Jim's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Re: Jim's all new French log (Sept 2018 to Dec 2019)

Postby Jim » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Week 1 recap

Well, if we’re allowed to be flexible with the definition of a week, then my objectives were met, save that I need to do more work on the long term plan. Reading is going well and I’m recognising some of the more recently learned verbs in my current book. It’s nice to see some immediate reinforcement of new vocabulary. For example, “tressaillir” came up twice today, which has really helped cement it in my memory.

Not much else to report and I’ve run out of time for today, so I’ll leave the full plan under wraps for the moment and just set out next week’s checklist:

Week 2

• continue to develop a detailed plan
  • reduce unseen cards to 750
  • 5 hours audio books or podcasts
  • read 70 pages
0 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate), Russian (beginner)

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Week 2 recap

Not a bad week. Objectives on the whole achieved, but work has to take priority and it’s been busy. Verb of the week « jalonner ». Jalonner un claim; jalonner une route; jalonner un text avec quelques faits. Which also leads you to the noun « un jalon ». Not much time for writing (and already a day late) so will leave it there for the moment.

Week 3 plan

• reduce unseen cards to 500
  • read 70 pages
0 x

Jim
Orange Belt

Postby Jim » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Week 3 recap

Wow, that week went quickly. Anki suffered a bit despite the fact that I started several days with the intention of getting back in the saddle. I did, however, buy a new laptop, which somehow I'd convinced myself was the sole reason that I've not been progressing as quickly as I could. It's fair to say that it may help, but I don't quite think it is the holy grail of language learning that I've been missing over the past few years.

In sum, as my school teachers always used to say "could do better" and "pull your socks up!"

Week 4 plan

• reduce unseen cards to 500
  • read 70 pages
0 x

Jim
Orange Belt

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Week 4 recap

Once again, I have reached my objectives for the week if you are generous with the definition of “week”. It’s interesting to note that if you concentrate on learning lots of verbs you get a vocabulary boost when you see and hear other words with a similar derivation. This is happening quite often now; for example this week I noticed the words “un cahot” - a jolt (recognised from cahoter) and “une éclosion” - a hatching (recognised from éclore). I remember Robierre made a similar comment on the forum with the verb aboyer and word aboiement. What’s great is that you get extra vocabulary with no effort, it reinforces the verb, and it feels great to understand something by inferring the meaning of words.

Week 5 plan

Yet more Anki verbs - reduce to 250
Continue reading and listening
Create October plan/objectives
2 x

Jim
Orange Belt

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Weeks 5,6 and 7

Weeks 5,6 and 7 have all disappeared in a flash. I've continued to read fairly consistently and I've returned to some old favourite podcasts. What I have noticed is an improvement in aural comprehension. One thing that I don't think is discussed much on the forum is the importance of actively listening. I spent a couple of months listening to audiobooks on my commute, but I found my mind wandering much more than I do when listening to podcasts. I know that actively listening takes a good deal of mental effort and there is a significant difference between my ability to concentrate in the morning on the way to work than in the evening, but it is clear that just having the radio/podcast/tv/audiobook on is not enough.

My work and home life at the moment leave little time for sitting down and studying for extended periods. My focus for this next month is to use the little time that I have more effectively.

A couple more words from verbs that I've noted recently: un clignotant - an indicator (car light); un métis / une métisse - someone of mixed-race.

Week 8 plan

Finally finish the new verb cards on Anki
Start to establish a daily routine studying with Grammaire Progressive du Français (Perfectionnement)
Start to compile material following Robin MacPherson's technique referred to in my post of 3 June 2018
Do more reading
1 x

Jim
Orange Belt

Jim's log - back to basics

Postby Jim » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 am

It's been a while. French has stalled horribly and I've struggled with motivation. It's fair to say that work and home life have been hectic to say the least and work in particular has been very intense recently. Over December I'm going to try to rebalance everything and that means starting gently and doing some things differently.

• First, my objective is to rebuild the habit by starting to studying 20 minutes a day on work days.
  • Second, I'm going to spend 20 minutes a day on work days studying Spanish. I always intended to return to Spanish and I hope that this will assist with general motivation.
  • Third, listen to French audio to work and Spanish on the way home (approx 40mins either way).
  • Fourth, reading and listening in French when I can fit it in at weekends and evenings.

There's so much more I want to do, but I know if I start too heavy I'll crash again. I've come to realise that I really have no timescale to stick to - I know the level I want to achieve in my languages, but frankly if I'm enjoying the journey it doesn't matter if it takes two or twenty years. If I'm not enoying the journey, it's not worth doing it at all.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Jim's log

Postby Carmody » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:51 pm

but frankly if I'm enjoying the journey it doesn't matter if it takes two or twenty years. If I'm not enoying the journey, it's not worth doing it at all.
To which I absolutely agree!
1 x

Jim
Orange Belt

Steady Progress

Postby Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Following my "hard reset" last week, I'm pleased to say that I exceeded my targets. Not by a huge amount, but it was encouraging enough. I spent the week working my way through a few sections of Grammaire Progressive Du Français - Niveau Perfectionnement. Steady progress. One grammar rule that I hadn't fully appreciated is the agreement of the past participle with the actual subject of verbs conjugated with être. So where 'vous' signifies an individual, it accords with sex but is singular. 'Nous' can also signify an individual (like the 'royal we' I suppose) and would accord with sex but is also singular. Similar rules apply for 'on'. The rules are better described here and here. Not sure how this subtlety passed me by, but hey ho, it's nice to make progress.
3 x

Jim
Orange Belt

Still going

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:50 pm

It’s been a bad week for recording what I’ve been doing, but it feels like I’ve covered some good ground despite work encroaching on my study time again. I’ve spent quite a bit of time practising conjugation (French and Spanish) using the tool on the Listening Practice website. It’s the best one I’ve found and the listening practice tool itself is really good too.

I’ve also been searching for a good tool for practising noun gender in French. So far I’ve found nothing much of use, so I’m making an Excel spreadsheet using the information in Glanville Price’s A Comprehensive French Grammar. If I find time, I’ll write a basic macro to drill the rules and exceptions.

Looking forward to another solid week.
3 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Re: Jim's log

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm

The Listening Practice site's conjugation practice tool is great. I started using it back when the person who made it posted it on Duolingo a few years ago. I don't use it as regularly as I should though. I have it on my Chrome bookmark bar to reminds me to practice now and then--that counts for something, right? :D

Unfortunately I don't know of anything like that for practicing grammatical gender either. I just try to read and write in French as much as I can, as well as drill vocabulary on Memrise, which inevitably includes some nouns.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Return to “Language logs”