FSI Spanish Walkthrough

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: FSI Spanish Walkthrough

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 am

kanewai wrote:I remember noticing a bit of this in French, but no where near the level of the Spanish course. It gets more intense as it goes on, too. I never realized how fragile American masculinity was back then. In one lesson the footnotes assure the budding diplomats that it is not effeminate at all to compliment a host on their coffee.

That's so weird! I basically use FSI as an audio course, so it seems I'm missing out on even more weirdness in the books!

kanewai wrote:I can't even grasp the English here. The best I can hope for is to drill drill drill until I just know what sounds rights.

My eyes tend to glaze over when I have to read such grammar explanations. And in all my travels I haven't yet consciously noticed that people say "más de" too, I will keep my ears open now :roll: With Spanish the stuff to learn never seems to get less *sigh*
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (native)
Spanish (learning)

Re: FSI Spanish Walkthrough

Postby kunsttyv » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:27 am

Even on the tape recordings it's possible to notice this necessity for masculinity and manhood that's bordering on desperation. I'm happy I live in a time and place where I don't have to prove myself all the time and conform to these archaic gender conventions. At least not as much as in mid-century America. Your quote is absolutely golden kanewai, I agree with blaurebell, seems like we're missing out.

Unit 24/25/26

Reflexive clitics til I drop! Well crafted units. It sorted out some uncertainties I had with these types of constructions. I also notice that the drills are becoming more complex in the sense that larger chunks of the sentences are being substituted each time. FSI also keeps me on my toes by suddenly mixing things up and breaking out of the pattern. If you're just chugging along without paying attention to the finer details of the drill, you will get caught off guard.

I'm on track to finish volume 2 before my summer vacation in three weeks. Only four units to go. They are going to be about imperatives in all shapes and forms, so now they will present to us the present subjunctive forms for the first time.

¡Adelante!
5 x

Return to “Language logs”