Sol's New Russian & Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Sol's New Russian & Korean Log

Postby Stelle » Sat May 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I've researched teaching ESL quite a bit, and I can confirm that to get an E-2 visa for teaching ESL in South Korea, you need a bachelor's degree. The TESOL makes you more employable, but it isn't technically necessary. The Bachelor's is necessary for visa purposes.

The E-2 visa has some other requirements as well: you have to have a passport from an "approved" English-speaking country (I think Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, Ireland, the United States), and you need to have studied from grade 7 up in English in one of those countries. Even though we're both Canadian citizens with Bachelor's degrees from English-language Canadian universities, my husband and I are disqualified from E-2 visas - him because he was born in the Philippines and finished high school there before moving to Canada, and me because I went to school in French in Canada up until grade 12.

I think that young people (under 30?) from certain countries could circumvent these requirements by applying for a working holiday visa (if their country has an agreement with SK) instead of an E-2 visa.
1 x

Sol
Orange Belt
Languages: (N) Bulgarian, English
Learning: Greek, Korean
Future: French, Italian, Russian
Paused: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18342

Postby Sol » Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 pm

qeadz wrote:
Sol wrote:PS. This is confusing... The lesson consistently separated the "아무" from the things like "때도" but in the test they were together like 아무데도. Is there a reason for this, or just some big mistake he made?

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out from this too!

Strangely I learned these as 아무데나 (any place) and 아무 때나 (any time) - with the odd quirk that the former has no space but the latter does. However after reading your post I started looking for native materials and I am seeing BOTH with and without space in both of these cases!

There may be some official rule somewhere but it would appear that Koreans (assuming they are the sources of the sample sentences I am finding on Naver and the like) don't really know which to use.

I've noticed inconsistencies with spacing in corrections I have received. Not just with these words, but other cases too.

Asked about it on HiNative and it turns out it is like 아무 데나.

1 x
Korean
TTMIK: 45 / 305 (45/305 lessons)
SC22-23 Books: 3 / 5000 (3/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 2260 / 9000 (2260/9000 minutes)

Greek
SC22-23 Books: 22 / 5000 (22/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 am

Deleted - posted twice!
Last edited by Oscard587 on Sun May 28, 2017 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 am

Sol wrote:Officially written through 1/3 of my new notebook. I've been marathoning Korean for the past few days and I'm kind of worried I'm going through so much content that my brain isn't processing it all, or it's too much at once, even though I have the time and I want to study a lot.

I've noticed myself starting to translate stuff people say. For example, I was thinking about the moment my friend told me he doesn't eat steak and suddenly "왜 안 먹어?" popped up in my head. :D I remember this happening when I was moving up the Spanish ladder. Some other random Korean words also pop up in my head throughout the day, randomly. Today I kept thinking "기분" and didn't know what it meant till I looked it up and realized it meant "emotion" and I'd remembered it from some show weeks ago.

Maybe some Koreans can chime in here -- how do you normally handwrite ㅎ and ㅊ? Like the left or right?

Both are right - It depends on your habit. But as you can see on Korean keyboard, it seems letters on the right side is more frequently used
0 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:58 am

Sayonaroo wrote:Like the left but you can write it like the right if you want.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJHpLW1jo6m/?hl=en
I'm pretty sure most people write ㄹ in one stroke even though it's technically three. Like with any language writing system, eventually people get lazy and annoyed and do whatever is the easiest and fastest way to write

Nope, not the left. In Korean orthography rule, they decided it as 'ㅎ' the letter in the right side.

That's the reason why Korean keyboard and elementary textbooks(for Koreans) use ㅎ as a basic letter instead of the left side - letter in the left side is just accepted, but not basic form of our letter. Just letters definitely deformed during writing, so we don't care.

Here is the answer

https://www.korean.go.kr/front/onlineQn ... ageIndex=7

Is there anyone who write it separately in real life? That happens when they wanna decorate something with caligraphy..

Lazy... Personally I'm the person who write ㅂ in one stroke so have nothing to say.. :D :oops:
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Just wanted share this because in the picture you used the lines look parallel but the top line is supposed to be slanted. Your basic question was whether or not they should touch or not and it doesn't matter

These are pages from a schoolbook for Korean first graders
https://postimg.org/image/a99xn09ud/

https://postimg.org/image/dmxz6n72p/
1 x

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am

Sayonaroo wrote:Just wanted share this because in the picture you used the lines look parallel but the top line is supposed to be slanted. Your basic question was whether or not they should touch or not and it doesn't matter

These are pages from a schoolbook for Korean first graders
https://postimg.org/image/a99xn09ud/

https://postimg.org/image/dmxz6n72p/

Thanks for that! I never knew. I should look at some basic children's books to get an idea of how they learn the basics.
0 x
Korean

Greek

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 am

Started adding in ~30 mins of Russian a day again! I found Кухня subbed on YT, finally! I wish more Russian shows were subbed, I really wanted to watch Физрук but there are no subs anywhere :( If only there was a Viki for Russian shows!! It would be heaven. I like Russian humor because it's offensive and similar to Bulgarian :D They really don't hold back on anything, which is a contrast to Korean shows.

I've been using Lingvist for Russian, which is kind of like Clozemaster but much more comprehensive with charts and grammar tips. It's pretty good, and they're adding languages really quickly. The last time I checked it, only French was available. I also looked at some Gloss lessons, which are more immersive.

Russian is more difficult for me to learn because I confuse my proficiency level as I can understand MUCH more than I produce, and fool myself into thinking I know words. I'm not a complete beginner, but not advanced, and it's hard to find material for intermediate leaners in any language.

Anyway I've been doing some thinking and I think that after Korean and Russian, I'll learn either Arabic, Persian or Turkish. I really can't decide. Which has the most helpful community?
0 x
Korean

Greek

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 pm

My mum was talking about how she wanted to polish up her Russian so I gave her the Brothers Karamazov book I bought a few months back. My dad, who is fluent in Russian, said the Russian used in that book is very different (and now outdated) to how Russians talk so it's hard for even him to understand sometimes. My mum's been steadily making it through that brick of a book and telling me how she's learning words again through context because she can't be bothered to look them up :D She used to teach Russian in Bulgaria and my dad lived there so they frequently watch Russian movies together and drop a few Russian words here and there as a joke. When I was young and wrote stories, my dad would joke around and tell me "я книгу пишу". He still calls the car машина, school школо, and dogs собака. We all like to fangirl over any Russian we hear. :lol: I never noticed how this language has crept into our lives. Still, considering how long ago they used Russian, I'm surprised they still understand it.

I'm doing about 100-200 words on Lingvist a day, and it's really helping. I've replaced the Duolingo goals with Lingvist, and stopped using the Penguin course because its pace isn't appropriate for me as someone who speaks a slavic language already and can grasp certain concepts faster. I'm thinking of adding a goal of 1 советский мультфильм a day from here. Damn, Russian has such good resources on YouTube.

I almost dropped it, but I've been reading some Russian material and seeing just how quickly I can learn this language thanks to my Bulgarian-ness (?? :D) and decided I can't give this opportunity up. I mean, I understood everything here with barely any Russian study in my life:

Дорогие ребята и уважаемые родители, представляем вам детский канал с хорошими добрыми мультфильмами. У нас вы найдете самые интересные российские и зарубежные мультсериалы на любой вкус и возраст и сможете смотреть мультфильмы онлайн бесплатно.

That reminds me, why are Soviet cartoons so popular in Russia?
1 x
Korean

Greek

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Huh, so I've been reading on ~ and how it indicates a past action that you are remembering that happened multiple times and may still be carrying on today.

Is that kind of like the inferential tense in Bulgarian?

Чел е книга. - He's read a book.
It's used when the speaker did not witness that thing themselves or isn't completely certain it happened.

Or a similar tense which is structured the same way but it used expressing an action which happened in the past, but the precise moment when it happened is not specified. It is either not known or not important (wikipedia).

It sounds different to the Korean concept but I got that vibe from the explanation, that this is how it's structured.

As a side note, this Bulgarian tense is structured like the normal Russian past tense, which has been confusing me.
0 x
Korean

Greek

Return to “Language logs”