Still overly ambitious, now 20 years old. The Saga Continues

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Re: Still overly ambitious, now 20 years old. The Saga continues

Postby LinguaPony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 am

Atinkoriko wrote: - я начинаю читать свободно. I wonder if I got that spelling wrong, sigh.

You got it right! :)
1 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:16 am

Brilliant :D
0 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian

Postby Atinkoriko » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:05 pm

I forgot to mention that I’ve also been doing the German Without Toil Active wave (sporadically and despite not having done the Passive wave for it), just for some writing practice I guess.
0 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Postby Atinkoriko » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 am

10th hour of La Reina del Sur and I’m absolutely hooked.
0 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Postby Atinkoriko » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.enga ... uite-apps/

‘MIT's app only needs a second to teach you a new language
It's like Duolingo that can make you more productive.
Mariella Moon Mariella Moon, 04.18.17
You know the seconds and minutes you waste waiting for the elevator to arrive, for a friend to reply to an IM or for a website to load? A team of MIT CSAIL researchers believe you can put them to good use, so they created a series of apps called the WaitSuite that makes the most of those idle moments by helping you learn a new language. The tools can test your vocabulary without whisking you away to another app. For instance, if you're chatting with a friend, a flash card asking you about a word in the language you're learning will pop up within the IM itself. If you're waiting for a website to load, the card will appear within the browser.‘

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough. Another day, another hare brained ‘streamlined, fluency with little effort and as little time as possible’ app.
2 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Postby Atinkoriko » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Still breezing through the active wave of German without Toil (note, no prior contact as all I did was the newer German with Ease) and thoroughly enjoying translation. Did 10 lessons yesterday and stopped only because I was getting bored. At this pace I should get through the entire course pretty quickly, just a little fun as I get to read the course for the jokes as well as strengthen active skills.

What’s mindblowing is that this 1950’s course actually has a few lessons dedicated to learning to write and read German Gothic Script. Slowclap.gif, why this was axed from German with Ease is what I’ll never understand. Sigh, stop watering down the courses Assimil.

In any case I’m truly considering doing the French without Toil 1940 course even though it may seem ‘too easy’ at this stage in the case of passive listening and reading skills for me. I may take a more systematic approach to it this time, using the same Shadowing+ Scriptorium + later Active wave that has proved successful for me, imo, with Spanish and which I’m employing with Russian right now. If anything it’ll be worth it just to read the jokes.

However it’s best I finish both the Scriptorium for Spanish (finished the passive wave) as well as the 1950’s Active Wave for German. That should take about 2 weeks since I’m moving at a fast pace.

In any case let’s see where I stand in the next 14 days or so.

Also I revisited the Business French course for the first time (apparently a B2 preparatory course) after completing the 150 hour film Super Challenge and listened to some random lessons far into the course. Surprise, they speak normally now and sometimes a bit slow. Verdict? Super Challenges rock.

Haven’t had time to watch any of La Reina Del Sur but I’ll surely get back on that half SC as soon as possible.
0 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Postby Atinkoriko » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Another Spanish B1 reader finished, it seems I’ll have to try a few B2 readers now for some variety. Also for some reason, despite having a law essay to write, I just spent the last few hours practicing German Gothic cursive. Sigh

Edit: just realised the next thing after B1 readers should be novels and I don’t think I’m prepared to make that jump yet, especially in terms of vocabulary as well as lexis and structure. If anything, completing a good grammar workbook should be the first thing on my list after completing Scriptorium and the active wave (as I’ve already finished the passive wave).

Unfortunately I don’t have the time for very intensive activities so I must stick to La Reina del Sur and the B1 readers for the meantime. I realise this isn’t living up to my log’s name of ‘overly ambitious’ but it’ll have to do. So many things to do, such little time. In any case, I think I’ve exceeded my language learning expectations for this year in general and I’m a little pleased with myself.
1 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:51 am

Atinkoriko wrote:Another Spanish B1 reader finished, it seems I’ll have to try a few B2 readers now for some variety. Also for some reason, despite having a law essay to write, I just spent the last few hours practicing German Gothic cursive. Sigh

Edit: just realised the next thing after B1 readers should be novels and I don’t think I’m prepared to make that jump yet, especially in terms of vocabulary as well as lexis and structure. If anything, completing a good grammar workbook should be the first thing on my list after completing Scriptorium and the active wave (as I’ve already finished the passive wave).

Unfortunately I don’t have the time for very intensive activities so I must stick to La Reina del Sur and the B1 readers for the meantime. I realise this isn’t living up to my log’s name of ‘overly ambitious’ but it’ll have to do. So many things to do, such little time. In any case, I think I’ve exceeded my language learning expectations for this year in general and I’m a little pleased with myself.

The same problem, so many things, not enough time. But, actually, sometimes I think that procrastination is the root of all evil. :)
1 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Postby Atinkoriko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Still obsessively collecting language courses I may never need. Spent time downloading the Cortina courses from the FSI site (thanks to the CEO making it available for us as well as our own wonderful forum members) and uploading them to Google Drive. I’d hate to find out one day that they’d disappeared from the site.

Also found copies of German Without Toil and French Without Toil on EBay and I’ve ordered them. I recently came across a library copy of Madrigal’s Key to Russian, fascinating little book that. Almost inspired by Michel Thomas or is it vice versa? It’s a damned shame that many of these excellent language courses from small publishing houses are now out of print and mostly forgotten.
With the downward trend in the quality of language courses ie Et tu, Assimil?etc it almost feels like I have a duty to hunt down these resources and keep a personal store of them, whether digitally or (preferably) hardcopy.

Fast forward about 20 odd years into the future and Assimil French without Toil would be a century old. 100 years old, incredible.

All’s quiet on the language front. French rests dormant, I’m still proceeding with the German without Toil Active wave albeit at a slower pace due to time and the fact that I’m waiting for the hardcopy to arrive. Staring at PDFs gets old very quickly for me. I’ve stalled on the Russian Passive wave on purpose, as the pace at which new vocab is introduced is too quick. Hence I’ve returned to Memrise to pre load on the first 100 verbs, and then perhaps about 500 more common words on top of what I already know. I also checked out the Princeton Russian course and it’s actually not bad. I like the clean bare bones approach to it. I’ll take a closer look, especially at the cases. Although I’m slowly working through the New Penguin Russian course grammar wise, it doesn’t hurt to see things from another perspective. Slow progress but at least I’m enjoying Russian. It could be much more stressful but I’m not letting it get to that. You’re only as stressed as you allow yourself to be, or something like that.

With Spanish, I’ve been slacking on the Scriptorium and binge watching El Ministerio del Tiempo instead. Didn’t even sleep yesterday night, so entertaining :). 5 hours closer to the 75 hour half SC goal so progress I guess. I have no idea when I’ll get round to starting Perfectionnement Espagnol (or Using Spanish, though I’ve heard some complaints about the quality of the translation), but not sweating it. The B1 readers are boring me greatly, easy to read but just not holding my interest. I’ll complete the half SC for movies first before proceeding to the use of parallel texts. This means that I’ll have to take out some time to create one out of La Sombra Del Viento. After finishing a few such novels, I’ll take another crack at Cervantes, thus staying faithful to the ‘Overly ambitious’ theme of this log.
1 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
Actively learning

Postby Atinkoriko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Sometimes I run into so much absolutely asinine advice on Reddit’s language learning sub forum that I have to stop and shake my head for a few seconds.

In this case it’s a newbie’s question about pre loading vocab ie the 1000 most common words etc which quickly turned into an organised chanting of the myth that words must absolutely, 100 percent of the time; under pain of death; come rain come shine; for better and for worse, be learnt in CONTEXT

No deviations from that rule, no siree, positively carved in stone. Sigh

That's not going to work, because words don't exist outside of context. Yes, looking at more common words before looking at less common words is going to be better use of your time, but memorizing is not how you go about learning a language.

Such a confident assertion. Sigh

It’s hard to ignore this and move on because it’s something I care about. When I first started out not too long ago, I had to tiptoe through minefields of disinformation- one of them being that exact subreddit, others being charlatan sites selling language learning snake oil, well meaning but disinformed friends and family who ‘know this one guy who can speak languages’ etc. Thank God I found the old HTLAL site or I’m sure the past year would have been far less productive that it has been now.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”