Batur's Language Log (English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Batur's Language Log (English)

Postby Iversen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Batur wrote:I have never seen any volcano before. Are there many volcanoes in Indonesia? Won't it be dangerous to see volcanoes? It sounds like adventure to see volcanoes!
I've never been abroad yet. Maybe Indonesia will be my first destination outside China. what do you think of Indonesia? which part do you like or dislike?

There are lots of volcanoes in Indonesia, and much of the time one or another of them will be emitting fumes and ash - like Sinabung on Sumatra in April this year. Small eruptions may be a problem in a certain area, but outside that area you can just travel around and have a good time. I have looked down into an active volcano in Nicaragua (Masaya), and I have been close to others that continually emitted smoke - for instance in Tanzania. However there are also big volcanoes in Indonesia. If a large volcano has an eruption then not only the Indonesians will feel the effect.

The volcano Krakatoa between Sumatra and Java exploded in 1883 and left just fragments in the sea, but it polluted the atmosphere all over the planet and caused lower temperatures worldwide. The left-overs have however growing into a new volcano called Anak Krakatoa (son of Krakatoa), and right now there are signs that Anak Krakatoa may cause an eruption as big as that of Krakatoa.

But that shouldn't keep you from visiting Indonesia.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:49 am

Iversen wrote:There are lots of volcanoes in Indonesia, and much of the time one or another of them will be emitting fumes and ash - like Sinabung on Sumatra in April this year. Small eruptions may be a problem in a certain area, but outside that area you can just travel around and have a good time. I have looked down into an active volcano in Nicaragua (Masaya), and I have been close to others that continually emitted smoke - for instance in Tanzania. However there are also big volcanoes in Indonesia. If a large volcano has an eruption then not only the Indonesians will feel the effect.

The volcano Krakatoa between Sumatra and Java exploded in 1883 and left just fragments in the sea, but it polluted the atmosphere all over the planet and caused lower temperatures worldwide. The left-overs have however growing into a new volcano called Anak Krakatoa (son of Krakatoa), and right now there are signs that Anak Krakatoa may cause an eruption as big as that of Krakatoa.

But that shouldn't keep you from visiting Indonesia.

Iversen, thanks for telling me the volcanoes in Indonesia! Besides tourism, can these volcanoes be used for local people?

I read an article that explains the importance of intensive listening for learning a language. The argument is very persuasive. The way is to listen the short audio/video repeatedly, and write down every word you heard. Knowing the gist of the content is not enough, I think I should try to know every word of the content. It is hard, definitely. But through this way, I could push myself pay more attention to the construct of sentences, the tiny difference of grammar usage, etc. I browsed though the Youtube, then I found this video list, Learn Economics in One minute It's very suitable for me, and I could learn some economic knowledge too. Two birds one stone, awesome! I would download the video as mp3 audio, listen to it repeatedly. And write down the content, listen again to correct the error. And later to compare the subtitles. There is no official subtitle available, but I found the auto-subtitle by Youtube is great.

16th, July 2017
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 am

Batur wrote:Iversen, thanks for telling me the volcanoes in Indonesia! Besides tourism, can these volcanoes be used for local people?

Batur, I can answer this question: geothermal energy from volcanoes is used to produce electricity in several areas in Indonesia. Indonesia is the world's third largest producer of geothermal energy. Still, it only provides maybe about 1-2% of their electricity. They plan to increase that.

Last year in Sumatra I saw a geothermal power station from the outside - it was not possible to visit it but I did bathe in the hot springs next to it with many Indonesians enjoying the sulphuric water.

Ash and lava from the volcanoes also enriches the soil which benefits farmers. Of course, occasionally, farms are destroyed and farmers killed by eruptions.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 am

Adrianslont wrote:Batur, I can answer this question: geothermal energy from volcanoes is used to produce electricity in several areas in Indonesia. Indonesia is the world's third largest producer of geothermal energy. Still, it only provides maybe about 1-2% of their electricity. They plan to increase that.

Last year in Sumatra I saw a geothermal power station from the outside - it was not possible to visit it but I did bathe in the hot springs next to it with many Indonesians enjoying the sulphuric water.

Ash and lava from the volcanoes also enriches the soil which benefits farmers. Of course, occasionally, farms are destroyed and farmers killed by eruptions.

Thank you, Adrianslont! Glad to know these knowledge, according to your words, I suprisely found that along with Indonesia, USA and Philippines are the top three producers of geothermal energy. Because of the climate change, volcanoes will be more active, I suppose.
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:14 pm

这段时间事情很多,一直没有更新语言日志。不过,每天都有看英语视频。英语流利说和百词斩这两个手机应用也一直在用。虽然学习效率不是很高,但是也没有停止。<Born a Crime>还没有看完,这周看Wooy Alen的<我心深处>(中文版)。

上个周末参加了一个Hackerthon,认识了很多有趣的人。特别是Hinesh和Sally,认识他们非常开心。

我这几天在思考一个问题,我很久没有用中文写东西了,我是不是应该多练习写作?英语能力还是有限,很多想法我还没有能力用英语表达出来。而写作是我一直以来希望提高的,我不想因为学习英语而荒废了我的写作能力。
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 pm

你好Batur!

我觉得你的英文写作真的还可以,但是还有小错可以好了。(不过,这件事情跟我的中文一样)。 那,怎么办? 我觉得你的方法还好,应该要经常写。这个是最重要的。我们的经验判断我们会不会写作。但是,我肯定明白你的意思,说母语的话可以将事情的更自然。我跟你差不多,说中文的时候,我经常担心我说的对不对。不过,我觉得你的英文已经很厉害,越来越好!

出来自然的说法需要很多时间,也很多练习。我现在学了中文两个年,我也还觉得水平还不够。你放心吧,我们在这里都能听懂你的意思。

虽然我很喜欢你用中文写。在这里都在写英文,我觉得很无聊。我的感觉是我们都在学习外国语言,所以应该用它们。
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Elenia » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Batur wrote:I was wondering why this forum is so old-fashion, and the new post should be in the front page like twitter so that people who want to follow the update can easily catch. And when people leave messages on author's post, it should have email reminder. These are good features, but I try to guess it's because the owner of this site want to keep it simple, and focus the language itself.

If you click on 'Active Posts', you will be presented with the threads that have been updated the most recently. If you click 'Unread Posts', you will get the same list, but the threads that you have read all the way to the end will be absent. I find that extremely useful, it is the only way I browse the forum. I use 'Active Posts' when I am on my phone and don't want to log in.

You can get email updates on threads by subscribing to them. At the top and bottom of each thread there is a spanner symbol next to the 'Post Reply' button. From there you can subscribe to a topic. If you want to receive a reply notification on the forum, but not by email, you can bookmark the topic instead.

I hope that helps!
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:58 pm

tarvos wrote:...我现在学了中文两个年,我也还觉得水平还不够。

Tarvos, 你好!

我感到非常到惊讶,你才学习两年,你的中文水平就已经这么好了。你一定是有语言天赋,我很羡慕你。:P
关于用外语来写语言日志(language log), 我赞同你的观点。我也鼓励你多用中文来写语言日志,我们不仅在学习语言,也在使用语言。
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Batur » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Elenia wrote:
If you click on 'Active Posts', you will be presented with the threads that have been updated the most recently. If you click 'Unread Posts', you will get the same list, but the threads that you have read all the way to the end will be absent. I find that extremely useful, it is the only way I browse the forum. I use 'Active Posts' when I am on my phone and don't want to log in.

You can get email updates on threads by subscribing to them. At the top and bottom of each thread there is a spanner symbol next to the 'Post Reply' button. From there you can subscribe to a topic. If you want to receive a reply notification on the forum, but not by email, you can bookmark the topic instead.

I hope that helps!

Hi, Elenia!
Thank you! It's very helpful! I subscribed some topics, receiving their updates can motivate me to write as well.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Batur wrote:
tarvos wrote:...我现在学了中文两个年,我也还觉得水平还不够。

Tarvos, 你好!

我感到非常到惊讶,你才学习两年,你的中文水平就已经这么好了。你一定是有语言天赋,我很羡慕你。:P
关于用外语来写语言日志(language log), 我赞同你的观点。我也鼓励你多用中文来写语言日志,我们不仅在学习语言,也在使用语言。

没有天赋,别要羡慕!你不嫌弃!我还说错说的很常啊!

我的意思是,练习真的是最重要的,然后我觉得应该有心心! 没有心心的话,也没有成功! 这个是特别重要的,又能力又认真,也可能走得很远!
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Language logs”