Spanish-language cinema: a log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (native)
Spanish (learning)

Re: Spanish-language cinema: a log

Postby kunsttyv » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:36 pm

It's been a while since I updated this log. The summer came in the way, in a good way, and I didn't find the time to watch many movies or to hang around the forum. In general I'm really bad at keeping track of my activities and I usually have no idea how much time I spend on various language learning endeavors. Anyhow this summer I didn't study much. But now the fall will be here in a blink and it's time to get back into the routine, curl up and plow through some of the hidden treasures that are out there waiting for me to consume them. But first a little recap of the things I watched since last time.

Series: I finished the first season of Las chicas del cable (mediocre and cliched Netflix production), finished Verano azul (very good actually, it grew on me a lot, and "Algo se muere en el alma" had me in tears) and finished the first three seasons of El internado (well..). I'm also in the process of watching Vis a vis (Spanish prison series), Corazón salvaje (Mexican telenovela with an attitude), Allí abajo (serie vasca-andaluza) and the recent Estoy vivo. In general the series are pretty bad compared to the movies, but if I can endure them it feels like they help my listening comprehension a decent amount.

And the movies -->

El hombre de las mil caras (Alberto Rodríguez, 2016): I watched this at an open cinema screening in Sevilla this summer, cine de verano, and it was a fun experience. What shocked me the most was that the significant amount of French dialogue in the movie came without any subtitles. And people didn't bat an eye! I don't know any French and was of course completely lost, but los sevillanos seemed perfectly comfortable with it and didn't seem to mind at all. How cool! As for the movie itself it was nothing special. Standard political thriller about state level corruption with the usual storyline twists. A bit confusing at times.

Tríptico (José Val del Omar, 1955-1961): Three visually powerful experimental movies about cities, religion, art and so on and so on. I had looked forward to watching them at the Reina Sofía in Madrid, but when we arrived there, the room was closed off. Big disappointment! Although the rest of the museum was amazing, I even went back there a second time a couple of days later. Anyway, I decided to just watch the Tríptico on my phone instead. I saw Aguaespejo granadino on the train, Fuego en Castilla at a bar in Malasaña and Acariño galaico at my friend's house. Also, on the plane back to Norway, I watched Vibración de Granada which wasn't as good as the other three.

El castillo de la pureza (Arturo Ripstein, 1973): This Mexican movie is about a man who keeps his wife and kids locked in and homeschooled at his mansion in the city, so that they will not get corrupted by the evil world outside. The family produce and sell rat poison for a living and the father repeatedly refers to the people he considers non-pure as rats, or pest. Of course the patriarch isn't as pure as he wants to make everyone believe, something that we viewers will learn, we who are allowed to accompany him on his daily excursions outside of the house. The movie is gritty and dark and I suppose a pretty good allegory of a repressive dictatorship. Recommended!

La caza (Carlos Saura, 1966): I swear that Saura stole the premise for this movie from the Norwegian movie Jakten (La caza, The Hunt) from 1959. Some friends on a trip to hunt rabbits in the bush, and there will be blood. Only difference is that in this movie the civil war, and the following Franco dictatorship, is a concrete reference point for everything that happens.

And now for some of the recommendations Ogrim gave me in this thread -->

Lucía y el sexo (Julio Médem, 2001): Disliked it. It seemed to me speculative and the visuals were quite kitsch. At least I learned many ways to say fuck in Spanish.

Amanece, que no es poco (José Luis Cuerda, 1988): Fun! And extremely stupid. I think it's by far the hardest movie I've watched in Spanish, just because of the shear number of characters, cultural references and jokes I didn't understand, along with the very fast paced dialogues. The credits listed more than 140 actors and it felt like most of them had lines, not kidding. For anyone who wants to put their Spanish to the test, check this one out!

By the way, I'm considering starting to do these write-ups in Spanish. I think it would be great practice.
4 x

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 pm

I went on a Luis Buñuel spree:

Las Hurdes (1933), Susana (1951), Subida al cielo (1952), El bruto (1953), Él (1953), Simón del desierto (1965)

Ok, Las Hurdes was made for a French audience and had French narration, but I include it here since it's a documentary about one of the most isolated and impoverished regions of Spain (at the time). It's a frightening movie! A few years after he made the movie the civil war hit, along with the following dictatorship, and Buñuel had to flee Europe and didn't make a move for the next fifteen years. The rest of the movies on this list are from his Mexican period. Él is an excellent move about the destructive powers of jealousy and paranoia in a marriage. Simón del desierto is as wild and blasphemous as it gets with Buñuel (that's pretty wild and blasphemous). Simón is a messiah like character who lives on the top of a column in the middle of the desert. In an early scene the people are gathered beneath Simón so that he can perform his miracles. A man who's missing both arms miraculously gets them grown back out, and the first thing he does is to punish his son with a smack.

Buñuel made 18 movies in Spanish (and 12 in French and 2 in English). I've yet to see some of his most celebrated ones.
2 x

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Hable con ella (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)

Esta puede ser la película española más famosa, al menos en el extranjero, y yo no la había visto nunca hasta ayer. ¡Ya era hora! ¿Cómo describirla? Pues, como en muchas otras películas suyas, el argumento es una locura. No creo que Almodóvar tenga la intención de crear un mundo perfectamente creíble y coherente, sino crear situaciones en las que sus personajes tienen que enfrentarse a nuevas circunstancias difíciles y tomar decisiones morales. Dentro de su propia realidad, creo que podemos decir que sus películas son verosímiles, incluyendo esta.

Dos mujeres se encuentran en coma en un hospital en Madrid. Una de ellas (una bailarina) ha tenido un accidente de tráfico mientras la otra ha tenido una cogida (es matadora). Las perspectivas de las dos son muy malas y los doctores dicen que probablemente no vayan a salir nunca de sus comas. La bailarina está siendo cuidada por un enfermero que al principio nos parece simpático, pero, cuando sabemos de su relación pasada con ella, nos va resultando cada vez más extraño y hasta peligroso. Parece tener algo como una relación romántica con su paciente, pero no es fácil de decir si simplemente solo se trata de compasión. Al novio de la matadora, un argentino, le sugiere que hable con su novia, porque aunque no parezca que lo oiga, el enfermero le asegura que sí puede. Sin embargo, el argentino no es capaz de verla como nada más de lo que en su imposible situación realmente es: un vegetal en una cama de hospital. Y se va de allí.

Más tarde, desde el extranjero, el argentino se entera de que su novia ha muerto y además que el enfermero está encarcelado por haber violado a su paciente la bailarina y haberla dejado embarazada en el acto. Regresa a Madrid, va a la cárcel para ver a su viejo conocido y, poco a poco, un vínculo crece entre los dos. No está muy claro por qué el argentino siente compasión por su amigo que había cometido un crimen tan despreciable. Puede que se sienta culpable por haber dejado a su novia morir y dado que su amigo nunca había perdido la fe en su amante y le había tratado con una forma u otra de humanidad, sin importar qué asquerosa y immoral era, el argentino quizás quiera tratar de entender todo lo sucedido a la luz de esto.

El maduro Almodóvar no teme los melodramas y se atreve hacerlos sin todo el humor que usaba antes. Hable con ella es una de sus más melodramáticas, algo que está bien conmigo, de vez en cuando, pero no con demasiada frecuencia, ¡a lo sumo una vez a la semana!
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Cantinflas es un ícono en el mundo hispanohablante, especialmente en Latino América. ¿Has visto alguna de sus películas?

El humor en las películas de Cantinflas se basa mucho en lo que dice el personaje y en cómo lo dice (y tiene muchas referencias culturales), así que se necesita un nivel un poco avanzado del idioma para disfrutarlo. Sin embargo, tras leer tu última entrada en este hilo y ver lo bien que escribes en español, se me ha ocurrido que tal vez podrías probar con alguna de sus películas y ver qué tal te parecen.

Una de mis películas favoritas de Cantinflas es "Ahí está el detalle".
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:37 pm

¡Gracias por la recomendación! No he visto ninguna de sus películas, pero ahora sin duda lo haré. He anotado en mi lista Ahí está el detalle (por cierto el director Juan Bustillo Oro era el guionista del gracioso Compadre Mendoza) y varias de Miguel M. Delgado. Te diré qué tal me parecen cuando las vea.
1 x

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Lo mejor que puedo hacer estos días oscuros es quedar con amigos, cocinar juntos, hablar, tomar cervezas y ver películas. Hoy mi amigo y yo vimos un documental japonés sumamente interesante llamado ゆきゆきて、神軍 // The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On. Podría hablar de él durante horas pero no lo voy a hacer ahora porque quiero escribir sobre las películas clásicas de México que he visto últimamente.

Enamorada (Emilio Fernández, 1946)
Otra vez la revolución mexicana funciona como escenario para este cuento de amor y valor en tiempos de guerra. El melodrama es exagerado y el argumento es estereotípico: un general revolucionario se enamora de una joven del pueblo que está ocupando. Al principio su comportamiento le va pareciendo a ella muy repugnante. Pero claro, cuando luego se da cuenta de sus buenas cualidades, empieza a tener sentimientos por ese bruto también. Me dicen que esta película es una de las más clásicas del cine mexicano. Es cursi digo yo. Pero la escena final es buena, cuando ella lo sigue a la guerra y nosotros vemos a los dos en silueta. Él montado a caballo y ella de pie atrás.

Ensayo de un crimen (Luis Buñuel, 1955)
Esto es lo más Buñuel que puede ser. Nada puede ser nunca más Buñuel que esto. Fíjate, un hombre rico llamado Archibaldo de la Cruz, ¡vaya nombre!, tiene aspiraciones para ser un famoso asesino en serie. Solo hay un problema. Todas sus víctimas se mueren antes de que pobre Archi consiga matarlas. Es una película graciosa y desde luego bastante subestimada dentro de la filmografía de Buñuel. Miroslava, que interpretaba el papel de la personaje principal, se murió el mismo año que estrenó la película, lamentablemente. Y aquella vez tampoco a manos de Archibaldo de la Cruz, supongo.

El espejo de la bruja (Chano Urueta, 1962)
No suelo ver películas de horror, pero cuando en raras ocasiones lo hago, ¿por qué no ver una muy loca y gótica donde brujas, matrimonios fracasados, cirugía plástica, profanaciones de tumbas, fuerzas tenebrosas, ciencias naturales, música, celos y violencia todos son bien mezclados? Resulta un cóctel que me gusta.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”