EN, RU log written in Korean

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

EN, RU log written in Korean

Postby Oscard587 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:04 am

Finally I got some time to start this log, because in this week, I don't need to preview for Russian reading class in my univ which includes a lot of new words and examples that need to be fully memorized :lol:
However, This log will be started after finishing my semester (4 or 5 weeks later, I guess?)

background and reason

I never learned English grammar before, I'm heavily relying on my input whenever I use English, like this time..
of course, I made a lot of mistakes every time but was able to communicate with others, so I stopped and never studied English.
but now the time has come - I'll graduate my university 2 years later and don't wanna end up like how other Koreans study English.
obviously, I need to learn more 'correct' English with more vocabulary before graduate. :lol:

One of my major is Russian and I want to be fluent before graduate, too.
it's obvious that I couldn't reach higher level with only classes in my university, I was wrong.
so I'll do it by myself rather than following courses every semester in there.

French and Polish is just.. kind of experiment.
I'll apply different methodologies with same amount of time that I've thought how to learn languages to those.
I know it'll be useless for me, I'm really doubt I ever visit those countries or get a job related to those languages :D I'm not learning languages for useful purpose!
it's like a competition between both languages, I'm also really curious which language would be more fluent after finishing my study.
so, I won't invest my time much, it's just for fun.
but it seems my friends from there want to make me to be fluent in their languages :lol:

I'd like to write this log with some Korean. (in my personal blog, of course, it will be written in full Korean :D)
1. I read rules of this forum and seems this is the only place I could write in my native language on here.
2. I'm struggling to use English after I lost my language exchange partner (well, actually friend) few months ago.
before that I used English frequently but now, it's not.
3. also there are some websites which meant to be correct other's post (like lang-8) so it's their job, not in here :D

I'm planning to stop my studying for one semester and do self study intensively in my home before take more classes for credit.
How far I could go? well, honestly I'm in doubt about myself, let's see :roll:

TL list and current level (2017.06)

English - I guess it's B1 if it is about reading. others? not sure...
Russian - maybe around A?
French - I didn't started yet
Polish - I didn't started yet

Here is my resource list - which included I don't have it right now but planning to buy in future.
also I never intended to use it all for learning ; just I gathered information about resources and check it later.

English
1. Pronunciation in Use (Elementary) / Sheep or Ship (Intermediate) / American Accent Training / American Accent Training Grammar
2. Oxford Grammar (Intermediate), Cambridge Grammar in Use (Essential, Intermediate) , Practical English Usage, Rhetorical Grammar
3. Longman Language Activator, Oxford Collocations Dictionary, Phrasal Verbs Dictionary. + some Korean books for vocabulary
4. A Diary of Wimpy kid (audiobook)
5. Learn English Podcast by British council and other podcasts such as free courses from Yale, like that.
6. Native Materials

Russian
1. Russian Pronunciation for Korean speakers (Korean book) / O russkom ydarenii (B1)
2. Russian grammar books - written in Korean and Russian
3. 555 verbs conjugation, 10,000 frequency dictionary, two simple books written in Korean.
+ 러시아어 동사의 세계, 러시아어 이제 동사로 표현하자, 러시아어 뉘앙스 따라잡기.
4. 러시아어 첫걸음, 실속 러시아어 첫걸음 1-2 , 입에서 톡 러시아어, 러시아어 회화 사전. (All Korean books)
5. Michel Thomas Russian, Glossika Russian
6. Russian course for foreign students from http://openedu.ru/ , RT 100 Lessons.
7. Some Russian books that I bought from Saint Petersburg.
8. Modern Russian 1,2 (First edition)

French
1. Assimil, Hugo / Assimil Using French, Hugo Advanced
2. Les 500 exercices A1/A2, B1/B2 (for pronunciation), 프랑스어 발음 연습 (Korean book)
3. Grammaire en dialogue / Grammaire Progressive / Communication Progressive / Civilization en dialogue
4. Glossika French, French with PN
5. Mastering French Vocabulary
6. Expressio.fr /RFI French / Slow News in French

Polish
1. First Polish reader ~
2. DailyPolish 100 (for beginners) ~
3. Beginners Polish
4. Books from Poland written in Polish language.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English : Despite massive input allows me to use English like now, I need to work on my speaking. A lot of input and no output at all...
although I didn't do that intentionally (Actually I didn't know what is 'input' before) drawback is huge when it comes to Speaking and pronunciation.
Russian : My arch enemy :lol: I must get TORFL 2 before graduate (in 2 years) I'll invest most of my time to this language.
French, Polish : just get out of beginner stage in 8 months :D and I'll focus myself to a language which I improved more

I won't make strict plan cause it will leads me to failure, so some of resources will be neglected if I consider myself that I don't need to do it.
also Koreans are accustomed to study intensively by Korean culture, sadly, I'm not gifted in that way.
so, this log will be used for check my progress!
Last edited by Oscard587 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
15 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Sc27
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (?, not a beginner for sure)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5526

Re: Live Forever - Rachmaninoff, Debussy and Chopin

Postby Sc27 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:18 am

I would like to say: 화이팅! There's a lot of resources that you're using for multiple languages, so I want to commend you for that!

Just curious, is the reason that you chose Rachmanioff, Debussy, and Chopin is because you love their classical works? :D I don't know a lot of their works, but the ones I listen to the most are their most well-known works: Piano Concerto No. 2 by Rachmanioff, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun) by Debussy, and Op. 9 No. 2 by Chopin.
0 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Sc27 wrote:I would like to say: 화이팅! There's a lot of resources that you're using for multiple languages, so I want to commend you for that!

Just curious, is the reason that you chose Rachmanioff, Debussy, and Chopin is because you love their classical works? :D I don't know a lot of their works, but the ones I listen to the most are their most well-known works: Piano Concerto No. 2 by Rachmanioff, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun) by Debussy, and Op. 9 No. 2 by Chopin.

First of all, Thanks a lot!
I considered about write the title of log in Korean like 러시아어, 프랑스어, 폴란드어..
but I wanna something different and took it from my playlist.
oh, sure, I love them. I also don't know much about their works (Well, Usually I got my albums by performer, not composer :D )
because.. yeah.. I have a lot of listening materials, I mean in classical works and pieces :lol:

'Piano Concerto No. 2 by Rachmanioff' It's the no.1 favorite piece of Korean classical music lovers, According to Survey by KBS, in 2015 :D
certainly I love it too. However,Recently 'Prelude in G Minor Op. 23 No. 5' has been my no.1 favorite work of Rachmaninoff :D
Their strong tradition of piano works and performers is really amazing! that's really enough reason to learn Russian!

I love 'La Mer' by Debussy, maybe because that piece somehow reminds me when I was a coastguard. without that, it's still great :D
um.. perhaps I should've pick the name as Ravel for my log :lol:

Chopin's Etude is always interesting, for now I listen Op.10 No.5 mostly (yeah, black keys :D )
1 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 am

Short memo before start - 1

1. I found that vowels are difficult to pronounce than consonants.
I was read my books for pronunciation and tried to mimic tongue postitions, well..

I'm not sure about my native language has something common with my TL and how much they are similar. I should compare IPA before starts too.

2. Also one more thing I've discovered that I didn't have anything for Polish pronunciation.

Of course, my books introduce it basically. However, I wanted to practice it with more detail.
I mean informations like Comparing similar sound, the letters pronounced in same position but with vibration or not, some similar words for practice distinguish it. Yes, minimal pairs.

I expected that 'Beginning Polish' has something about this, but not sure now. Maybe I need to gather it from the internet..

3. My classes in univ

Turkish reading - memorize lesson 4,5,6,7,8 and grammar points

Turkish conversation - memorize 5 minutes script also all the expression learned in this semester

Russian conversation - same but expressions only

Russian Grammar practice - Memorize all about cases

Turkish Grammar - 'understand' Grammar and memorize everything

Middle east - summarize points (not language class but English textbook)

Russian Grammar - same but memorize exceptions and difficult words more

Russian practical reading - almost give up

Russian Reading - memorize everything and write it before final exam started, send it to professor.

It seems things I need to do is too much than expected, too bad, I wanna throw these 'memorize' away as soon as possible. Also I'm convinced these things are not useful as much as studying myself, but 'memorize' won't let me go..
0 x

Sol
Orange Belt
Languages: (N) Bulgarian, English
Learning: Greek, Korean
Future: French, Italian, Russian
Paused: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18342

Postby Sol » Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 am

I will be following your log! That's an interesting selection of languages you've chosen. It reminded me that I want to learn Polish some day too. Turkish maybe too, so I can impress my grandparents who love Turkish TV shows. Ah, so many languages, so little time.

Have you ever used Duolingo? There is a English from Korean course there, though you may be at a higher level than it teaches. Duolingo also has Polish, Russian and French courses (though from English).

Another good Russian resource is learnrussian.rt.com.

Good luck!
0 x
Korean
TTMIK: 45 / 305 (45/305 lessons)
SC22-23 Books: 3 / 5000 (3/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 2260 / 9000 (2260/9000 minutes)

Greek
SC22-23 Books: 22 / 5000 (22/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Short memo - resources for Russian

http://dict.ruslang.ru/freq.php?

О. Н. Ляшевская, С. А. Шаров, Частотный словарь современного русского языка (на материалах Национального корпуса русского языка). М.: Азбуковник, 2009.

frequency dictionary of Russian, based on corpus , 20000 words, easy to use and gives more option

meaning of word and accent mark missed - not for beginners

Dictionary of Advanced Russian Usage: A Guide to Idiom, Colloquialisms, Slang and More

Russian-English Dictionary of Idioms, Revised Edition - library ordered it

----

Audio forum - Polish phrasebook audio (Oscar Swan)

The Routledge Intermediate Polish Reader

---
501 French Verbs: with CD-ROM and MP3 CD (501 Verb Series)
- curious what's inside in MP3 CD, if it includes all conjugation forms of verbs then I'll consider to get it...

-------------
Edited for additional information

- finally, I got a part-time job. But manager who interviewed me told me I might be have less time for study and asked me is it fine for me. I answered yes but now not sure how much time I'll lose for extra work.

- I found that there are Polish speaking contest held every year in Korea. But it looks like a league of their own - Polish major students. Even though Polish embassy gives a reward, They still notify it only to Polish major student. (Only one exist in Korea). Meanwhile, Reward is big, give a scholarship to study Polish in Poland for 6 months or summer school in Poland. It's really tempting... and would be a good goal for my Polish study. However, I doubt I could attend there, they might reject me to attend there even though I'm in the same univ with them..
Anyway, I'll ask them later if my Polish study goes well. November, November..

is it possible to 1.5 year self-study could beat students who majors my TL? I need to study others too, more important languages for me. Also I'm not sure they will measure me in fair way after my speech finished. Well well..

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam...
0 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 am

Sol wrote:I will be following your log! That's an interesting selection of languages you've chosen. It reminded me that I want to learn Polish some day too. Turkish maybe too, so I can impress my grandparents who love Turkish TV shows. Ah, so many languages, so little time.

Have you ever used Duolingo? There is a English from Korean course there, though you may be at a higher level than it teaches. Duolingo also has Polish, Russian and French courses (though from English).

Another good Russian resource is learnrussian.rt.com.

Good luck!

I used duolingo before, change my option as English speaker. But my problem was English. I mean.. every time I solve translation quiz, I made it wrong in English. Determiners such as a,an and the makes me in trouble every time. So I feel like I'm learning English, not my TL whatever I use! I'm thinking about using memrise instead of duolingo.

Yes, RT is valuable! I'll use only some part of it. Especially dialogues. How should I call these.. native sense? Words and phrases are slightly different from what I've seen before in my coursebook. I'll get them.

Have you ever visited openedu.ru?
University of Saint Petersburg offers one Russian course for foreign students. Also it includes video and audio materials. It seems more genuine. I'll also get it too.

Thanks!
1 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:20 am

한국어 로그 : 테스트용
지금 공부중이고 영어로 쓰려면 쓸수는 있겠지만 시간이 없는 관계로, 한국어로도 써볼 겸 해서 이번에는 한국어로만 씁니다.

러시아어 - 본격적인 공부는 학기 이후
기말고사 때문에 문법 공부 위주로 하는중,
전체 격 연습문제를 풀어볼 예정.
몇 가지 사실을 염두에 둬야 할 것 같다.

첫째로 지금 격 연습 문제를 다 푼다고 완벽해질지는 의문 - 모던 러시아어를 구한 목적이 격 변화 연습을 자동적으로, 보다 중요한 점은 듣기&말하기 분야에서 한다는 점인데, 지금 시험 준비로 공부하는 것은 읽기&쓰기에 국한되기 때문에 편향된 실력 상승이 걱정. 아무래도 듣기&말하기에 더 중점을 둬야할지도 모르겠다.

둘째로 생각보다 커버해야 할 부분이 많다는 점 - 문법책 뒷부분은 별로 공부하지 않았었고 격 변화에만 집중했었다. 목차를 살펴보고 요점 정리를 해봤는데 따로 따로 다뤄야 할 부분이 많다. 시간이 얼마나 걸릴지는 모르겠지만, 거칠게 설정한 공부 계획을 보다 세부적으로, 일부 수정해야겠다.

폴란드어
1. 학교 도서관에 fonetyka 구입 요청했고 주문중 - 하지만 방학 기간에 도착할것 같다. 그전까진? 그리고, 폴란드어 문법도 따로 봐둘 필요가 있겠다. 성격상 문법 공부를 건너뛸수가 없다. 본래 목적에 어긋나긴 하지만 어쨌든 문법 공부를 최대한 억제할 예정.

2. 다른 문제점이라면, 비슷한 표현들이 러시아어처럼 들려서 혼란을 유발한다. 받아쓰기하려면 키릴 문자로 받아쓸지도 모르겠다. 우선 먼저 사둔 책으로 듣기&받아쓰기 먼저 해야할지도.

프랑스어
1. 손도 안대고 있다. 다만 도움받기 제일 쉬운 언어라는 점은 장점이다. (영어보다도 쉽다, 어떻게 된건지..)

영어
1. 접기 직전이다. 예상 외로 시간 소요가 많이 되는 일들이 많다. 그럼에도 영어 구사 수준이 매우 낮기 때문에 보강해야한단 점은 변하지 않는다.

총평 : 딜레마, 어쩌면 주력 언어를 정하고 공부 언어를 좀 줄이는게 좋아보이기도 한다. 아니면 시간 배분을 다르게 하거나..

수정 : 체호프 얘기를 깜박했다 - 아마도, 베껴쓰기를 해볼지도 모르겠다.
1 x

Sc27
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (?, not a beginner for sure)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5526

Postby Sc27 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 pm

프랑스어
1. 손도 안대고 있다. 다만 도움받기 제일 쉬운 언어라는 점은 장점이다. (영어보다도 쉽다, 어떻게 된건지..)

왜 그러신가요? 남들의 프랑스어로 얘기할 때 발음을 들어서 영어보다 더 쉽다고 생각하세요? 아니면 영어보다 문법과 발음 규직이 들 있어서 이러세요?

성공했었으면 좋겠습니다. 화이팅!
0 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Postby solocricket » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:03 am

Good luck with Polish! I'm having a good time with it thus far. I've had an interest in Russian, but I'm afraid I would mix them up too much. Have you listened to Chopin's Ballad in Gm? That one might be my favorite :D
0 x

Return to “Language logs”