Poland, Italy, and then back In New York after years abroad

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
drp9341
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English (US)
C1/C2: Spanish, Italian
B2+: Portuguese
B2: French, Polish
A1: Russian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

Re: Drp9341's Polish (and Italian, French, Spanish & Portuguese!) Log!

Postby drp9341 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 am

Wow, it's been a while since I posted.

LONG, but GOOD post ahead ;)

So POLISH AND FRENCH updates!

My Polish has gotten MUCH better over the last month. Honestly, I didn't really study that much. When I went back to New York for Christmas, I bought the 3 levels of Français Authentique. It was a lot of money, but I really like the guy and his style of teaching, and I'm working on creating a similar language course for English, so I wanted to work through his course to give myself some inspiration.

While doing his course, I tried to not be a "know-it-all," and actually do what he says, including "relaxing" while I study languages and not stressing out about making sure to learn things. I think it's working.

So, when I went back to Poland, I went on a 4 day trip for New Years in the mountains. There was 8 of us, (I was the only foreigner) and the only one who could say a full sentence in English, was my girlfriend. So for 4 days I spoke almost entirely in Polish. There was obviously LOTS of drinking, (as one can expect from a group of people in there twenties in Poland.) After the 4 hour car ride, where I drank in the back seat with 2 Polish guys who I'm pretty good friends with, I felt pretty damn fluent, (and drunk.) I talked for 4 hours straight, no problems. The next 3 nights, and days, consisted of skiing, vodka, and tons of Polish practice. On our way back from the trip, we slept at my girlfriends parent's house before heading back north, up to Warsaw. Her parents, (who I get along with extremely well,) told me, "wow, you're Polish keeps getting better." Which made me happy, since I was wondering whether my Polish really got better, or if it was the alcohol that made it seem better.

In 2018, not one person has tried speaking English to me, (except my students, of course,) and it's pretty awesome. I even went to the bank and had to resolve some debit card issues, and worked through the problem with the banking staff for about 20 minutes, entirely in Polish. I know they all speak English quite fluently, as the last time I was there months ago they helped me in English. However this time they didn't speak English at all, which was quite nice, considering they know I'm from the states.

I went to my Polish class Wednesday and we have a substitute teacher for the time being, however the other students don't like her teaching style. So Wednesday, I was in class alone, which was exactly what I was hoping for. The teacher is from Białystok, and people from there have quite a different accent, so I was happy to put my listening comprehension to the test. The teacher told me that in her 10 years teaching Polish she has never met a student as impressive as me, and she wants to give me a "language predisposition exam," because she used to give those exams before she retired from her job as a school teacher. The owner of the school came in to the class room and asked me questions, AGAIN, about learning Polish etc. It's become quite frustrating. I've told them exactly what I've done, and they ask me to repeat it now for the third time, then tell me, (for the millionth time,) how I have a gift, and they wish they had a gift etc. Maybe if they did exactly what I did, or studied for as many hours a day as I did, they could learn English even faster than I learned Polish. It's a weird feeling, I'm happy that they're so shocked an amazed because it means I'm making great progress, but on the other hand, it's discouraging, because it makes me feel like Polish must be a super hard language, which means that continuing to make progress is going to require huge sacrifices like I've been making the last 6 1/2+ months.

However, I do think that when talking certain basic subjects, my Polish seems MUCH better than it actually is. I spent a TON of time in the beginning shadowing, and studying the phonology, so my accent is great. I also have a good conceptual grasp of the case system, (I know when to use each case,) but I often mess up the declensions themselves if I'm talking about things outside of my "Polish-comfort zone." I also try to speak the same way Polish men my age speak, (without using Kurva every 3 words,) I spent a lot of time hanging out with my girlfriend's brother and cousin, with whom I coincidentally get along with very well, and whenever they talk, I try to really pay attention to the way they speak, and copy it. I think all of these factors combined, means that when I talk about subjects I'm comfortable with, I sound MUCH better than I actually am.

FRENCH
So, I know it says B2 on my profile, but I think my French is more like "strong B1." I went to Prague last weekend with another that we're friends with, and the boyfriend is French, and his girlfriend is a Polish girl who is a real Francophile; she speaks French near natively, the French guy even attested to this fact saying, "her French is better than mine, she beat me in French scrabble."

My girlfriend doesn't speak French, so I didn't speak French all weekend, but I spoke it as much as I could. I realized that French is a lot like English. Words aren't spelled how their sound, and there's lots of vocabulary they don't share with other languages. Regardless, I could understand 90% of what they were saying to each other, which is a good sign. Also, I had no problems conversing and making jokes in French. Occasionally I didn't know, oddly enough, simple words and had to use English, but it's all good 8-) .

I've been studying French about 30-60minutes per day for the last 3 weeks, and my French is improving very very quickly. Also, since French shares some similar characteristics to English, it's helping me write a better English course, since I'm now more cognizant of some of the difficulties unique to English.

Portuguese
Okay, I know I said I was going to keep this to only 2 languages, but I must say that even if I don't want Portuguese, Portuguese wants me. When I was home in New York for Christmas, I spoke a LOT of Portuguese, even though I didn't plan it to be that way. My mother is friends with some Brazilians who come over often, and always speak to me in Portuguese, I'm like a circus attraction for them, and my best friends wife is from Brazil. My extended family has basically adopted this friend, for reasons I won't go into on this forum, so I do things like drive his wife to doctors appointments etc. I don't mind, since she is a good friend of mine as well, (I introduced the two of them,) but I speak to her in Portuguese if no one else is around, even though her English is almost indistinguishable from that of a native, (she was in America for the first time in her life, 2 years ago.) I've actually witnessed her explaining to my friend, (100% American,) what certain words or expressions mean, (which is hilarious, and is always used as a bit of subject matter for future ball-breaking sessions.)

Plus, I started working online again, and online I must speak Portuguese, since most of my students are Brazilian. Also, my two most knowledgeable friends in terms of online marketing and such are Brazilian, so I've been speaking to them while preparing this English course. I'm trying to get a location independent income source, but I really want to make a perfect course, so it's taking a while.

Thats about all, thanks for listening, peace out :D
13 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

Guys, I’ve hit the intermediate plateau. Can anyone link me any good information to help with this, relating specifically to slavic languages? I’m going to write a more detailed post later, going into more depth, but I wanted to post this as soon as possible so that maybe I’ll have already gotten some advice before I go more into depth :)

My main problems: vocabulary (so many verbs!) and understanding complicated texts, (newspapers, for example.) children’s books and dialogue heavy texts are fine, (grammatically speaking,) as long as I have a dictionary.

Dziękuję bardzo :)
1 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Okay, so here I am planning on going into more detail, (as promised!)

I have definitely hit the intermediate plateau with Polish. I am learning more and more everyday, but sometimes the things I don't know completely shock me. I didn't know how to say "grow" or "monkey" or "shy" today.

The cases are not really an issue for me anymore, the only time I make errors is when I don't know which case goes with which preposition, for example według (according to) + noun in the dopełniacz (genitive). Or due to a lack knowledge, such as not knowing how to decline a noun a certain way.

My main issue is not knowing what to do with my time. I spend about 30 minutes a day reading, and I have 3 hours a week of Polish class.

I have 2 students who are at an A2 level of English and they frequently need me to explain things in Polish, and I often have to translate what they want to say into English. So I look up any unknown words in my phone, and save the tab, turning that word into a sentence on Anki later.

I do Anki maybe 15 minutes a day now, I've just gotten bored of it after 6 months.

This post is kind of a complaint, but I don't know what to do basically. I feel like I could be progressing much faster, however I am actually super busy with work, teaching online and in person, and a big personal problem I've always had is my inability to "switch gears." I can do one activity the whole day, but I can't spend an hour on Polish, an hour on school work, an hour preparing lessons, an hour grading tests, an hour spending time with my girlfriend etc.

I'm kind of at a loss, and I hope that this phase passes. Anyone else who has ever learned a slavic language, do you have any advice?

Thanks!
Danny
0 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Hey everyone! It's been three weeks since my last post. I was feeling pretty frustrated, however I decided to step up my game the last 3 weeks, and it's working :D

New Stuff I've been doing:
I started watching vlogs in Polish, Krzystof Gonciarz for some reason has Polish subtitles on all of his vlogs, I'm not sure why, but it's awesome.

I also started watching the Polish equivalent of "dirty jobs" and it has Polish subtitles also.

I really like the Polish subtitles. Depending on the context, there is sometimes a mountain of new vocabulary, especially in the show about the different jobs. When I don't know a word I don't have to spend 5 minutes guessing the spelling trying to find the word in a dictionary, it's great.

I put all of these into Anki, and have my girlfriend record it. I do Anki for about 30-45 minutes in the afternoon and 30-45 minutes in the evening. I do real slow, and I look up all the verbs and nouns that are new to me and check out their perfective/imperfective equivalents, and also their conjugations. With the nouns, I look at their declensions. It really helps.

I downloaded Luca Lampariello's book, which is only available in Polish, "Jak uczyć się Języków" and it's a real interesting read. I'm practicing my Polish, while reading about how to learn Polish better - which is a subject I'm very interested in.

I also started listening to a lot of Polish hip-hop, even though I doubt it really helps that much.

Old Stuff I'm sticking with
I'm still speaking Polish during my Polish classes, that are 3 hours a week, Mondays and Wednesdays, and I usually have an iTalki lesson on Fridays. I also talk to my girlfriend a lot in Polish, and she always corrects me, which is really helpful.

I'm still taking my words that I have to look up on my phone with my A2 English students and putting them into Anki.

Results
I know it's only been 3 weeks, but I feel like my Polish has improved so much. It feels like the only issue I have is "lack of words." Basically if I don't understand something, it's never because of grammar, weird sentence structure, or people speaking too fast, it's just a lack of words.

I've never had this combination of strengths/weakness while learning any other language, and I think it's because of immersion. Basically, If I magically had B2-C1 level vocabulary, my Polish would be fantastic. The only thing holding me back is vocabulary. Even though when I think about where I was at this point last year, it's absolutely incredible how much polish I've fit into my head. I've only been seriously studying it for 8 months, (not counting the month in Italy, and month in New York,) and I've learned so much. I need to keep up this pace, and I think I can be C1 in another 12 months. Maybe sooner if I speed up my pace a little bit :)
5 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm

I forgot to mention, I'm doing duolingo Japanese for about 15 minutes a day.

When I graduated University, May 2016, I was at an A2-B1 level in Japanese. I went crazy studying 6+ hours a day for about 6 months, and got to a pretty comfortable level in a short time.

After college, my life changed completely, and I stopped studying Japanese. I didn't hear it, study it, speak it nothing until about 5 days ago. I was looking at a picture printed onto a box I have in my apartment of a street in Tokyo, and I realized I couldn't read hiragana or katakana anymore. I was shocked. I tried to think of how to say things, and my mind went blank. I could only remember, "watashi wa" and (strangely enough) how to use "ga" "wa" and "no" to connect sentences, but I basically forgot everything else.

The next day I checked duolingo on my phone, and realized there's a duolingo Japanese now. So I started doing it, and it's coming back. I don't know if I'll ever learn Japanese, but it's a shame that I literally dedicated my entire existence to learning Japanese for roughly 6 months, and two years later, I only know "konichiwa" and "sayonara."

Duolingo is helping me get it back though, even right now as I write this, I'm thinking about Japanese, and it's starting to come back.

I've never in my life had a language totally disappear like that. In 2009 I went for a 5 day trip to Croatia and studied Croatian for 3 weeks before I went. I only learned tourist phrases. However I can still remember most of the simple Croatian phrases I learned. Even Quechua, which I casually studied for 3 months while living in Quechua speaking village in Peru, I haven't forgotten completely. I can't understand how I completely forgot Japanese like that.

However, I would like to get my Japanese back to where it was. It was good enough that I could be a tourist in Japan and not have to worry about people not speaking English. It wasn't good enough to socialize comofortably or anything, but I made huge strides in terms of how much information I stuffed into my head in those 6 months. If I would have put that much effort into learning an "easy language" from scratch (spent 6 months dedicated to learning Dutch or Swedish, let's say) I would have probably reached B2.

I want to somehow keep my Japanese at A2-B1, so that if I ever decide to learn it in the future, I won't have to do what I did in 2016 all over again. I wouldn't be able to study that intensively now that I'm not in school and I have to work and focus on other things in life.

It would be cool to speak Japanese though :D maybe one day in the future!
2 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:11 pm

drp9341 wrote:Guys, I’ve hit the intermediate plateau. Can anyone link me any good information to help with this, relating specifically to slavic languages? I’m going to write a more detailed post later, going into more depth, but I wanted to post this as soon as possible so that maybe I’ll have already gotten some advice before I go more into depth :)

My main problems: vocabulary (so many verbs!) and understanding complicated texts, (newspapers, for example.) children’s books and dialogue heavy texts are fine, (grammatically speaking,) as long as I have a dictionary.

Dziękuję bardzo :)

Here are a few things that I've learned since I've been sitting on the intermediate plateau in Polish (and Slovak):

1) Adjust your expectations so that you don't beat yourself up. Unless you have a CEFR exam lined up soon to focus your effort with textbooks explicitly geared to some level, accept that from now on you'll be just adding to your knowledge at an uneven rate as the authentic material and situations that you encounter vary widely in linguistic complexity. The days of grabbing "low-hanging fruit" as the cliché has it are over. Sometimes you'll pick up everything at native-like speed, other times you'll struggle to understand or react just like a beginner. If you keep plugging away, you'll get "good enough" before you know it. You also have a big advantage over a lot of learners in the form of a helpful Polish girlfriend. The instant give-and-take even when you're doing chores together (e.g. shopping, cleaning the apartment/house) has its place too. It's a lot more active than listening to dialogues stored on your phone with the risk of the speech just becoming vague background noise.

2) The glib advice to increase your vocabulary and improve your reading comprehension is just to read more. If you have some money to burn, you could buy Universitas' textbooks meant for B2 and higher that focus on reading ability. These are Kto czyta - nie błądzi. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (B2, C1), Na łamach prasy, cz. I. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (C2), Na łamach prasy, cz. II. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (C2) and Per aspera ad astra. Podręcznik do nauki języka polskiego. Ćwiczenia rozwijające sprawność czytania (C1). If you feel that you're truly at B1 then using these would books be kind of like a sink-or-swim approach since you know that you'd be learning new words and ways to express or describe something.

Do you remember my suggestions about reading those short stories which I mentioned earlier in your log? There's also a nice collection of stories from the 20th century (i.e. in fairly "modern" Polish) meant for intermediate students costing about $25 US on Amazon, Fifteen Modern Polish Short Stories: An Annotated Reader and a Glossary by Schenker if the gamut of Mikołajek (i.e. Polish translation of the French children's stories Le Petit Nicolas) is too easy/kiddy-like for you.

3) The general advice that I've picked up for broadening vocabulary is not so much to use the target language, but think more about ways to use content that interests you. In my case with German, I've started to read a book about a German fighter squadron in WWII as I'm interested in military aviation. It's tough on one hand with all of the new words and structures typical of such prose (lots of passive voice and technical terms), but the nitty-gritty of combat ("Oberleutnant so-and-so of the staff flight crash-landed after his plane took damage from a bomber that he had shot down...") holds my interest and makes me want to keep going no matter how slow my progress is. You probably also know that I enjoy reading comic strips (but not necessarily graphic novels) in my target languages, and include strips in my log postings. I get a small dose of colloquial language, but I can sometimes learn about cultural references or the mindset of native speakers (or rather their sense of humour as sometimes seen in wordplay). In addition to translations to Polish of ones in English such as Real Life, Garfield and Peanuts, I used to have links to a few Polish ones such as qmandorka, Tori Komix and Gustaw Biurowy. Unfortunately the only one that isn't a dead link is Głosy w mojej głowie. There's also the NSFW Frivoli. Maybe your girlfriend can find some good but short native comic strips apart from the sometimes crude jokes or memes on demotywatory.pl.

Another way to increase your vocabulary on your own would be to listen to .mp3s at Real Polish. There are over 300 for intermediate learners for listening/free downloading. The podcasts' subjects vary and so you're bound to hear (and read in the transcripts) words in a lot of contexts.

4) Lastly, and if you don't mind the awkwardness of it, get a monolingual dictionary of Polish which has example sentences for most entries or even better a guide to using Polish synonyms (not necessarily a thesaurus which just gives synonyms or near-equivalents without usage notes or hints about register/formality). You can leaf through the monolingual dictionary much like you would any reference book, and get example sentences of headwords in addition to descriptions of them in Polish (kind of like playing Taboo where you need to describe something without using certain words/descriptors). I remember William Camden mentioning on the forum that he likes using mini bilingual dictionaries for reading on the bus or similar since they act rather like a compact set of flashcards providing instant but simple translations.

When I mean a guide to Polish synonyms, I'm thinking of something like this guide for Spanish (which you may know about already) or this handbook for German which I'm currently reading like a normal book. I don't know of anything comparable in Polish (maybe your girlfriend does) in hard copy but this online dictionary of synonyms is rather what I have in mind in that it classifies synonyms by nuance, register or allegorical sense (e.g. for kot you can see that an affectionate synonym is kicia among others while another option is myszołap if you want to emphasize a cat's stereotypical abilities in hunting mice. Yet another nugget is that plain ol' kot in a military context actually refers to a raw recruit). If this online dictionary had example sentences to go with the different nuances listed, it'd be even better.
4 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Thank you Chung!

Speaking of CEFR exams, I might take the B2 exam in June. Even if I can't take it because of scheduling conflicts this summer, I'm going to try to take it in the Fall. I already talked with my Polish school, and this one teacher who specializes in preparing students for the CEFR exams is going to tutor me, one or two hours a week, (I have to see my schedule,) in April and May to prepare. It's quite common here to take the CEFR, as Poland requires a B1 certificate for citizenship, and I think permanent residence, (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm going to definitely buy that "fifteen modern Polish short stories book" and I'm going to read it after I'm done with the two Polish books I have now. I think slavic mythology is really interesting.

Thank you for all the resources, this is incredible! I'll definitely be implementing the comic strip and podcasts very soon. (and also the synonym dictionary!)
0 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 pm

So I always want to write a "daily log" but by the time I'm done studying, I really don't want to write about studying, :D. So today, I'm going to write what I'm going to do before I do it. So here's my plan for today:

1. create cards for Anki from 301 Polish Verbs
I want to go through this book and work on the verbs. Like I've said before, vocabulary is the biggest problem for me. Within vocabulary, however, verbs are where I'm weakest. Not in the sense that I don't know as many verbs as adjectives or nouns, it's just that I often find I understand the meaning of everything in a sentence, except the verb, especially when listening. So I'm going to hit the books.

2. Study Anki.
I want to start studying Anki everyday. I have 2 decks. I have a deck that's all recorded, and I have a deck that's not recorded. I don't study the "Polish: to be recorded" deck. It's a waiting area until my girlfriend has time to record.
My main deck, (the one that has all the words recorded) has around 4,000 cards. Almost half of them are mature, and I set up my review schedule as follows: 20 new cards a day, and 40 reviews a day. If anyone has any input, I'm open to suggestions. I'm not sure if that's too many new cards, and not enough review.

3. Watch Przemek Saleta: Najcięższe Zadania (the Polish version of Dirty Jobs) and make Anki for vocabulary
This vocabulary is actually useful for me. When I work with my girlfriend's brothers and father, I'm lost in terms of vocabulary. It's a shame, because I worked construction, (mainly plumbing,) since I was 12 years old, and enjoy talking about that sort of stuff.

4. If I have time, read 30 minutes of Luca Lampariello's book Jak Uczyć Się Języków
I don't turn these into Anki cards, I just highlight and look up the word on my kindle, and the re-read stuff I've already read to reinforce the language. Since the book is about language learning, the vocabulary isn't too difficult for me. It's good because it greatly interests me, because I can actually practice reading a full length book, allowing me to get used to different structures I won't find elsewhere, and because maybe I can glean some nugget of knowledge that will allow me to progress with my Polish more quickly

5. Duolingo Japanese for 10 minutes.
Gotta keep up my streak.

If this plan is effective, I'll repeat similar variations of it throughout the week adjusting for time / energy constraints.
2 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Everything actually went as planned today :)

I didn't get as far in the verb book as I would have liked, (making it into Anki flashcards,) but I think this is going to be a multi-week process.

Tomorrow, I have the day to myself as well, so my plan is as follows:

1. Do Anki.
I'm going to take it kind of slow, I want to look at declension tables for nouns, and conjugation tables and aspect pairs for any verbs I don't feel that comfortable with.

2. Read Luca's book for at least 30 minutes.
This is just to relax, and switch my brain into thinking with "Polish logic."

3. Write a full page worth of Polish on Microsoft word, and put it on iTalki & Lang-8 to get corrected.
I'll probably write about working as a language teacher here in Poland. It's not too simple, not too complicated, and a topic that will inevitably come up in conversation sooner or later.

4. TAKE THE PRACTICE B2 EXAM.
I still haven't truly sat down and taken it, I skimmed it over, but tomorrow I want to actually give myself a practice exam. I'm going to be all warmed up, (having studied for probably about 2.5 hours beforehand,) so I'm curious to see how it goes. I'm curious which part I'll find the hardest. Like I said, my biggest issue is vocabulary. Tomorrow when I take the practice exam, I'm going to see how my other skills stack up.

I'll report back tomorrow if everything goes as planned. ;) 8-)
2 x

drp9341
Orange Belt

Postby drp9341 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 am

Hey guys!

POLISH
I completed the practice B2 exam about a week and a half ago, I did the listening, reading comprehension, and grammatical correctness portions of it. I don't have the test with me this moment, but I got between 55-65% on those sections. Enough to pass the exam :D :D :D :D :D HOWEVER, I really do NOT feel like I'm B2. There's still so many words that come up in discussions that I know I've heard many times before that I do not know. Still, it's vocabulary holding me back.

I did the practice exam in test like circumstances, with a timer, only using the bathroom when I had a break in between sections, (I gave myself a 15 minute break in between each section, I'm not sure if that's what actually happens.)

I've been continuing with reading and daily Anki as my "bread and butter" whenever I have more time I do other stuff, like look up words I find on videos, or write something and post it on iTalki, etc.

My Polish is definitely improving. I've been really working hard on pronunciation the past week. I've been recording myself on Anki, and comparing to my girlfriend's recording. I may have mentioned it before, but she is a professional singer here in Poland, went to acting school, and even worked a short stint doing dubbing for children's shows. The only problem is her "hyper-correctness." One of my friends here, who is a Polyglot also, told me that she says nasal vowel sounds excessively when she records my cards. When she speaks she speaks like everyone else, but when she records my Anki cards, she pronounces everything perfectly how it's written. It's great for practicing sibilants and consonant clusters, but I had to spend some time learning about 'hiper-poprawność' (Basically, the final ę is pronounced e, not ę.)

I actually haven't had any communication problems, at all, in at least a few weeks, so I'm pretty happy. I'm making progress with my current routine, and hopefully I won't have to change too much up too soon.

I'm actually considering the possibility of getting speech therapy if I get to about a C1 level. People tell me that about 50% of the time when I speak I don't have a foreign accent, but that I "sound like I have a speech impediment." This is because I'm not sure how to connect the sounds. For example, a phrase as simple as 'ta lina jest za cienka' is very difficult for me to pronounce if I wan't to pronounce all the phonemes as closely as possible to how they should be in Polish. When I speak to people, if I am not repeating a phrase that I shadowed 100times and had my girlfriend verify that I'm saying "normally" then I let myself speak naturally. It's better to have a light American accent than to sound like a Pole with a speech impediment. I've been told though, by a few people, that sometimes when I speak I say 5 or 6 words in a row indistinguishably from a pole.

I'm torn with pronunciation. On the one hand, I could learn a lot faster if I spent less time on pronunciation, and more on vocabulary and listening. On the other hand, I am in Polish for the long game. I will have time to improve the other stuff in the future, but if my pronunciation is shakey, then there's going to be a lot of "re-learning" in the future. Also, motivation towards pronunciation is fleeting. I've noticed that the more advanced I get in a language the less I care about pronunciation. Now, at my intermediate stage, I really care about pronunciation for some reason. I know however that if I get to C1-C2 I'm going to stop caring as much, and I'll be stuck with an accent the rest of my life. (I know how my own motivation works.)

It's an interesting situation I'm in. Thankfully, I have someplace to talk about it :)

Regardless, Polish is going smoothly. It's the intermediate stage, so even though I "learn" a lot everyday, I really see the fruits of my labor very often. It's kind of strange, but I'm not getting lazy, and I recently have "fallen in love again" with Polish, and really enjoy studying and speaking it.

FRENCH

I've been doing an hour a week of iTalki tutoring. My French is "fluent" but I make a lot of mistakes. The problem is, I can speak it fluently as long as I don't think. If I start to think about how to say something my mind fills with Polish or Italian, and I can't think of the French word. However, if I speak the word will naturally come out when needed. I've been doing Français Authentique about 30 minutes 3x a week, and I think it's working. The course is really good, but I can't give an honest review because I'm not doing it the way it's intended.

That's about all, Peace out
1 x

Return to “Language logs”