Batur's Language Log (English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Re: Batur's Language Log (English)

Postby Batur » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I came to Manila yesterday. It's a very modern place, the BGC is the most prosperous area here. I had a very wonderful mean last night. The burger was very tasty. Most people here are christians, so I was wake up by the christian song this morning. There's a church just below my building. My colleagues showed me around, I got familia with the area I lived, and I had very good meals. Not sure if I could get custom to the food here, but so far so good. It's still a challenge for me to understand Filipinos' English, but I think I will get used to it gradually. Conversations with Filipinos today is quite awkward for me, not just listening, my speaking is not good enough for me to express my ideas. I still have a lot to improve.

I will be going to work tomorrow. I'm very excited to see all my colleagues in the office. There will be a party at tomorrow's night, all employees will show up.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

我看了你去了斐鲁滨。你在哪里去工作还是旅游?然后呢,你打算多少时间住在马尼拉?
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 am

tarvos wrote:我看了你去了斐鲁滨。你在哪里去工作还是旅游?然后呢,你打算多少时间住在马尼拉?

Hi, Tarvos! 元旦快乐!

是的,我现在在马尼拉,菲律宾的首都。我来这边工作。我来这边两个多星期了,我会在春节前回中国。
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:51 am

I am in a cafe of BGC area, Taguig City, Manila, Philippines. It's the first day of 2018. I am enjoying the coffee here, reading a book called <contagious> . It's my tradition to write down my new year resolutions. Though I didn't do very well in 2017, I still want to keep writing down what I expect in 2018.

Health

I am getting fat after graduation from university. I didn't give up running, but I ran less than I should, and also the eatting habit becomes irregular. I have to do exercise regularly and eat more healthy. Not just running, I would try to do more body training. I am lucky to have friends like Sergy and Haowei, who always remind me to keep running. Last year, I finished two marathons, Wuxi and Shenzhen Baoan marathon. I hope I could have three marathons in 2018.

Work

I am working in a startup company here in Manila. This is a small team, we have a big goal. It's no doubt very hard in the beginning, but there's a very good oppotunity. If our product goes well, there will be huge rewards. I am passionate in this job. So I don't care about working overtime, and sacrifice my personal time. After freelance job in Shenzhen and this oversea job, I treasure freedom very much. I am lucky to have freedom to do what I love.

Relationships

Last night, after countdown, We had a gathering. Halin and his wife Viky, alone with chef Billy shared their opinions about relationships. It's so important that both can understand and trust each other. They may have different interests and hobbies, but they love to communicate with each other, share with each other. Halin and Vicky have a happy relationship and a lovely boy. I want a relationshiop like theirs in 2018. :)

English

I thought my English is okay, but after two weeks staying here. I knew it's far way from okay. They can understand me when my colleagues and I have conversations, but it's very inefficient. I need a lot of practice before I could express my ideas fluently. Also it's important to enlarge vocabulary. I want to make more interesting English speaking friends, read more English books. Keep writing English articles.

Books
2 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),English(beginner)

Postby Dandelion » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:04 am

Batur wrote:I am in a cafe of BGC area, Taguig City, Manila, Philippines. It's the first day of 2018. I am enjoying the coffee here, reading a book called <contagious> . It's my tradition to write down my new year resolutions. Though I didn't do very well in 2017, I still want to keep writing down what I expect in 2018.

Health

I am getting fat after graduation from university. I didn't give up running, but I ran less than I should, and also the eatting habit becomes irregular. I have to do exercise regularly and eat more healthy. Not just running, I would try to do more body training. I am lucky to have friends like Sergy and Haowei, who always remind me to keep running. Last year, I finished two marathons, Wuxi and Shenzhen Baoan marathon. I hope I could have three marathons in 2018.

Work

I am working in a startup company here in Manila. This is a small team, we have a big goal. It's no doubt very hard in the beginning, but there's a very good oppotunity. If our product goes well, there will be huge rewards. I am passionate in this job. So I don't care about working overtime, and sacrifice my personal time. After freelance job in Shenzhen and this oversea job, I treasure freedom very much. I am lucky to have freedom to do what I love.

Relationships

Last night, after countdown, We had a gathering. Halin and his wife Viky, alone with chef Billy shared their opinions about relationships. It's so important that both can understand and trust each other. They may have different interests and hobbies, but they love to communicate with each other, share with each other. Halin and Vicky have a happy relationship and a lovely boy. I want a relationshiop like theirs in 2018. :)

English

I thought my English is okay, but after two weeks staying here. I knew it's far way from okay. They can understand me when my colleagues and I have conversations, but it's very inefficient. I need a lot of practice before I could express my ideas fluently. Also it's important to enlarge vocabulary. I want to make more interesting English speaking friends, read more English books. Keep writing English articles.

It's ok.it's a new start in 2018.If you keeping learning,your English would be improved. And I agree with that the vocabulary is important.I think that the vocabulary is the basis of learning English.

Come on,batur!
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am

Dandelion wrote:Come on,batur!

:-) Haha, Thank you! I think you want to say "加油", I have found this https://www.italki.com/question/28490

She's right...加油does not have a specific translation...you have to go with your feeling on this one.
e.g. During a competition, if you in the crowd and cheering for your country:
Come on England! Come on England!
for a person:
Come on "person"
(只有男人可以说) Come on my son! << man to man

e.g. If you are telling someone to 加油 as they have a task to do:
Give it your best/try your best
You can do it
Give it your all
I know you can do it
Break a leg
Don't give up
Soldier on
Put your back in to it (only say this when they look like they are starting to get lazy!)
Put some elbow grease in to it (only say this when they look like they are starting to get lazy!)
Get in there!
And many many more that I can't think of right now!
REMEMBER, when you say these, you have to add some tone!!!! otherwise you sound stupid :-(

Men can add "my son" to pretty much ALL of these: "get in there my son!" "you can do it my son"
Don't ask why.....we just can :-) ladies cannot! hehe
for ladies a man can say "love" or "darling": "Get in there love" but not always

Hope that helps!

and could you open this link? https://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... 130AAEoXUN

hahaha! in Singapore, being multi-cultural, multi-languages, we always say 'add oil! add oil' as a literal translation of this..

加油 or jia you means all the best! or work hard!

or gambatte in japanese.. same meaning...

so in a baseball game, just go "WOOHOO! [team team name] !!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!"

Just "Add Oil", :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x

Dandelion
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),English(beginner)

Postby Dandelion » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:03 am

e.g. If you are telling someone to 加油 as they have
Get in there!
And many many more that I can't think of right now!
REMEMBER, when you say these, you have to add some tone!!!! otherwise you sound stupid :-(

Men can add "my son" to pretty much ALL of these: "get in there my son!" "you can do it my son"
Don't ask why.....we just can :-) ladies cannot! hehe
for ladies a man can say "love" or "darling": "Get in there love" but not always

Hope that helps!

Just "Add Oil", :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah.it's helpful to me.Thank you for your links.I learn about that it has so much meanings.And it's so funny. :D
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 am

Time flies, it's been a month since I came to Philippines. I am not new here any more, I learn a lot in this month. I don't know where to start. I have attended three toastmasters meetings, finish a half marathon. Make a lot of friends, mostly are Filipinos and Malaysians. Their views and lifestyles are very different from mine. Some are good, some are not good. I am not the one who is easily get persuaded, and also I am very curious to learn. A respectful writer, Yuan yue had said that traveling will make a man become better. I agree. I think I am becoming better because there are a lot of things I can learn from Filipinos. They are very polite, positive towards life. They can endure difficulties and still be happy for what they have.

I am surprised to know that all waiters in Olivia restaurants are college graduated. They have good educational background, they working hard as waiters and waitresses. It's hard to get a job in Philippines. Darwin, a waiter in restaurant, we had a conversation the other day. He told me his situation. He has an engineering degree, but he cannot find a job related to this, so he worked as a waiter. As long as there's a job, it's good, he told me. He is enjoying his work, very happy and patient to serve the customers. He would take the menu in the outside, smile to the passengers, hope to attract them go inside. He learned some mandarin from me, like "你好","晚上好" so that he could make Chinese customers happy when they are dining. He told me that he had to take care of his grandmother after he's off duty. His parents lived abroad, he is the only son, which is rare in Philippines, people here tend to have many kids, because it's not advocated to use contraception and abortion is forbidden.

It's also very surprised to me that divorce is not allowed here. So many couples live together, but they're not married. Once married, it's not allowed to get divorced. The policy leads to many single mothers. I knew about 10 single mothers in this month.

On the other hand, traveling can make people become worse. I draw this conclusion when I chatted with some Chinese here. I will write this down later.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm

I am much busier than I was in China. Though I am new to this country, I don't have time to explore. Most of the time, I am working in the office. It's fine for me. Because I hope the project we're doing can become huge. I know that it'll be hard, and honestly I am not a very positive person now. But still I'll try my best to work.

Since three years ago, I have been spending most of my time in English and programming. Now I have chance to join this team, combine English and programming, I am enjoying it. :-)

It's not just about coding, I have to learn how to work in a team as a leader. It's totally new for me. It's very challenging but alone the way, I make mistakes, I learn, and I group up. Batman told me that in a new environment, it's easier to keep a habit. I agree. Though I have very little personal time, I'll try my best.
4 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm

I planed to run with Jam this morning, but I overslept. I didn't get up until 8am. I felt sorry and called her for sorry. Later at noon, I treated her in restaurant. She also agreed that the Burger was very delicious. She shared with me her experience. She used to work as a waiter in cruise ship when she was young. And because of the work in cruise ship, she went to a lot of countries in Europe. Later she learned dance and got a certificate for teaching. She taught dancing several years until 5 years ago, she became a saleswoman for real estate. She is planing to go to North Europe this November. It's 25 days trip, she has already booked the ticket, and will travel alone.

I am so amazed to hear such different life experiences. She's now about 40 years old, she hasn't got married. People here don't take marriage as serious as we Chinese do.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”