Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: Morgana lär sig svenska?!

Postby Stefan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I might be way off but this is what I've picked up through the years.

Skånska didn't evolve from "regular" Danish as much as it evolved from Old East Norse just like Swedish and Danish. Some of our oldest written manuscripts were classified as Old Swedish before being reclassified as Skånska and already back in 1684, a priest named Johannes Fabrin claimed that spoken Skånska sounded a lot more Swedish than Danish. Mathias Strandberg (researcher at Uppsala University) claims that Skånska has existed as a dialect between Danish and Swedish as long as we know. The guttural r came from French and the pitch accent came from German. I don't know if it has been verified but one speculation is that the pitch accent came through The Hanseatic League which is why they have a similar one in West Norwegian.

During the 1600-1700s it became more bloody with mass executions, Sweden using conscription to put Scanians on the front line in Baltics, giving away farms to Swedes and Karl XI even gave an order (fortunately cancelled) to deport all Scanians to the Baltics. The population was reduced with 40% (according to Svenska dialektmysterier) and the church did their best to force people to use Swedish while Danish litteratur were forbidden. During the 1800s the school became more standardized, in 1935 the curriculum told teachers to eradicate dialects and they were forbidden/discouraged in public service until recently. Martin Persson wrote a study titled The Phonology of Dialect Erosion with the main point being that dialects have changed a lot during the last 70 years with a lot of the vocabulary being replaced by Standard Swedish. With the vocabulary disappearing, we're left with influences from French and German which might explain why Danes (excluding Bornholm) often claim to have more trouble understanding Skånska than Standard Swedish.

As I mentioned, this is what I remember reading and watching through the years so some of it might be poor research or speculation and I would love to be corrected. My point is that Skånska shouldn't be viewed just as "Danes trying to speak Swedish" even though it often is portrayed as such.

5 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Morgana lär sig svenska?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am

Sounds exhausting, well done for trucking through! Even though it's not how you wanted to be studying, you're keeping the fire burning and it'll be easier to get back to study on your terms because of it. Good luck with the move!
0 x

rtickner
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (0)

Re: Morgana’s Swedish log

Postby rtickner » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:11 am

Enjoyed reading through your log. I learned a little Swedish a long time ago using Pimsleur and FSI, and always loved listening to Kent, great band if you're into Indie music. Beautifully melodic language.

I've seen you reference DuoLingo and "gold" a few times - having never used it before, I'd be interested to hear how you personally use it and whether you'd use it at an intermediate level?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”