Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Postby Cavesa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Theodisce wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I've been really lazy lately. A few episodes of series in Spanish and a tiny bit of German are all. But after today's results (elections), I am more and more motivated to also learn German, as the easiest option of where to go.

Nous sommes d'accord sur la politique, je pense.... While German is and will remain super useful, I was surprised to see the high minimum wages in Slovenia (https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten ... in-der-eu/) . I find that the minimum wages tell more about the overall situation in a country than average wages which tend to be inflated.

I think median is the most important number.

Minimum wages are influenced by a lot of factors, including how high the social benefits are in the country, how much do people avoid taxes by working illegally (this is not just about the amount of money to pay, it is also about the system being complicated and about the overall trust in the government to use the money well). And also by the fact what is the government of the country trying to do. Whether to get in the right direction and help the country produce mostly stuff with high added value, or to be a cheap factory for other countries getting majority of the benefits and ripping us off (it is so "funny" to hear western europeans complain about having only disadvantages from our eu membership). Unfortunately, the Czech Republic seems to be going the second path, so it is probable many young people will be leaving this sinking ship in future as the strong old generations are not likely to change . We have fallen so low during the last 100 years.

The original Czechoslovakia was one of the most developed and prosperous countries in the world. We've recently celebrated the 99th anniversary of its beginning. I've seen a few documentary bits, authentic stuff. The people were so happy and optimistic! If only they had any idea what they were getting into.

Slovenia is no surprise in my opinion, it does really well in many aspects, sometimes being the best out of the "new" EU members (really, they should stop calling us new after 13 years). I would love to visit the country one day. From the little I know about it, they are doing a lot of stuff right and the people could be a great source of inspiration. I think it is an admirable country and consider not knowing it better a huge gap in my general knowledge.

The surprising one is not Slovenia but Slovakia. It is growing much more rapidly than us, perhaps because it started poorer, and because it has been doing some good decisions despite mistakes. And their wages are growing overall, because that is their only way to keep people from moving to the Czech Republic and because even the least skilled mathematicians can finally see the wage differences between Slovakia and the rest of the eurozone. The situation there is improving beyond expectations. Even though it is quite a popular game to compare whose politicians are worse, whether the czech ones, or the slovaks. Nobody wins but it has some therapeutic effects :-D

I think the problem is who do we compare ourselves to. Most czechs (including the official people we see on tv) have a tendency to compare the country to Slovakia (our brother, divorced partner, or best friend, depends on the point of view :-D ), to Poland and Hungary, because it is easy to feel good about that. The more openminded to the Baltic countries. Comparing us to Germany and Austria is just depressive.

We should be comparing ourselves to other small countries, or similarily rich ones. You know, like the input of +1 level or what is it called. Ones we would like to be like, instead of the ones we can consider the same or worse most of the time. Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, the Ireland, Slovenia, Iceland, or Israel. But that would require people to open their minds, accept how much we suck, and start working and voting differently.

The overall bad language skills are a huge part of the problem. It is much easier to get info about slovaks, there is no language barreer. Or poles, they are our neighbours with a similar language. But too few people are learning French, Portuguese, Slovenian, Dutch and other such languages opening the doors to info about these countries that usually don't fill the international pages of our newspapers.

End of rant.
Too little activity concerning the languages. My exam is getting closer. I am scared but it makes me much less motivated. I am at the point of almost giving up, accepting my fate. Any tips on getting through this phase?

Studying in French, as the textbook is simply much clearer. But I have to get back to the horrible Czech one. A little email exchange in French.
A few episodes of Estoy vivo, which I love.
A bit of German back on Duolingo. I actually started their new Japanese course, I hate myself :-D I think it lacks a lot of explanations, I don't learn well just by memorisation and observation. Dissecting the basic phrases on my own is not easy. But it does have some assets, at least as a sample of learning the language.

Duolingo has recently introduced achievements. Some of them are pretty funny:
Overtime: Congrats! You completed a lesson or practice BEFORE 8AM/AFTER 10PM.
I've got both.
The majority of my life and studies happens after 10 am, and sometimes closer to 8am from the wrong side. I need encouragement to be alive and thinking while other people are, not the opposite!

I need more coffee.
7 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Cavesa wrote: My exam is getting closer. I am scared but it makes me much less motivated. I am at the point of almost giving up, accepting my fate. Any tips on getting through this phase?
Your exam is your only priority. You just have to make doing the necessary work the thing that Cavesa does. You wake up, you work towards your exam. You have a cup of coffee, you work towards your exam while the kettle boils. It's your day.

All Japanese All The Time, but no Japanese. :-)
4 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

It's a completely different situation, but I recently got through a very rough spot in my life. The last year I have had a very hostile supervisor. I had no choice but to put up with it. It was awful for me and for other people in our school.
She suddenly and mysteriously went on extended (permanent?) leave the week before last.

And the sun came out and I can sleep at night again...

My only point is to remind you that bad times pass.
Stay strong :D

edited to fix a tense mistake in English :lol:
Last edited by sfuqua on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Cavesa wrote: My exam is getting closer. I am scared but it makes me much less motivated. I am at the point of almost giving up, accepting my fate. Any tips on getting through this phase?
Your exam is your only priority. You just have to make doing the necessary work the thing that Cavesa does. You wake up, you work towards your exam. You have a cup of coffee, you work towards your exam while the kettle boils. It's your day.

All Japanese All The Time, but no Japanese. :-)

I actually disagree with this (though DaveBee may have a point about the no Japanese). Having been in similar positions, I have found that trying to force myself to study means I still do nothing and feel miserable. Yes, it is a major priority. Yes, you do have to study. But you also need to schedule a number of other things or you will ruin your mental health for no gain. Add in time to exercise, to go outside, to meet people you love, to eat. The stronger your mental state, the better you will be able to study. And often I found that after doing some of these things, when I came back, I was less scared and more motivated.

If you fail this exam, it doesn't change who you are. You are still as intelligent, as kind, as funny, etc. It just means you failed and you may have to make other choices. The bigger the exam becomes in your mind, the more you are tied into it, the worse you'll feel and you won't be able to study effectively.
8 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Hey! Considering I've been eating up your book suggestions lately, I was wondering if you have any suggestions for language dense French series that are really addictive? I need something to push me to fit in the hours I need to finish off a double super challenge this year :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:23 am

Thank you for your continuous support! It means a lot to me.

Right now, I don't know whether I have the imposter syndrome or it was really a huuuuge mistake I got so far.

As soon as I get this stupid thing done, no matter the results, I'm coming back to languages. I am so looking forward to getting confused about German cases again and angry with my repeated stupid subjuntivo mistakes in Spanish!

Despite trying, I have watched some tv series episodes during the last week. Fortunately, not many of my favourites are running now.

There is, however, one show that is so horrible I cannot even use it for procrastination anymore! I didn't finish the season and almost regret having watched a part of it. Helsing seemed to be a normal vampire/horror/zombie/apocalypse thing. Well, there are good things in this genre (I should probably start watching the Walking Dead one day. But preferably after my degree). And than there is crap like Helsing. It is not the usual relaxing thrilling experience. The story is too slow, I don't have the patience to get so few bits of info from each episode. The characters are ok, except the main character (and people die even more than in the Game of Thrones). I don't have enough information even on the vampires and the whole background story, not enough to really care. It is not my Italian, that is to blame. I really don't think the dialogues are sufficient. A technical problem: the dialogues are so much quieter than shooting, that it is impossible to set my volume one way and stick to it for the whole episode. Either I barely hear the characters, or I get my ears destroyed really often.

So, Helsing definitely goes on my list of "stuff I wouldn't recommend to anyone in any language".

Now back to the main "series" I've been following recently: The 1001 ways a book can disgust you. An overly long horror saga.

I'm not sure I can make it till the 30th. I don't think all this is worth it.

Ani, I can definitely recommend Engrenage and Kaamelott as really really dense. But there are surely more. I guess a well made Sherlock dubbing (I haven't tried) might be a challenge too.
11 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 pm

I passed the exam today.
Back to normal life.

Thank you for your continuous support. It has been helping me a lot. You cannot even imagine how much! Thank you!

December goals: find some more balance, catch up on sleep, read a few books (I've just bought one Czech fantasy novel and a Slovak one), get back to studying normal medicine not just this crazy exam, slooooowly get back to active language learning.

A bonus goal: invent a realistic plan for 2018.
-it is sure I will carry my unfinished Super Challenge goals to the next year. I failed the challenge, but I will still reach the goals.
-a realistic regular learning plan, with clear priorities and lots of wiggle room to adapt to crap like what I've been through recently.
-think of ways to use some of the changes in my life (such as having to finish my medicine studies later than expected) to reach some of the goals I may have trouble reaching later, when I am busy adjusting to the absolutely new phase of life
20 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Cavesa wrote:I passed the exam today.
That deserves a bigger font. :-)

Well done Cavesa. You worked for that.
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Congratulations!

There's not much more I can say. (There were a few times, when I've been thinking to write something here, but then didn't find the right words.) If you can: take your time and try to relax.

Studying a bit longer isn't actually that bad, it can also create some extra time for language learning. At least in my case it did at times.
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Cavesa wrote:I passed the exam today.