I am learning English again~~

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Doris
White Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),Japanese(N1),English(intermediate)

Re: I am learning English again~~

Postby Doris » Tue May 16, 2017 9:11 am

tarvos wrote:你好Doris.

我现在在学习中文,可以帮助你学习英文。 最好的是你看很多书,但一定不太难的,而且也不太简单的。最重要的事找一本合适的书,让你提高你的水平,但是也让你明白书里面的故事。我的问题跟你的一样:我现在也不会看中文书,但是会说的时候还可以,虽然有时候我的意思也不清楚。

我想问你一下: 你最喜欢的书是什么种的? 英文老师经常推荐太难得书,都是文学作品,那如果是这样的话,人人一定不马上了解,也对看书不感兴趣。 我看最好的办法是找你最爱种的树,这样你有喜欢又练习,后来,越学习越好的水平。 你有什么感觉呢?你怎么看?

加油!

Hi,Tarvos. Your Chinese is so good. I can understand all of the words you want to say. You adviced me to read a lot of books which is not too difficult, but not too easy. I can't agree more with you. Firstly I need to find a suitable book to start my English reading. I like different types books, such as literary works, Japanese suspense novels etc. I like Higashino Keigo's books, he is a Japanese author. Some of his works have been adapted for the screen. Nowadays, I am reading Nonviolent Communication wroted by Marshall B.Rosenberg, which is Chinese version. Do you have any books to recommend to me?
By the way, I think you've learned a lot of Chinese words, but you need to pay more attention to grammar. And keep writing in Chinese.
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am

Doris wrote:Hello, Ani. I like reading and reading books on different types. Such as literary works, Japanese suspense novels and so on. I have read A Brief History of Humankind, which is wroted by Yuval Noah Harari . Lean In wroted by Sheryl Sandberg. And I am reading Nonviolent Communication wroted by Marshall B.Rosenberg now. Most of the books I read is Chinese version. Some is Japanese version.
Could you recommend some books to me?

Doris, an idea is also to re-read books you already read but in English so that knowing the context will help you greatly. An idea is also to read side by side in the two languages.
1 x

Doris
White Belt

Postby Doris » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Tristano wrote:
Doris wrote:Hello, Ani. I like reading and reading books on different types. Such as literary works, Japanese suspense novels and so on. I have read A Brief History of Humankind, which is wroted by Yuval Noah Harari . Lean In wroted by Sheryl Sandberg. And I am reading Nonviolent Communication wroted by Marshall B.Rosenberg now. Most of the books I read is Chinese version. Some is Japanese version.
Could you recommend some books to me?

Doris, an idea is also to re-read books you already read but in English so that knowing the context will help you greatly. An idea is also to read side by side in the two languages.

Good idea! I will try them. Tristano, Thank you~
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue May 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Doris wrote:
tarvos wrote:你好Doris.

我现在在学习中文,可以帮助你学习英文。 最好的是你看很多书,但一定不太难的,而且也不太简单的。最重要的事找一本合适的书,让你提高你的水平,但是也让你明白书里面的故事。我的问题跟你的一样:我现在也不会看中文书,但是会说的时候还可以,虽然有时候我的意思也不清楚。

我想问你一下: 你最喜欢的书是什么种的? 英文老师经常推荐太难得书,都是文学作品,那如果是这样的话,人人一定不马上了解,也对看书不感兴趣。 我看最好的办法是找你最爱种的树,这样你有喜欢又练习,后来,越学习越好的水平。 你有什么感觉呢?你怎么看?

加油!

Hi,Tarvos. Your Chinese is so good. I can understand all of the words you want to say. You adviced me to read a lot of books which is not too difficult, but not too easy. I can't agree more with you. Firstly I need to find a suitable book to start my English reading. I like different types books, such as literary works, Japanese suspense novels etc. I like Higashino Keigo's books, he is a Japanese author. Some of his works have been adapted for the screen. Nowadays, I am reading Nonviolent Communication wroted by Marshall B.Rosenberg, which is Chinese version. Do you have any books to recommend to me?
By the way, I think you've learned a lot of Chinese words, but you need to pay more attention to grammar. And keep writing in Chinese.

差得远呢,我的中文还有境况进步。 另外,我在中国学了中文,所以我大体上会说口语。上语法还有很多问题,你说的没错。

你可以试一试看Lee Child, 他的书不那么难,也很有趣。这个跟你的日本惊悚片差不多。 这本书不太聪明的,但是很容易看,所以可以进步进的很快。
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (0)

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Wed May 17, 2017 8:19 am

Doris wrote:Nowadays, I am reading Nonviolent Communication wroted by Marshall B.Rosenberg

I actually love Rosenberg and his book so much, because it actually works! Every time I have worked hard and applied what he teaches in the book, it works SO WELL! I should re-read it again. I still have my copy I bought a few years ago. I've read it 3-4 times I think.
0 x
Please ignore my English, elsewise be kind!

Doris
White Belt

Postby Doris » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:54 am

I've been slacking off recently, and haven't written anything here.This is not a good thing.
Actually, I've been worried about my job lately, I'm not satisfied with my present job, and want to change my job. But I don't have a clear goal, and that makes me uneasy. Maybe I should make a list to check out what's the problem. Why I want to change my work? What I really want to do? and What I can do now? What I need to improve? And how? I need to change my mood, do something positive.
By the way, my little brother and I are going to take the BEC test this winter. I need to work harder at English for that.
And, I start reading The Secret Garden this days.
2 x

Doris
White Belt

Postby Doris » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:11 am

Last Friday Evening, I took part in the English Salon organized by the Nanshan Library. The topic was “Science Fiction”.
I rarely read this kind of books or movies, so before I attend it I have search some information from Internet.
Started off in groups of 3~5people, then introduce ourselves briefly. The host Ben gave us a few questions, and we began discussing.
What’s interesting is that I find my pronunciation is not as bad as I thought. A girl tried her best to express her opinions about Science Fiction in the words she knew.That encouraged me. When I open my mouth, I realized I’m not so nervous anymore. That was a good start.
5 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:35 am

Well done, Doris!
I am glad you had courage to speak English. I have full confidence in you, no doubt you have talent in language. I hope you have that faith yourself too.
Sorry, I have been absent here for a long time. Thanks for reminding me to write English log here. That means a lot. :-)
1 x

Doris
White Belt

Postby Doris » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:23 am

10 July,2017
Last Friday Evening, I joined in the Nanshan Library's English Salon, which is always hold on Friday's Eve. The topic is Public Safety. We chatted for a while about the kidnapping of Chinese girl Zhang Yingying who is study in the UIUC. It is the hot topic this days. We discussed whether the regulation of gun is a good thing for Chinese people, how can we protect ourselves from danger, if we saw someone is in danger how could we give he or she a help? Everyone had different viewpoints, it's very interesting.
1 x

Doris
White Belt

Postby Doris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

11 Sep, 2017

This two months I didn't write any words here. But I am still learning English everyday.
I spend at least half an hour practicing my spoken English, and reading some English articles everyday.
"liulishuo" helps me a lot. I will keep using it.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”