Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Morgana lär sig svenska ?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 am

Good to see you starting a log! Team Nordic is fairly inactive these days, but if you have question or just want to share something there please do. I'll be following your log :D lycka till!
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Yay! You have a blog that I can visit. :D You'll have to let me know which courses you use, and which ones you like best (I'm currently being tempted by Ancient Greek and Swedish ;) ) Have fun!
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 am

Morgana wrote:This week has been fantastic in terms of language learning and being productive in general. Making good progress through my courses, integrating my own version of shadowing into the routine with the lessons... I've even been making a significant dent into a massive to do list that I've had going for a while. I don't know what it is that's getting me working, but I'm going with it while it lasts!

Something I suspect playing a role in my increased productivity is that if I have a day where I'm feeling too tense or excited or ambitious about how much work I will be getting done, I procrastinate on purpose. Yeah. You'd think that'd be the opposite of a good idea. But I've been trying it out this week and it seems to be cutting my anxiety off before it can build into something unstoppable. All I can figure is, doing the opposite of productive/ambitious things gets me to chill out, which puts the tension back to zero and I can work without feeling pressure to workworkwork.

I've been considering L-R for making the jump into reading Swedish native materials. I was having so much trouble thinking of a book though! I could just pick a book or series written in English and get the translation, but what fun is there in that. But I don't know Swedish books! Except! Yes! I do! The Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. Might be cliché, might be too mainstream, but I read through the English translations in a week several years ago and have watched the Swedish films a dozen times, so I know I'll enjoy it. Still have to work out the whole parallel text thing, because I am too low effort to possibly make my own :lol: It may be a modified L-R experiment. Oh and I still have to actually get the books/audiobooks. Several hurdles, haha. Not planning to start until July/August anyway, so I have time to figure out all the details.

Blaurebell uses procrastination to fantastic effect. Pomodoro/timeboxing is another technique the involves stopping working to increase productivity. There, you have a set amount of time during which you work and, when the time runs out, you stop working no matter what.

As for L-R: depending on how much time you have to consecrate to the activity you might want to consider storytel.se. It's a subscription audiobook service, like audible. They offer a 14 day free trial but it does switch to a paid membership automatically, so you'll have to remember to cancel if you don't want to continue your membership. The first book is apparently 18h56 long so you probably won't really need to read the whole series to benefit from L-R then. If you do want to read the whole series or continue listening after the storytel tral, a search for 'Män som hatar kvinnor ljudbok' throws up a recording available on spotify - I assume the others will follow on.

For reference, the cheapest I found the first audiobook in the Millennium series going for was 125kr. The storytel subscription is 169kr - so it is worth it, but only if you'll use it.

Hope that helps!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:03 am

Morgana wrote:You can read on storytel too, right? So that would take care of two birds.

You can! If you have a tablet I think that would be the best device to work with. I use my phone, but it's a small screen so not quite as useful as I'd like.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: Morgana lär sig svenska?!

Postby Stefan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 am

Morgana wrote:I would also welcome anyone recommending any Swedish-language music they like - I don't listen to metal, but other than that I'm mostly flexible :)

Håkan Hellström is extremely popular. Here's a live performance in HD.

0 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Morgana wrote:Music post!
First of all, välkommen till forumet! I think this is a great idea :D Listening to Swedish pop music is what got me interested in learning Swedish. Here are two of my favorites:
Säkert! - ISARNA

Annika Norlin is probably my favorite Swedish singer

Familjen - Huvudet i sanden

He sings with a Scanian accent, which I really like.

I could post many more songs, but then this page might take forever to load so I'll stop now.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 am

I'd just like to say y'all really messed with my productivity today...thanks for all the videos, and keep at it Morgana!
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Morgana wrote:In future, with my next language(s), I definitely won't do the same approach that I've done for Swedish. So I try to forgive myself for the errors I make in planning and studying here, because I'm sort of just figuring out what works and what's a waste of time. It's both frustrating (to make the errors and see the wasted time), but also liberating (to realize it's ok to take the scenic route while I work out the finer details).

This is a very important realization. There's a certain art to language learning, and no one figures out what works best for them the first time around. Getting it this early, and not getting frustrated because things don't work out (or work as well for you as for others) is going to do wonders for your ability to explore Swedish (and, it seems, other languages in the future, I caught that polyglot plan :lol: ).
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Morgana wrote:I've been trying out shadowing with the lesson audio for several lessons now. I haven't been doing it blind, because whenever I try that it basically starts off with me starting to speak at least 2-3 words after the recording, then stumbling, then basically sitting there in stunned silence for several moments while my brain tries to figure out what is happening. Am I meant to just keep trying with the blind shadowing?
(...)
Can it be called "blind" shadowing anymore if one is familiar with the recording? Is the blind part just about not reading along with it, or is it also not being familiar?)
(...)
But does everyone do it exactly as described? (Especially the blind part??)

I shadowed long before I read about the method, and it was indeed "blind shadowing" without a script (or having memorized anything). Of course, if you use the same content over a long time, some of it is bound to stick, and therefore you could say that it's "memorized". I followed the Arguelles step-by-step approach a few years ago, with Assimil courses (French, German and Spanish), but can't really say that it's something you must do. In an old HTLAL thread I read recently, Professor Arguelles himself said: "I shadowed Assimil's older Russisch ohne Muehe for years". If he at all did it step-by-step back then, it was probably blindly first (as step #1) and then, long after having assimilated the content, semi-blindly. Imagine shadowing random news on the radio for a while (even in your native language), then with a script. Repeat it with the script for a couple of days, a week or more. Then - even if you can't recite it from memory, I wouldn't be surprised if you can shadow it quite accurately. Of course, using the same content over and over is better if it's "useful" (for prosody/grammar/vocabulary etc.) and/or you actually like the content. If both aspects are missing, do something else.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 am

Morgana wrote:Thank you for this detailed response. When you were shadowing Assimils, did you ever shadow the same lesson more than once/day? Anyway, I'm reconsidering my approach after what you've said. I'm going to try this out with something in English. I think convincing myself it's possible in my L1 will encourage me to keep trying with Swedish. Thanks again!

It has always depended on my mood and approach. For Assimil, I've shadowed a CD from beginning to end, a single lesson over and over (and next one the day after), half a dozen lessons randomly, and according to the step-by-step approach.

Many years ago I never left my home without my mp3 player. I planned my walks after the content, or vice versa, and this means that I sometimes shadowed up to one hour blindly, but content I was familiar with. To this day, I still have Assimil Russian (4 CDs equal a couple of hours), the Chinese material from my university course (probably another two hours there), a Russian audio book, another in French, an hour of Portuguese content... :)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”