Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Morgana lär sig svenska?!

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Well spotted - both hon and orm would be notated with [ʊ] in IPA - at least that's how I interpret the sound in Standard Swedish (and my own idiolect). Speakers of other dialects/with other accents my have different opinions.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

Sure, [ɛt:] it is (I just added the colon for doubled consonant sound).
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:09 am

Morgana wrote:Oh! I've been reading some people noticing Clozemaster's different, and that is the case for me as well - it seemed to occur around when they updated the dashboard. Before, doing the 100 most common, or 500 most common, whatever, would limit the reviews+new sentences to only sentences from that group, but now it's from anywhere. I guess it's taking reviews from wherever if they're due. Too bad, I liked having things separated.

I haven't noticed that, although I tend to clear my reviews first and then go onto new sentences - I prefer having things separated like that. Otherwise, I don't know how many new sentences I would have to do before I clear my reviews.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 am

Morgana wrote:I had a couple of small (to me they felt big) breakthroughs, the most exciting was realizing the [ø] and [œ] are just [e] and [ɛ] respectively, but with protruded lip-rounding :o I can't emphasize how earth-shattering this was to realize :lol:

That was also an Ah-ha moment for me, though not exactly earth-shattering :roll: :P You may like this pic from Wikipedia > IPA > Vowels, yellow highlight mine:

IPA VOWELS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:02 am

Morgana wrote:While I bide my time, contemplating the value of certain things, it occurred to me that I know the verb in Swedish for "to do carpentry" (snickra). I think it was somewhere in the 20s in terms of lesson numbers from Linguaphone. No, it has not come up in the course since. No, I have not encountered it "in the wild" so to speak. But like a good student I put every single piece of vocab from every lesson into Anki.

That, incidentally, is one of the words I looked up while reading the first story in Rent Spel by Tove Jansson, and I'm pretty sure it comes up in Sommarboken as well. I had a pretty good idea of what it meant, but I've been looking up absolutely everything I'm not completely sure of.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:13 am

That's fair enough. I let ANKI drop all the time, pick it back up on a whim and then drop it soon after. It's not a necessary tool, I don't think, and Clozemaster seems to do a better job at scratching the SRS itch while activating vocabulary and teaching new words.

But that Linguaphone vocabulary is really something!
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 am

Morgana wrote:
Elenia wrote:That's fair enough. I let ANKI drop all the time, pick it back up on a whim and then drop it soon after. It's not a necessary tool, I don't think, and Clozemaster seems to do a better job at scratching the SRS itch while activating vocabulary and teaching new words.

But that Linguaphone vocabulary is really something!

Yeah, Clozemaster is way more enjoyable imo. With Anki, did/do you make your own decks, or use pre-made?

And as to Linguaphone... It's, uh, interesting... One lesson taught me jäklar. Another taught me fruntimmer (used pejoratively). I also learned banta, which I did not put into Anki, but it has stuck with me nevertheless :roll:

I've never heard either 'fruntimmer' or 'banta', although 'jäkla' I have heard a lot in the singular, mostly as a 'jävla' substitute. Kind of reminds me of 'feck' in that respect. Only one sound changed, guys, we know what you really mean!

A bit of both, with regards to the anki decks. I think the first Swedish decks I downloaded were the vocab from FSI and the vocab from 'Avancera Ord'. I lost both when my laptop died, unfortunately, and one of them is no longer available. I now have a mix of FSI words, a few plant words with pictures, as I don't know much about plant names in English either, and sentences from my reading with interesting grammar or constructions. For Finnish, I only have a premade word deck with sounds and pictures. I deleted my German deck and restarted with a handful of sentences from my reading, and for French I believe I just have exercises which prompt me to put in the articles for words, as I found that focussed study on word genders helped my French as a whole in an exam situation. According to the ANKI stats, I last used it two months ago, and have used it for 82 days in the last year. My decks are very small and I don't add many new words per day, so when I do go back to it I never have ridiculous piles of reps to go through.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:26 am

Good luck with your plan :) I am sure you will make progress with it. I know that starting up is hard, so I'll give you a little Tove Jansson quote to help smooth the way.

Tove Jansson wrote:Jag kan dyka, sade Sophia. Vet du hur det är när man dyker?
Hennes farmor svarade: Visst jag vet. Man släpper allting och tar sats och bara dyker...
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:25 am

Morgana wrote:I caved and subscribed to Netflix last month, and accidentally stumbled upon Bron/Broen last night. Have to watch it with the English subs, but I'm doing my best to make it useful by reading the subs before the audio and match them in my head. I am not very used to the different accents - pretty sure there's some "standard" Swedish, some Skåne, and obviously there's Danish. Standard Swedish sounds so clear, even if I don't know all the words. Danish sounds Danish. The Skåne (if I'm referring to that correctly) sounds like it couldn't make up its mind between Danish or Swedish. It's peculiar :P

I had to do some accent training with Skånska. I'd say it's definitely the hardest Swedish dialect I've come across :lol: it's also the area where I now live! I told my boyfriend about the fact that most Swedish textbooks say that there are no diphthongs in Swedish and he replied with a very shocked 'What? But my dialect is like 95% diphthongs!'

Now I get Skånska*. I still don't get Danish, though!

*For the most part!
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Morgana wrote:The Skåne (if I'm referring to that correctly) sounds like it couldn't make up its mind between Danish or Swedish. It's peculiar :P

A clue - if you're watching Bron and you hear Swedish with a throaty R (Danish R, French R?), then it's skånska. There is more to skånska than the R (and not every Scanian has it either), but it's a rough guideline - for Bron, at least.

By the way, it is said that skånska is the Swedish accent which Danes find most difficult to understand. I don't know whether it's true or not, but I find it hard to believe.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”