girlyrobot joins the forum

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
girlyrobot
Languages: Danish (N), English (fluent), Dutch (C1), Hungarian (beginner focus language), Spanish, German, Esperanto, French, Turkish (all either mostly forgotten or beginner level).

girlyrobot joins the forum

Postby girlyrobot » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:09 am

Last week, I was at the polyglot gathering in Bratislava and I ran into a bunch of people from this forum: Elenia, daveprine, zenmonkey, Brun_Ugle and rdearman among others. The gathering was an inspiring event for me but I was also the victim of some strong group pressure to join this forum ;) So now, I've given in.

I currently have 2 focus languages: Dutch and Hungarian. After the gathering, I'm having a hard time not giving in to starting to learn K'iche and Nootka which are two endangered languages that were introduced to me at the gathering. Super interesting languages. :twisted:

Anyway, here's my first language log.

Dutch
One and a half year ago, I moved to the Netherlands and took up Dutch. It's an important language for me, since I'm planning to stay in these low lands. My level very quickly rose and I'm now approximately at a C1+ level. This week, I finished a 17-week course (Advanced Dutch C1/C2). But I don't at all feel like I'm done learning and I'm considering how to get further. My goal is to end on a level that is as good as my English. Which means that I don't think about it and it feels natural to use. I met some people on the course who I want to start a small study group with so we can meet up and practice speaking. Maybe with a native speaking tutor. I plan on setting this up within the next 2 weeks. Furthermore, I'm looking for interesting YouTube channels in Dutch that I can follow. That's not super easy though (any suggestions would be appreciated). So I guess I'll look up some TV series instead and start watching (the problem being that I already watch way too many TV series - but all in English). I steadily increase the amount of time I speak Dutch with with my Dutch boyfriend, so I'm progressing slowly. But I think I need much more exposure.

Hungarian
I'm subscribing to the YouTube channel NativLang, which is awesome btw, and 5 months ago, he made a video on Hungarian, which peaked my interest enough to start learning. I've mostly been doing Duolingo (I'm approximately two thirds through the tree) but I've also watched and listened to a few things and done a little bit of Hungarian101. Next Monday, I'm starting a language exchange with a native Hungarian who wants to learn Danish. I'm really looking forward to that! I've never done an online language exchange before, so I'm excited to see how it'll turn out.

I don't know if I'll keep up my log, but at least I made a first effort :)
13 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: girlyrobot joins the forum

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:38 am

Welcome!!! Have we met at the gathering? :D
edit: yes now i'm sure we did!
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:43 am

Hurray for peer pressure!!! :lol:
Welcome to the forum. We'll soon have you learning about 20 languages you have no use for.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am

You should consider learning Czech, Finnish and Klingon. :)
6 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Welcome! It's good to see you here! Hopefully you become as hooked as I am - otherwise I will just have to keep you updated with all of our ridiculous plans ;)

By the way, if you're wondering what languages you should pick up over the next few years, they are Polish, Swahili and Czech. Just by the way ;)
0 x

girlyrobot
Languages: Danish (N), English (fluent), Dutch (C1), Hungarian (beginner focus language), Spanish, German, Esperanto, French, Turkish (all either mostly forgotten or beginner level).

Postby girlyrobot » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Serpent wrote:Welcome!!! Have we met at the gathering? :D
edit: yes now i'm sure we did!

Yes, we did :)

Brun Ugle wrote:Hurray for peer pressure!!! :lol:
Welcome to the forum. We'll soon have you learning about 20 languages you have no use for.

Oh no, I already regret joining ;) I'm already making my list way to long on my own!

rdearman wrote:You should consider learning Czech, Finnish and Klingon. :)

I am considering Klingon. And Finnish should be a low hanging fruit after Hungarian ;) But Czech is just not on my list.

Elenia wrote:Welcome! It's good to see you here! Hopefully you become as hooked as I am - otherwise I will just have to keep you updated with all of our ridiculous plans ;)

Yeah, looking forward to the bike tour!

Elenia wrote:By the way, if you're wondering what languages you should pick up over the next few years, they are Polish, Swahili and Czech. Just by the way ;)

Again, not wondering. But I could consider Swahili! Not Polish and Czech. I might do Russian to get a Slavic language.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 pm

But Czech has Star Trek books!!!
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:16 pm

girlyrobot wrote:Furthermore, I'm looking for interesting YouTube channels in Dutch that I can follow.

Welcome to the Forum. It is great to have more members who are learning and improving their Dutch.

There is a lot of very interesting and very good Dutch material available on the Internet, including back issues of series and documentaries. And there is a lot on YouTube. I find the best way on YouTube is to search on a Dutch word such as "geschiedenis" or something from the name of a movie or series.

Here are some links you may find useful:

A few pages of things I watch and read

Amazing travel documentaries to really unique places in the world

Six part series of a Dutch guy exploring the Yangtze river in China

Travel series through Africa

House-hunting series all over the world

Another travel series

Historical archives of the Netherlands

Very extensive series of 15 minute presentations from Universiteit van Nederland

If you want some chat time in a very non-threatening environment (I'm about B2 in Dutch), that might be interesting.
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:20 pm

girlyrobot wrote:
Elenia wrote:Welcome! It's good to see you here! Hopefully you become as hooked as I am - otherwise I will just have to keep you updated with all of our ridiculous plans ;)

Yeah, looking forward to the bike tour!

Ah, well you're on your own on that one! I'll just wait around at the finish line eating cake and lounging ;)
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Welcome to the forum and glad you made it. Nice user name!
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language logs”