An Opsimath's Log: DA, LA, NL, FR

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Re: Elsa Maria's Log: Danish +

Postby Elsa Maria » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Hej Ccaesar

Tak for dit spørgsmål! Jeg ser at dansk er dit modersmål. Normalt er jeg for genert til at skrive på dansk med danskerne. Men jeg har sat et mål om at forbedre mit skriftlig dansk i 2021!

Jeg begyndte at lære dansk da jeg flyttede til Danmark i 2011. Jeg gik til sprogskolen og mine pensumbøger var denne serie: På Vej til Dansk Trin for Trin. Jeg har ikke boet i Danmark siden 2016. Selvfølgelig fortsætter jeg med dansk!
https://www.synope.dk/paa-vej-til-dansk.htm

Faktisk har jeg stadig mange huller i det grundlæggende.

Mit første mål: at forbedre mit skriftlig dansk
Mit andet mål: at sætte de grundlæggende ting i orden. Grammatik, stavning, præpositioner, osv.
Mit tredje mål: at udvide mit aktivt ordforråd

--
Thanks for your question, Ccaesar. I see that Danish is your native language. Normally, I am too shy to write in Danish with Danes. But I have set myself a goal to improve my written Danish in 2021!

I started to learn Danish when I moved to Denmark in 2011. I went to the language school and my textbooks were from this series: På Vej til Dansk Trin for Trin. I have not lived in Denmark since 2016. Of course, I am continuing with Danish!

In fact, I still have many holes in the foundation.

My first goal: to improve my written Danish
My second goal: to put the basics in order. Grammar, spelling, prepositions, etc.
My third goal: to improve my active vocabulary
4 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Since I saw corrections are welcome, I will include them in the end of my entry:
Mange tak for dit svar, Elsa. Jeg spørger, da jeg gerne vil finde et kursus, som danner et godt grundlag for at kunne kommunikere på dansk.
Desuden har du været en del tid i Danmark, spændende! Var det i forbindelse med arbejde eller studie?

I have three corrections
1) You would use the modal verb "at kunne" with the verb "at se" thus jeg kan se at dansk er dit modersmål
2) You need an -e ending to skriftlig I think it's due to the possesive pronoun already expressing the gender of the noun.
3) Last, but not least, we would use the preposition "på" sprogskolen.

You seem to have a good foundation, please, feel welcome to ask if you need help :)
God arbejdslyst og glædelig jul!

Elsa Maria wrote:Hej Ccaesar

Tak for dit spørgsmål! Jeg ser at dansk er dit modersmål. Normalt er jeg for genert til at skrive på dansk med danskerne. Men jeg har sat et mål om at forbedre mit skriftlig dansk i 2021!

Jeg begyndte at lære dansk da jeg flyttede til Danmark i 2011. Jeg gik til sprogskolen og mine pensumbøger var denne serie: På Vej til Dansk Trin for Trin. Jeg har ikke boet i Danmark siden 2016. Selvfølgelig fortsætter jeg med dansk!

Faktisk har jeg stadig mange huller i det grundlæggende.

Mit første mål: at forbedre mit skriftlig dansk
Mit andet mål: at sætte de grundlæggende ting i orden. Grammatik, stavning, præpositioner, osv.
Mit tredje mål: at udvide mit aktivt ordforråd

--
Thanks for your question, Ccaesar. I see that Danish is your native language. Normally, I am too shy to write in Danish with Danes. But I have set myself a goal to improve my written Danish in 2021!

I started to learn Danish when I moved to Denmark in 2011. I went to the language school and my textbooks were from this series: På Vej til Dansk Trin for Trin. I have not lived in Denmark since 2016. Of course, I am continuing with Danish!

In fact, I still have many holes in the foundation.

My first goal: to improve my written Danish
My second goal: to put the basics in order. Grammar, spelling, prepositions, etc.
My third goal: to improve my active vocabulary
4 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:35 pm

Tak for rettelserne Ccaesar. De er meget hjælpsom!
(Jeg er ikke helt sikker på at “rettelserne” er det perfekte ord.)

Thanks for the corrections, Ccaesar. They are very helpful!
( I am not totally sure that “rettelserne” is the perfect word.)

I also considered “redigeringerne” but that seemed more applicable to editing Google Docs or Wikipedia. I take forever to write!
1 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:52 am

Det var så lidt :)
Det hedder rettelserne ;) Jeg kommer lige med endnu en rettelse. Når et adjektiv/tillægsord bøjes/deklineres i flertal/pluralis, så får det endelsen "-e"
Derfor ville det hedde: De er meget hjælpsomme!
Konsonantfordoblingen kan jeg dog ikke forklare!

You are welcome :)
It is called corrections ;) I will just add one more. When an adjective is declinated in the plural it gets the final -e
However I can't explain the doubled consonant, it must have to do with something phonetic, I presume.
0 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Ccaesar, you are very kind to take the time to write out my corrections.

But, ugh, I get so mad at myself. I know the -e rules for adjectives, but I make the mistakes anyway. Speaking is so much easier! I can mumble my endings and don't have to know the nogen/noget/nogle rules :)

In all seriousness, I need to be a better proofreader. I should carefully check every noun and adjective ending and every verb tense before I hit send/reply/post. I get caught up in worrying about word choice and word order, and forget to proofread the basics.

Well, this just proves that I need to work on my writing. Publicly making mistakes stings in the moment, but the sting is what keeps me from repeating them.
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Don't worry about that at all, sbagliano si impara, you learn by making mistakes. So it's better to make as many as possibile and learn from them. You are very welcome :)
I have found that spending a day or two of making active re-call of a grammatical concept or conjugation helps me internalize it :)
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 pm

It's been a week of figuring out what I wanted to do with languages this year. I signed up for the 365 Day Challenge for Danish so that I don't neglect my only intermediate level language. Today was one of those days that I was really glad I did Danish in the morning, because now my mind is far too distracted to concentrate.

I have the Atracker PRO app, and I have it all set up the way I want it. Now I need to figure out how to upload photos to the forum from my phone so I can post screenshots of my pretty data :)

Since the first of the year:
Danish
4h36min

Activities:
Reading a novel (Den som blinker er bange for døden by Knud Romer). 3+ hours
https://www.saxo.com/dk/den-som-blinker ... 8711400876

Listening to speeches without subtitles (the Queen's NYE speech and the PM's NY Day)
Writing messages to friends without looking things up

Dutch
2h41min

Activities:
A weekly conversation session, reading a children's book and working through my grammar course videos (LearnDutch.org)

Portuguese
1h3min

Activities:
A combination of app work (Practice Portuguese) and reading a grammar book (Routledge)

Latin
0h57min
Textbook stuff. My class started up again this week.

Norwegian
0h26min
A very little of this and that
6 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Gosh, I find so much inspiration on this forum.

Can I aim for 1000 hours this year like PM?
Maybe. Probably not. But I'm going to try. If I do, it will be 1000 hours spread over multiple languages.

Can I do better with updates? I really admire that Radioclare updates her log daily. She has such an impressive, consistent log.
I think I can improve my updates in a meaningful way, and also just overall be a more active forum participant. Starting with reading more logs.

How many languages can I manage this year? I get so inspired by the work I see people doing here.
I actually have a lot of free time, and a reasonable amount of discipline. The limit is more that I have other things that I like to do/learn, and they compete with languages. For one thing, I am always on a see-saw of languages vs. reading in English.
--
Here is the plan of the moment:

I'll do my 30 minutes of Danish daily. That is just a minimum.
I'll keep up with my Latin class, but not spend much (if any) additional time on Latin.

I'm going to put myself on a loose six week schedule, lined up with the 6WC cycle. I really like the idea of planning in six week chunks.
I think the next one starts 01 Feb. I already know I am going to do European Portuguese for my 6WC language.

One thing I would like to do by 01 Feb is finish the first level of learndutch.org. This should not be a problem as I have completed 40/50 videos and most of the exercises.
--
This is what I have done for Danish since my last update, as best as I can reconstruct it:

17 Jan
Two exercise sets from the workbook Dansk er ikke så svært. I did OK.
Da eller når: 18/20 correct
Om eller hvis: 17/20 correct
I understand the ones I got wrong. They were due to missing the cues of the other words in the sentence rather than not understanding the rules.

16 Jan
A monthly virtual meeting with Danish friends. I am the only non-native speaker in the group. This is both the hardest and most rewarding thing that I do with Danish.

15 Jan
Vocab study.

14 Jan
Vocab study.

13 Jan
Grammar. I am going to do an active read through Routledge's Danish: Comprehensive Grammar. It is 700+ pages, so I'll be at that for some time :)

08 Jan through 12 Jan
Most of my time was spent on finishing a novel and starting a new one. I'll talk about my reading another day.

I usually at least browse Danish news every day. I'd like to do more work with the news this year.
10 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:11 am

Is your Latin class online? If so, where? And what materials are used?
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:24 pm

lingua wrote:Is your Latin class online? If so, where? And what materials are used?

Lingua, my class is an online class but it is only for those of us who are 50 years old or older :)
If anyone wants the link or more info, please send me a message. The pace is gentle, but the students are serious.

As for the materials, we use a textbook with the awful name Latin for Americans by Ullman and Henderson. I think the "for Americans" part merely refers to the listing order of the cases - nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative. But I might be wrong about that. I am predisposed to dislike anything that looks like a standard high school textbook, but I actually do like the text well enough. There is no answer key so it doesn't suit self-study very well.

We also have two supplementary texts:
Latin Via Ovid by Norma Goldman, which I love.
Cambridge Latin Course, which I despise.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”