Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Postby Stelle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Yay! Congrats!
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you all!

No, this wasn't the huge exam to France. That one is coming in June 2019. Not 2018 :-(
This one was an officially tiny exam, but I got to a quite of deadly mix of my mistakes and external circumstances. Objectively, there are much worse exams ahead of me. Subjectively, nothing on this faculty will be worse. Nothing at all.

Exam count down: 8 to go (3 normal ones, 2 middle hell ones, 3 nightmares)

But I have time for my language goals now, which is great. During the last few months, I was forced to consider various kinds of future for me, various aspects of it. They are scary. All of them. And they have one thing in common: there will never be more time for my hobbies than now. It is not ideal now, but it will never be. And I don't want to wait till I am old and retired (that may actually never happen, as the age of going to retirement seems to be moving up everywhere in Europe). So, it is time for it now.

Another thing to consider: I need to survive my medecine studies. And one thing I have learnt during the last few months was the importance of support by people around me. I have realized how much of a progress I've made on this front. I had never have such a supportive network before. And the second one was the importance of activities that make me genuinely happy. I am unable to follow the advice "just focus on medicine, don't add anything unimportant, you can do that later". No. There is no "later". Not only I will never have more free time and fewer obligations, it will only get worse. But I also cannot imagine there is life after graduation. The rational parts of the cortex know there is such a thing as getting the diploma and leaving this. The rest of the brain struggles. To me, it is very similar to waiting for paradise after death. And just focusing exclusively on the very thing that has been mostly ruining my life is destroying me. Languages are on the list of things making me genuinely happy. I had been too tired and learning disgusted to learn during the last few months, but I am getting back on track. Hey, I passed a DALF C2 while studying for the microbiology exam. I can get a few lower levels while studying for the rest. :-D

I think I should start a new log. This one has helped me survive, but it is so full of sadness and depression and there are extremely few successes here. My non language studies took over it. I don't want to wait for the New Year. New Year is not that awesome at starting new things anyways. The majority of resolutions doesn't end up well.

Thank you all for reading, for writing here, and for supporting me so much! See you in a brand new log.
13 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Postby humerusthings » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

Hi Cavesa!

Your log is really inspiring!! I can't wait to check out your new log :) Also congrats on passing your exam.

I don't think I could have learnt a language while I was in medical school hahaha. I only started language learning when I started working (and then only when I was doing shift work cos I started to get days off in the middle of the week).

Regarding the medicine side of it: I completely concur that medical school is TOUGH. It's actually tough for everyone, so don't worry too much about it, everyone is finding it difficult too! I can attest that working life is actually very different and needs a totally different set of skills from just book-studying. There are people who did really well in medical school but can't survive actual working life, and vice versa. So don't worry, there are happier times on the horizon!

Which year of medical school are you in? :) I can help with medicine-related advice, just drop me a PM if you need any help with medicine stuffs :)

And finally - yes I totally understand what you mean about taking time to study languages as a form of relaxation in the middle of all the stress! I think it's really important to take a break from all the crazy studying.
1 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

Return to “Language logs”