept all of their stuff :)

That being said, I am open to suggestions for NLE prep. I want a perfect paper!


Yes, the syllabus changes every so often, and the tests have become easier over the years. I recommend you take the previous exams in the opposite order: from 2018 backwards.

Perfect papers are hard to come by because of the random culture, history, and mythology questions. But I created a Google Doc for my students which contains lists of every expression, motto, and abbreviation that has appeared on the Intro level over the past 18 or so years. It also contains lists relating to housing, daily life, animals, places, etc. -- again, everything on these topics that has appeared since the early days of the exam. Not sure if I still have ancillary materials for history and mythology. PM me if you're interested!
2 x


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albysky, Cèid Donn and 2 guests