Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Con calma, a new and better log for 2017

Postby Systematiker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:47 pm

That takes a lot of guts to say. We love you, Cavesa, and whatever happens, we support you. You've got tough stuff to deal with - especially with a stigma around it. You hurt, and it's not something anyone can see, and it doesn't just go away. It's no shame to ask for help, or to admit when things are too much.

We're here for you. That's about all we can do, but we're here. I'm not going to point out a silver lining, or try to make you feel better about the situation, because you're allowed to be pissed, or sad, or whatever you're feeling without me trying to tell you how to feel or to buck up. Wherever you're at, we're here for you, and we love you.

We're here.
19 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm

All of our love to wonderful, irreplaceable you, Cavesa.
12 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Cavesa wrote:I am a failure.

If you are not allowed to complete the program, you would have failed at that particular thing.

Big difference from labeling yourself a failure.

Your life, like starting a business, should be viewed by looking at the successes, not at the failures.

Fingers crossed for you.
Last edited by Peluche on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 am

I'm so sorry, Cavesa. I hope it all works out for you and that whatever happens will eventually lead to a happy life. I know you feel like a failure; it's a feeling I'm very familiar with from my own life. But failing and losing everything a couple of times has in the end led me to a relatively good and contented life. I think the most important thing if you want to be happy, is that you live your life for you and not for others. Try not to worry about being "a joke" or anything else. It's better to be a joke and live a happy life that you enjoy, than to have the appearance of success while feeling miserable. I think about you a lot and I hope you have a happy outcome.
11 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am

Echoing what the others have said, you are in no way, shape or form, a failure. You have accomplished so much in such a short time - you are a good daughter and sister, you try to help people, you speak several languages to an incredibly high standard, you have battled with health, you have a relationship, and all of the other things we don't know about. You may have failed at something this time, but do not lose sight of all your many successes. You should be incredibly proud of yourself, and you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

There are many options open to you in the future, even if they might not be what you have wished. You will accomplish so many brilliant things. We will all be cheering you on, and hope that you find something that works for you.
8 x
Corrections appreciated.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

Cavesa, I have always been one of your biggest fans here. I still am. In the words of the American baseball legend, Yogi Berra
Yogi Berra wrote:It ain't over til it's over

Even if it is over, it's not the end of everything. A young woman like yourself, highly intelligent, personable and kind will be able to do anything she sets her mind to do and do it well. You are most definitely not a failure. If this is the path for you to take, it will work out. If not, you will find another path to follow. I am sure of that. I wish you all the best and am thinking of you in these difficult times.
8 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

You know that I support you and that I agree with all the people who have posted above.

But what I would like to add is that failing exams due to a post-traumatic stress disorder is not something to be ashamed of at all. PTSD is a disorder - an illness - and it requires treatment like everything else. We can't expect people with broken legs to run around caring for patients, and we can't expect it from people with PTSD either. It takes guts to admit you're the one suffering, but it gets easier from here on out; you will be getting the treatment you need (hopefully) in order to become sane and whole again. Take the time to get better - most likely, your universities will have procedures in place for people with illnesses. It was like that when I fell ill during my studies years ago. You have options to work forward, even though it will all take time. If you're a bit lucky, try and find someone who knows the small print and can help you navigate the red tape. (For example, when I fell ill with my panic disorder, what happened was that I let my dad organize and figure out all the legal benefits and tax cuts I am eligible for. Often, there are resources in place you need to apply for, but it's usually your job to figure them out. So someone close to you who is able to help with that will take a load off your mind).

And just to make sure you understand: I chose to study chemical engineering and I still don't have a job in that field, even though I graduated four years ago. All that time spent learning medicine is not going to be wasted, because it still forms a part of you. So whether you are in or out, you should realize that it will still be an experience you have learned from. CVs never tell you the whole story. Papers are papers. There's more to the job application process than CVs, and I'll be honest with you; I don't have a hundred student jobs either. You'll be okay.
10 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 pm

I agree with everything else that has been said. You are not a failure, or a joke. What you are dealing with right now is deeply unfair, and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

You are a brilliant person and an accomplished linguist. I've seen first hand what med students have to go through and it looks like you need a level of resilience which is, frankly, superhuman. To deal with your health problems on top of that, you have my utmost respect, regardless of the outcome with your faculty. And if medicine doesn't work out for you, I have every confidence you will find your way to something interesting and rewarding, that will also pay your bills.

I am thinking of you, and hope that things get better for you soon.
5 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Mi butti giù più io vado su. -- Nina Zilli
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Worse things happen at sea you know.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”