Easily_Confused learning German and Mandarin

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Easily_confused
Languages: English (N), German (A2) Mandarin (beginner)

Easily_Confused learning German and Mandarin

Postby Easily_confused » Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Starting this off mid-year as I've just come back to language learning. Was a ropey B1 in German (except speaking which was dreadful) and A1 in Chinese (spent 5 months over there so could previously function). Starting back, I'm around A1 now in German and only a bit beyond beginner in Chinese. My long term aim would be to get to B1 in both- with B2 at some point waaaaay in the future. By Christmas, I want to be a solid A2 in both. That's approximately 200 hours each... This is a big slow down compared to my previous goal setting but hopefully more achievable. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of my daily efforts by type. I want to log weekly to keep the accountability going.

Main Resources:
German- Assimil, Hugo in 3 months & Advanced. Tim und Struppi comics. Slow German podcasts.
Chinese- Teach Yourself Beginners Chinese, Assimil, DeFrancis Beginners Reader. Films and tv from Youtube.

Techniques:
Assimil, Shadowing, Scriptorium, Telenovela, comic books, text book exercises

Current Written Ability:
Mein Name is Lorna und ich bin 36 Jahre alt. Ich wohne in Perth in Ost-Schottland. Ich mag filme, fernsehen und laufen. Ich bin arbeitlos. Ich wohne in eine Wohnung mit 2 Schlaffzimmer und einem Garten. Ich habe 2 Haustieren. 1 Hund namens Benny und 1 Katze namens Brody.

你好. 我叫 Lorna. 我很好. 我工作了在中国. 我爱中国. 再见!

Hopefully the above will be ridiculously basic when I come back in December...

And I WILL have at least 1 regular language exchange functioning by November!
2 x

Easily_confused
Languages: English (N), German (A2) Mandarin (beginner)

Re: Easily_Confused learning German and Mandarin

Postby Easily_confused » Sun May 14, 2017 11:06 am

I've ditched the Chinese already after watching tons of Steve Kaufman's and Luca's videos on youtube. I love Chinese but I realise I need to get serious and bed that German in before I start the Chinese. What I'm now doing is 2 hours a day minimum. So that's book learning and extra assimil/L2 podcasts. Plus films dubbed in German but I'm trying to make that in addition to the 2 hours.

I'm getting little words and phrases pop up and disappear again which I assume is positive. Watched Ghostbusters dubbed which I enjoyed. Watched the start of Ghostbusters 2- more of a struggle as it's not so good.

So my totals for the week are:

Assimil- 1 hr 40, Hugo- 1hr 35, Reading- extensive and intensive- 3 hr 10, media- 2 hr 30, grammar- 2 hrs 35 = total 11 hrs 20. Bit short of 14 but I started the week jointly with Chinese.

Goals for the week: to hit 14 hours. To finish Ghostbusters 2 dubbed with subtitles. To start writing again and get my worked checked here.

Tchuess!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”