Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Postby Cavesa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 am

I don't know, I don't live in Eastern Europe.

The survey shows quite nothing. It is not so easy to make a good sociologic research. And impossible, if you do an international one and mess up the translations.
After my tonight's intentions to do some Italian went wrong (there was no point without the audio), I tried to write a bit in French. A review of an awesome book I have finished recently (Laurent Genefor, Les opéras de l'espace, it was absolutely awesome) And I was horrible. I can speak it. That feels normal. But in writting, it is a disaster. So, I tried a different activity. Memrise, some old reviews, easy stuff. And it went horribly too. Either it didn't switch, the translations from English to French, or I just forgot the basics, when faced with writing. This is horrible! I have easier time remembering Spanish vocabulary this way, than French!

French will need some active work too, but that could be fun.

It is hard to tell, what I should do. Basic review perhaps. Written exercises. Written workbooks. The sentences appear in my head without any problem, while I am speaking. But I am like a beginner, every time I try to write. It's been at least half a year since I last wrote anything, that is part of the problem :-D

I think I was already at this point. Writing is a nightmare :-D

I am even considering a tutor, but I want someone good, and someone with lots of feedback for writing, and ideally working mostly through email or something. And not to expensive, which makes it even harder.

So, read that book, if you are looking for something original and awesome in scifi anyways :-). Genefort really made a great impression on me.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am

Cavesa wrote:It is not so easy to make a good sociologic research.

Yeah, I know.

Cavesa wrote:I can speak it. That feels normal. But in writting, it is a disaster.

You are not alone!

Cavesa wrote:Laurent Genefor, Les opéras de l'espace, it was absolutely awesome

Looks good so I bought it. :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:18 pm

I have no clue if this will work for you (or at all), but why don't you try dictation? I don't mean the boring kind, I mean reviewing the book orally and then using the sentences as a base for writing out your review? That way you don't have to worry about creating a review from scratch.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Last time I was in Brno the hotel manager took to calling me Johanka (Czech-ifying my name) when she found out the passport didn't match the booking details. (it probably helped I speak Czech though)
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Cavesa wrote:I don't know, I don't live in Eastern Europe.

I believe this map expresses quite nicely the geographical divisions as understood in our part of Europe (one may argue about some countries, I personally don't see how the Switzerland ended up there...): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... uropas.png .

BTW, I've always found Czech people very appreciative of my Czech. Perhaps it's just how the speakers of the languages that are not expected to be known by outsiders react to them learning their language nonetheless, but it is always a good reinforcement to hear nice things from the native speakers (while being painfully conscious of one's deficiencies).

In my experience most people are relieved if they can switch to their native language (this piece of anecdotal evidence is seriously compromised by the fact that I've never traveled either to the Netherlands or to the Scandinavian countries).
2 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Most people are relieved here too. They're just not used to it.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Cavesa wrote: And I was horrible. I can speak it. That feels normal. But in writting, it is a disaster.
In that case, write as you speak, that's what the majority of the youngsters do.
Another approach is write 2 correct sentences each day, instead of trying to lay a golden egg once a year.
I must confess that I've difficulties to understand the concept of "I can speak it but I can't write it".
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Arnaud wrote:
Cavesa wrote: And I was horrible. I can speak it. That feels normal. But in writting, it is a disaster.
In that case, write as you speak, that's what the majority of the youngsters do.
Another approach is write 2 correct sentences each day, instead of trying to lay a golden egg once a year.
I must confess that I've difficulties to understand the concept of "I can speak it but I can't write it".

It is partially similar to my problem with writing in Czech. Due to lack of practice, perhaps. It simply doesn't come easily. It's as if I took a hit in the head while opening the text editor. :-D
Perhaps I "think faster" while speaking then while writing. Or I have too much time to second guess myself and panic "help, I am writing". I have the same sensation of panic in Czech too. Actually, it seems very similar. English has become my main writing language. It is hard to switch from it to others.

I've just found out, that something like an email is still ok. But trying to write something with more thought in it is a tragedy.

Two correct sentences are not a problem per se. The problem is more feeling like a beginner, not becoming one again. The problem is remembering stuff, while trying to put together a text. The problem is writing freely, like in English. The problem is making the text look good. I don't need to write a stupid shopping list, I need more. And therefore I need practice. But I have to practice in ways making sense, otherwise I'll just worsen the stress and panic and block.

A few good ideas were here, like the dictation. I was suggested this in a different context ages ago. And I've recently watched an episode of Columbo, where the victim was a writer dictating his book and having it transcribed.

So, it might be an interesting idea to simply dictate something in French, and then transcribe it. That could be a nice first draft, ready for improvements.
0 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Last edited by BalancingAct on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Cavesa wrote:So, read that book, if you are looking for something original and awesome in scifi anyways :-). Genefort really made a great impression on me.

Ooh, I'd never heard of Genefort. And UK Amazon has a bunch of his books on Kindle! I'll check that one out, thank you!
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language logs”