Batur's Language Log (English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Re: Batur's Language Log (English)

Postby Batur » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 pm

tarvos wrote:我的意思是,练习真的是最重要的,然后我觉得应该有心心! 没有心心的话,也没有成功! 这个是特别重要的,又能力又认真,也可能走得很远!

嗯嗯,我完全同意。学习语言是一个长期的过程,一条很长的路。练习、用心、认真才能走的很远。

I keep reading <Born a Crime> tonight, there are so many new words for me. I didn't look all of them up. It's annoying to read when looking new words up frequently. I felt it's okay to ignore some words. When reading this book, I was curious to know more about South Africa. This continent is so mysterious to me. Both culture and natural scenery are attractive. But Africa is really far away. When will the cost of traveling become low enough, young people can experience different culture, learn and respect diverse cultures. The world will become better.
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 pm

I am a big fan of Fang. He has a huge influence on me, from his science books as well as his poem. I listened his podcast tonight, and I recommended his podcast to Batman. And then I remembered he had given English speech publicly when he accepted awards of Nature John Maddox Prize and ACFE. So I found them on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmoxhH8MGV8.

His English has strong Chinese accent. Batman said he could not understand his English without subtitles. But actually the audience all understood him and laughed loudly during his speech.

I think I should pay more attention on reading and writing, rather than making great effort to make my spoken English sound more native.

1st, August 2017
1 x

Batman
White Belt
Languages: Ukrainian (native), Russian (native), English (intermediate), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby Batman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Batur wrote: Batman said he could not understand his English without subtitles. But actually the audience all understood him and laughed loudly during his speech.

I couldn't understand him at all at the beginning. But then, later, I adjusted to his accent and it became much more comprehensible.
Your English is so much better, so I was shocked at first that such public personality has such a bad English (and anyway my Chinese is much worse than his English).
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm

I watched an interview of Yang Zhenning, the Chinese Noble prize laureate. When he and another Chinese physicist got the Noble Prize in 1957, he was still Chinese. In 1964, he became American citizen after staying in the US about 20 years. But in 2015, he gave up American nationality, and became a Chinese citizen again. Now he's teaching physics in Tsinghua University.

His interview was quiet instructive. He compared the different education system between China and the US. He said young people should get the education in China before graduate university. Students in China are well trained, because they do a lot of exercise than counterparts in The US, While US can offer creative and innovative environment, which is very rare in China. During the interview, professor Yang told some anecdotes of famous scientists, including Einstein and Fermi.

Professor Yang's English is great, I wanted to watch his video at the beginning because I wanted to compare his English to Fang's English. It seems that Fang is lack of language talent. lol

2nd, August 2017

I knew my writing has many mistakes, if you had found any, please point them out, I'd appreciated.
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Zuckerberg had given a speech in Harward University commencement recently. He mentioned a course called CS121. I heard such odd computer science course names several times. Out of curiosity, Last night I searched it on the Youtube. Casually glanced over, I found CS162 of UC Berkeley. That was operating system course. After watching about 40 minutes, I got bored.

MOOC, Massive Open Online Course, is such a wonderful idea. I still remembered when I read the article about MOOC before 2015, I was very excited. I can't help imagining learning great courses from top universities of the world. I registered many courses, after 2 years passed, I didn't finish one. It was frustrating. Discipline is hard. Though it's very difficult, I am optimistic about online education, it is the future.

Not sure if I will continue CS162, but surely I will make use of the online resources to improve myself.

3rd, August 2017
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Batur wrote:I watched an interview with Yang Zhenning, the Chinese Noble prize laureate. When he and another Chinese physicist got the Noble Prize in 1957, he was still Chinese. In 1964, he became an American citizen after staying in the US about 20 years. But in 2015, he gave up his American nationality, and became a Chinese citizen again. Now he's teaching physics in Tsinghua University.

His interview was quite/very instructive. He compared the different education systems in China and the US. He said young people should get their education in China before graduate university. Students in China are well trained, because they do a lot more exercises than their counterparts in the US, whereas US can offer a creative and innovative environment, which is very rare in China. During the interview, professor Yang told the audience some anecdotes about famous scientists, including Einstein and Fermi.

Professor Yang's English is great, I wanted to watch his video at the beginning because I wanted to compare his English to Fang's English. It seems that Fang lacks language talent. lol

2nd, August 2017

I knew my writing has many mistakes, if you had found any, please point them out, I'd appreciated.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 pm

tarvos wrote:
Batur wrote:I watched an interview with Yang Zhenning, the Chinese Noble prize laureate. When he and another Chinese physicist got the Noble Prize in 1957, he was still Chinese. In 1964, he became an American citizen after staying in the US about 20 years. But in 2015, he gave up his American nationality, and became a Chinese citizen again. Now he's teaching physics in Tsinghua University.

His interview was quite/very instructive. He compared the different education systems in China and the US. He said young people should get their education in China before graduate university. Students in China are well trained, because they do a lot more exercises than their counterparts in the US, whereas US can offer a creative and innovative environment, which is very rare in China. During the interview, professor Yang told the audience some anecdotes about famous scientists, including Einstein and Fermi.

Professor Yang's English is great, I wanted to watch his video at the beginning because I wanted to compare his English to Fang's English. It seems that Fang lacks language talent. lol

2nd, August 2017

Tarvos, 太感谢你!你的纠正对我非常有帮助,谢谢!
0 x

Doris
White Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),Japanese(N1),English(intermediate)

Postby Doris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 am

Batur wrote:I watched an interview of Yang Zhenning, the Chinese Noble prize laureate. When he and another Chinese physicist got the Noble Prize in 1957, he was still Chinese. In 1964, he became American citizen after staying in the US about 20 years. But in 2015, he gave up American nationality, and became a Chinese citizen again. Now he's teaching physics in Tsinghua University.

His interview was quiet instructive. He compared the different education system between China and the US. He said young people should get the education in China before graduate university. Students in China are well trained, because they do a lot of exercise than counterparts in The US, While US can offer creative and innovative environment, which is very rare in China. During the interview, professor Yang told some anecdotes of famous scientists, including Einstein and Fermi.

Batur, could you send me the video of this interview?
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:42 pm

After leaving this forum for so long, I am trying to come back and write my language logs here. One reason is that I introduced my friend to join this forum, and I think it's a good chance for me to come back writing here. Another reason is that I am going to Philippines next week. I will have a lot of opportunities using English. I think I can learn a lot when communicating with my coworkers in Philippines. Then I will have a lot materials to write here. And besides language learning, it's also a good way for me to write down my experiences in Philippines.

This is my first time to Philippines. I'm really looking forward to my adventures. Are there any learners here in Philippines?

11th December, 2017
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Doris wrote:
Batur, could you send me the video of this interview?

Doris, I remembered send you the link, you could write down your feelings about this videos. :-)
It seems that you hadn't use this forum for a long time either. Hope you can see this post and keep writing language log here.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”