我是蝙蝠侠 (and learning Mandarin)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Batman
White Belt
Languages: Ukrainian (native), Russian (native), English (intermediate), Mandarin (beginner)

Re: 我是蝙蝠侠 (and learning Mandarin)

Postby Batman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Again the same story, - writing a post, waiting too long, pressing "Submit" and the post disappears. Annoying.
Anyway, Memrise, some shadowing ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5-ZAAezUQ )
0 x

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Postby Ezy Ryder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 pm

我也经过这样问题。因此我预览或留言以前,先复制整段落—有备无患呢
I've been through this as well. That's why I'll usually ctrl+A ctrl+C before clicking "preview" or "submit". Sometimes I'll even write a draft in a word processor first hh

PS I'm still learning Mandarin, so there may be some mistakes there.
1 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

Batman
White Belt
Languages: Ukrainian (native), Russian (native), English (intermediate), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby Batman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:02 am

Ezy Ryder wrote:I've been through this as well. That's why I'll usually ctrl+A ctrl+C before clicking "preview" or "submit". Sometimes I'll even write a draft in a word processor first hh

Yes, I gonna be doing the same from now on.

ロータス wrote:Clicking the back button didnt bring the post back? That usually works for me. Or just copying the post before hitting submit

Sadly, no, it didn't work like that for me, and I tried really hard (if clicking back can be "really hard", 哈哈). It happened second time for me, and this time I wrote kinda big update, so it was... painful. I hope I will be more careful next time, after two failures like that.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Batman, you said that you would write a list of Chinese sentences. I haven't seen your list yet. did you forget it?
How's your Chinese learning recently?
0 x

Batman
White Belt

Postby Batman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 am

Batur wrote:Batman, you said that you would write a list of Chinese sentences. I haven't seen your list yet. did you forget it?
How's your Chinese learning recently?

Yes, I will! This week was weak. But I am back to Glossika. And doing some other stuff chaotically from time to time.
Not enough for update, but I will write something.
I am trying to listen to some podcasts, and I don't understand much, but I can understand some words and it's fun: https://www.poddb.me/shw-8e2979966ebd5a4d
https://www.poddb.me/shw-72da845b95d796aa
Will be grateful for any recommendations with podcasts!
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Batman wrote:Will be grateful for any recommendations with podcasts!

I used to listen podcasts on an app called podbean, but gradually I gave up listening them.
Podcasts is very convenient especially when I ride a metro.
I'll try to find some podcasts, and let you know :-)

Podcast is translated into "播客", while Blog is "博客"
And Chinese version of twitter is called "微博", which basically means "small blog"
Similarly, wechat is "微信", "信" is message here. eg: "信息"
1 x

Batman
White Belt

Postby Batman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:37 am

I basically stopped learning Chinese August-September. I am trying to get back on track now. The way to learning Chinese is not simple and shiny for me, but no one to blame for it.
I even canceled my Memrise subscription. I don't think I need it now, considering my financial situation and abundance of free resources. Even free Memrise is a lot.
0 x

Batman
White Belt

Postby Batman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:56 pm

I am trying to read aloud

《山行》 杜牧
远上寒山石径斜,
白云生处有人家。
停车坐爱枫林晚,
霜叶红于二月花。

But it doesn't sound good at all =(

“Shānxíng” dùmù
yuǎn shàng hánshān shí jìng xié,
báiyún shēng chù yǒu rénjiā.
Tíngchē zuò ài fēng lín wǎn,
shuāng yè hóng yú èr yuè huā.

I don't get the rhythm of Chinese poetry too. I am so much used to poetry that rhymes. When I was reading Ukrainian and/or Russian translations of Chinese poems, they were almost always rhymed. False memories? I am not sure if that's the same poem:

Ду Му (803-852)
Поїздка в гори (з китайської переклав Володимир Урусов.)

В далекі гори зимові крутим брущатим шляхом їду.
Де білих хмар глибінь – там люди теж живуть.
Спинив візка і насолоджуюсь вечірнім краєвидом –
Яскравіше весняних квітів листочки клена в інеї цвітуть.

UPD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp-dkBdipoc
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 am

Batman wrote:I am trying to read aloud

《山行》 杜牧
远上寒山石径斜,
白云生处有人家。
停车坐爱枫林晚,
霜叶红于二月花。

But it doesn't sound good at all =(

I don't get the rhythm of Chinese poetry too. I am so much used to poetry that rhymes.

As far as I know,

1. Old Chinese sounds different from Modern Mandarin. Poems that rhyme in Old Chinese may not rhyme in Mandarin. They may rhyme better in Modern Cantonese because Modern Cantonese resembles Old Chinese more than Mandarin does.

2. Chinese poetry has its own set of rules, see Classical Chinese poetry forms from Wikipedia. I don't want to read that article, but AFAIK, instead of having the vowels rhyme as in the 1st verse of "Jingle Bells" (snow - sleigh // go - way), Chinese poetry pair up tonal groups, group 平 goes with group 平, group 仄 goes with group 仄, or something like that.

2a. You can say that (some) English poems rhyme in the vowel, while Chinese poems rhyme in phonological aspects other than the vowel. I don't know about Ukranian ones.

2b. Traditional Chinese phonology does not use the (western?) consonant 輔音 - vowel 元音 distinction anyway, so Chinese isn't considered to have vowels anyway, so there'd be no vowels to rhyme in the first place. Chinese uses the 聲母-韻母 distinction instead. So, instead of ZHAN having 3 parts, consonant-vowel-consonant ZH-A-N, in Chinese phonology it only has 2 parts, ZH-AN.

3. Some of the above may be wrong.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi, Batman

It's been while I used this forum last time. I am trying to keep on writing my language log here. I hope your mandarin learning goes well.
:-)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”